Jump on the Z Fold 3 or wait for the S22U with Spen silo?

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
I currently have the S21 Ultra. Amazon has the unlocked US version for $1500 now which is a great price and you get it in a couple days.

I'm tempted, BUT as we know the S22 ultra comes out in Feb which is soon and shoudl have the Spen silo build in and the large, boxy screen and will have better specs than the older Fold that's been out since late Aug.

Should I wait and see what the S22 specs are and then see if there are better deals then? If I want a Z fold 3 I would think even better deals right before the S line launches in late Jan.

I know the camera isn't nearly as good as the S21 Ultra.

Flossy and Saki say keep the S21 Ultra if you already on it and wait to see what the S22 Ultra/Note offers.

I know Samsung.com offers better trade in value BUT I think I want to keep the S21 Ultra as a backup phone and Amazon being 300 cheaper is a huge savings and easier to deal with if you have an issue like shipped broken device, etc. Much easier than dealing with Sammy customer support.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
I see Amazon is offering a free Buds 2 with theirs as well. If not trading in a device this is a better deal than Samsung.com. Might be tempted to get the 512gb for just 100 more from Amazon.

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site
Ultimately the choice is yours my friend.

If you dont need to trade in then yes keep your current phone as a back up.

In regards go the Fold 3 it's really if your interested in the form factor of a Fold phone and what it brings to the table.

I'll certainly by looking at the Samsung Galaxy s22 and what it brings to the table too.

Wether it'll have an s pen silo or not hasn't been officially clarified yet.

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
I currently have the S21 Ultra. Amazon has the unlocked US version for $1500 now which is a great price and you get it in a couple days.

I'm tempted, BUT as we know the S22 ultra comes out in Feb which is soon and shoudl have the Spen silo build in and the large, boxy screen and will have better specs than the older Fold that's been out since late Aug.

Should I wait and see what the S22 specs are and then see if there are better deals then? If I want a Z fold 3 I would think even better deals right before the S line launches in late Jan.

Flossy and Saki say keep the S21 Ultra if you already on it and wait to see what the S22 Ultra/Note offers.

I know Samsung.com offers better trade in value BUT I think I want to keep the S21 Ultra as a backup phone and Amazon being 300 cheaper is a huge savings and easier to deal with if you have an issue like shipped broken device, etc. Much easier than dealing with Sammy customer support.
Both!!!

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, now that I have been using the Z Fold 3 for a few months as my daily driver, I am so used to this format that it's second nature for me now. I use the outer (small) screen a LOT for quick little things and getting used to it was not much of an issue. The inner screen is just fantastic for consuming content and playing games. I pick up another phone (like my S21) and it feels... well... lacking... :p

This is the case I have, and so car, has been GREAT because I now have a place to put the SPen and keep with with me without fearing it getting lost:

https://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=1029233&p=7014681&viewfull=1#post7014681

It's a bit bulkier than most like, but it works great for me! :D

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
What about keeping the S21U and buying a Tab s7 Plus on sale instead? I know in Feb the Tab s8 is coming out there.

My one concern is the beach. If I go to the beach but have a thick case with hinge protection should I still be okay as long as I don't throw it in the sand? The Jerry Rig video he poured that sand all over it and it faired well though.

But as I said I had a customer at my cell shop show me his fold and it got sand or dirt in the hinge and doesn't quit open flush all the way. UnbreakIfix said to keep working it and it should come out.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
What about keeping the S21U and buying a Tab s7 Plus on sale instead? I know in Feb the Tab s8 is coming out there.

My one concern is the beach. If I go to the beach but have a thick case with hinge protection should I still be okay as long as I don't throw it in the sand? The Jerry Rig video he poured that sand all over it and it faired well though.

But as I said I had a customer at my cell shop show me his fold and it got sand or dirt in the hinge and doesn't quit open flush all the way. UnbreakIfix said to keep working it and it should come out.
Keep it protected if you decide to go with it at the beach

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I think you cant go wrong either way , if you need a phone that turns into a tablet your going choose the fold , if you looking for upgrade from current phone then most likely going the s21 route

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
I think you cant go wrong either way , if you need a phone that turns into a tablet your going choose the fold , if you looking for upgrade from current phone then most likely going the s21 route

Well in 2 months the S22 Ultra with built in Spen, better camera, and processor will be out then myself and many others will want to switch to that.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Well in 2 months the S22 Ultra with built in Spen, better camera, and processor will be out then myself and many others will want to switch to that.
That is true, s21u still one of the best of the best if want save some money , Fold³ is on whole different level so i would take your time which way to go.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
That is true, s21u still one of the best of the best if want save some money , Fold³ is on whole different level so i would take your time which way to go.

I currently have the S21U so I'm just thinking it's probably better to wait until Feb and get the S22U. What's the cover screen like on the Fold 3? Is it too narrow for texting after being used to an Ultra or Note phone? I need a new tablet so I'm just wondering if it's better to get a regular size tablet like the discounted Tab S7 and then buying an S22U. Then I got a full size tablet plus also a phone with better camera.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I currently have the S21U so I'm just thinking it's probably better to wait until Feb and get the S22U. What's the cover screen like on the Fold 3? Is it too narrow for texting after being used to an Ultra or Note phone? I need a new tablet so I'm just wondering if it's better to get a regular size tablet like the discounted Tab S7 and then buying an S22U. Then I got a full size tablet plus also a phone with better camera.
It is narrow but you get use to it , definitely smaller width and hight to the Note 20u i have , if u can get a chance to play with it see what you think about fold3

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
It is narrow but you get use to it , definitely smaller width and hight to the Note 20u i have , if u can get a chance to play with it see what you think about fold3

I think I'll order a tab S7 Plus for work. Amazon has it for $700 as well as Best Buy and will get the Galaxy Watch 4 classic along with a case comes out to around $1100 with taxes and a case and I'm still coming out way ahead instead of buying the Fold 3 for $1500 from Amazon and then the spen and then the case.

Because the S22 Ultra will be out in a couple of months I already know I'll want that. If it doesn't have built in spen I "might" consider fold 3 if they discount it even more. I live in Southwest FL so sand is an issue. I notice my s22 ultra also collects a lot of dirt as well.

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
The tab S7 plus is a very nice device and definitely worth the money. Although I'm ready for the release of the S8 it's not due to me being bored of the S7 plus. I'm just a sucker for new gadgets lol...

Toes Up

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site

I really like my Fold3 but, frankly, I do have problems typing on the cover screen. Perhaps it's just me though.

As to sand, in my experience even if I just drive by the beach I will get sand in everything I own. No problems yet though with this phone.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I think I'll order a tab S7 Plus for work. Amazon has it for $700 as well as Best Buy and will get the Galaxy Watch 4 classic along with a case comes out to around $1100 with taxes and a case and I'm still coming out way ahead instead of buying the Fold 3 for $1500 from Amazon and then the spen and then the case.

Because the S22 Ultra will be out in a couple of months I already know I'll want that. If it doesn't have built in spen I "might" consider fold 3 if they discount it even more. I live in Southwest FL so sand is an issue. I notice my s22 ultra also collects a lot of dirt as well.
Good combo ,

TMavC5

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

I might jump ship if Telsa Pi releases their phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech