One UI 4 / Android 12 final serious issues

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I've never owned a Samsung smartphone until recently, just played with a couple here and there over the years. After reading this stuff, I might hold out on setting my new Z Flip 3 up until after they get this update mess straightened out (which has been going on with the Android 12 update for too long now). I'd rather not use it than have an update nightmare, or even worse a brand new bricked phone. I've personally never had a bad os update on any phone I've ever had. And that covers low end to mid range to flagships.

Samsung always seems to struggle with updates in every area... with the premium price and brand recognition they have, I wonder how many resources they're actually investing in making their update situation work like it should? They really need to make it a priority if they're going to present themselves as the best phones money can buy. Amazing hardware isn't much good if it gets the same quality and quantity of software update support as phones half the price.

I think a huge problem for Samsung is they have WAY too many phone models they're trying to support... either support the phones you make properly, or make less phones so you can focus on supporting the phones you do make properly.

Shoving as many different phone models as you can out the door to make more money, while supporting them like crap, will become counterproductive when you develop a reputation for extremely buggy, slow, and minimal updates... especially to your flagships :eek:

I know they've tried to improve their update situation, but they still have a long way to go to match the prices they ask for their phones in general, and their premium phones in particular.

When people are scrambling to protect their $1000+ phones from phone breaking bad updates, and updates this late in the game are getting pulled, it's not a good look for the company.. and sure doesn't build confidence in the customers :(

bkeaver

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
@J Dubbs I think you are over reacting and over exaggerating this issue. Samsung does not struggle on their updates in all areas as you claim, and with all the devices I have had over the years, I personally have never had any issues. The only region that even has the update is s. Korea and they halted the rollout until issues are ironed out. All manufacturers have had issues at one time or another with updates, it happens even with Apple. The one that comes to my mind is IOS 8, in which they had to pull it because of issues.

People can do what they think best for them, however I don't think blocking the update I warranted at this point considering the rollout will need to resume in Korea before it goes to other regions.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
@J Dubbs

People can do what they think best for them, however I don't think blocking the update I warranted at this point considering the rollout will need to resume in Korea before it goes to other regions.

Blocking the update is very warranted. It's never a big deal, or is not wide spread issues as long as it isn't our phone. Updates always effect the phone operation, apps aren't updated to run with it, then we hear you have to give the developers time to update their apps, if they ever do. Sometimes it effects the phone as it is in Korea. Every update is the same, we see posts such as can't wait for the update, what's taking so long. Then the update comes and then we see the posts start up as this don't work anymore, where did this go, and occasionally phone is bricked, so on.

My phone works fine, I have yet seen any real reason I need the update, I've seen this being moved that don't need moved, I've seen some issues on the s21 series, and all be it small, I've seen serious issues with it on the folds. I imagine the people with the effected phones in Korea aren't real thrilled.

I want to block All updates and install it if "I" want to install it. My phone works, I'll decide when and if I install the update and I don't have to deal with the annoying reminders and eventually be forced into it. In the end you're right, people can do what is best for them, and bicking the update is best for some.

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
@J Dubbs I think you are over reacting and over exaggerating this issue. Samsung does not struggle on their updates in all areas as you claim, and with all the devices I have had over the years, I personally have never had any issues. The only region that even has the update is s. Korea and they halted the rollout until issues are ironed out. All manufacturers have had issues at one time or another with updates, it happens even with Apple. The one that comes to my mind is IOS 8, in which they had to pull it because of issues.

I have to agree here. Sammy has had some issues, just like everyone else, however, they are also a victim of their own success as well.

If Sammy only sold a handful of phones now and then with marginal success and they had software issues, it would not make headlines like it does now. Only because they are, and I HATE to say it this way, the "Apple" of Android, they get a LOT of press for every little thing.

Killing the update services KNOWING that they HALTED the update rollout in the ONE COUNTRY it was released in (which happens to be their HQ country) while they fix it is, well, a LOT overly paranoid to me.

At this point, at least in my book, Sammy is doing the RIGHT THING here. This should NOT be looked at as Negative Press (as much as the Media wants to spin it this way), but a success story of a company DOING THE RIGHT THING.

That's just me though. :)

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I have to agree here. Sammy has had some issues, just like everyone else, however, they are also a victim of their own success as well.

If Sammy only sold a handful of phones now and then with marginal success and they had software issues, it would not make headlines like it does now. Only because they are, and I HATE to say it this way, the "Apple" of Android, they get a LOT of press for every little thing.

Killing the update services KNOWING that they HALTED the update rollout in the ONE COUNTRY it was released in (which happens to be their HQ country) while they fix it is, well, a LOT overly paranoid to me.

At this point, at least in my book, Sammy is doing the RIGHT THING here. This should NOT be looked at as Negative Press (as much as the Media wants to spin it this way), but a success story of a company DOING THE RIGHT THING.

That's just me though. :)
I understand that, but for some people updates are not needed, we don't want to go thru the wait for developers to get updated if need be. I like to block updates to at least after good lock is updated to work. I don't see this as a major issue and yes Samsung addressed it right away. I like to block all updates till I feel it's good.

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I understand that, but for some people updates are not needed, we don't want to go thru the wait for developers to get updated if need be. I like to block updates to at least after good lock is updated to work. I don't see this as a major issue and yes Samsung addressed it right away. I like to block all updates till I feel it's good.

In that context, makes sense. :)

mlblack16

Apr 29, 2016
Visit site

Word, I love Good Lock

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site

Sammy has came a long way with their update program thanks to pressure from the consumers... quicker security updates, longer support, and hopefully even 3 guaranteed years of OS updates for their flagships ;) That's why I've spent the most money I ever have on a phone buying a Samsung :p That and their hardware kicks butt lol.

But I'm still not sold on Sammy sending out major OS updates that aren't going to have more issues, and be more stressful to work with than other companies. I guess the proof will end up being in the pudding ;)

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Sammy has came a long way with their update program thanks to pressure from the consumers... quicker security updates, longer support, and hopefully even 3 guaranteed years of OS updates for their flagships ;) That's why I've spent the most money I ever have on a phone buying a Samsung :p That and their hardware kicks butt lol.

But I'm still not sold on Sammy sending out major OS updates that aren't going to have more issues, and be more stressful to work with than other companies. I guess the proof will end up being in the pudding ;)

I work in application delivery and let me tell you, it's a major PITA when things are tested and tested and then the Production Rollout has issues.

I can just imagine the fire-drills they are going through right now trying to get this out ASAP.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I work in application delivery and let me tell you, it's a major PITA when things are tested and tested and then the Production Rollout has issues.

I can just imagine the fire-drills they are going through right now trying to get this out ASAP.

You have a good point.... I know it's a ton of work to get something this complicated out to multiple devices, while trying to catch every bug :eek: Fire drills is a good way to put it lol. In the end we'll have awesome phones running Android 12... we just need to be patient, me included ;)

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
You have a good point.... I know it's a ton of work to get something this complicated out to multiple devices, while trying to catch every bug :eek: Fire drills is a good way to put it lol. In the end we'll have awesome phones running Android 12... we just need to be patient, me included ;)
I can be patient, I can wait till next the fold.

This is where apple wins.. They are in control of the software and hardware, so there's less of a chance for issues, notice I said less of a chance, I didn't say no chance, I know they have had issues also. Android is made for several manufacturers and tweaked by each one making lots of room for issues.

It'll get here soon enough, have you heard any news on it yet, any beta testers been notified yet on progress or asked to test something else??

OJsakila

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
why block anything? Samsung ALREADY stopped the update. And as far as I know, its been CORRECTED. The update is now LIVE.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc