Going back to non-foldable?

luzgemacht

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm so embarrassed to admit to everyone that I'm dropping that fold 3 that I was so proud of and I didn't stop bragging what a super phone it is, but I couldn't hold back, I just paid off my super expensive fold 3 to TMobile so I could trade it in for my new s22 ultra who should arrive by Thursday, wish me luck
Hi all, welcome to my S22 ultra, am I still aloud to write here? Lol... Just a minor update, I think I did a smart choice with choosing the ultra, since it's a pretty large phone so the change isn't so painful, and so far so good, I used to find it challenging on the fold when I juggled between the 2 screens and couldn't find my place when browsing social media, I loved the fold when I used it for work (multi tasking) and reading PDF's etc or watching, but it was kinda painful to use in bed when I'm taking my time to enjoy social media, especially Instagram which is just sad that you literally can't enjoy it on the fold (ye I never told anyone about it until now cause I was the cool guy with the cool phone, but now I can admit it) so now I'm kinda happy, I'll miss the big screen, but this new phone is cool and yummy. Ok bye all

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Hi all, welcome to my S22 ultra, am I still aloud to write here? Lol... Just a minor update, I think I did a smart choice with choosing the ultra, since it's a pretty large phone so the change isn't so painful, and so far so good, I used to find it challenging on the fold when I juggled between the 2 screens and couldn't find my place when browsing social media, I loved the fold when I used it for work (multi tasking) and reading PDF's etc or watching, but it was kinda painful to use in bed when I'm taking my time to enjoy social media, especially Instagram which is just sad that you literally can't enjoy it on the fold (ye I never told anyone about it until now cause I was the cool guy with the cool phone, but now I can admit it) so now I'm kinda happy, I'll miss the big screen, but this new phone is cool and yummy. Ok bye all
Since you got a different phone you are not allowed to talk on this forum anymore. You will no longer have any useful information for us in here. You're going to be blinded by be shiny new eye candy and not to mention the 2 phones are completely different and there's no need for cross contamination of inferior phones to the fold such as the S22U. So please disregard what I just said, I'm just goofing on you. Of course you can come in here and talk. It's how we all learn by chatting in different forums. Both phones are good for their intended uses. I have both but I find using the fold suits my needs better. I might start using the S22U more now that I have the tab 8 and I can make use of the share text and calls feature. I've been using the tablet at home now so the mobility of the S22U might be the better option as I don't need the big screen on the go as much. I won't switch to the S22U until I get the unlocked firmware flashed to it since Verizon has determined what I need and don't need and took the share text and call feature off the Verizon branded phones. I am sure you will be happy with the S22U. Don't trade in your fold till you have to, use the S22U for a week first. This way you have better idea if you are happy with it. Keeping the fold for a week gives you the option to go back to the fold if it turns out you would rather go with the fold, once you send it in you lose that option. Get past the honeymoon stage with the new phone.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I've never had a foldable phone but I imagine the pull to switch back and forth would be intense! You gotta do what's right for you!

Toes Up

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
"I am sure you will be happy with the S22U. Don't trade in your fold till you have to, use the S22U for a week first. This way you have better idea if you are happy with it."

Solid advice. Rushmore (long time AC member, not the mountain) referred to it as "pixie dust."

boufa

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I have given up on my Z Fold 3. I just sent it back in to get a screen replacement for small cracks in the crease. Should be a warranty repair. Back with my Note 20... and forgot how much I loved it. I realized how many compromises I made to enjoy the novelty of the z Fold. Gonna hold my Z Fold until my payments are up with AT&T or until upgrade option, and trade in my Note 20 Ultra for a S22 Ultra until then. Good by Z fold. Anyone want a pen?

ElConquistador1963

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I needed a spare phone, just in case. (Who the hell is Justin anyway? And what's his case? Sounds like a creep to me. And why do we keep firing at Will? He must have pissed off a LOT of people!) Sorry

I have the fold 3. I absolutely love it. I bought the S22U as a secondary/spare. Sent my fold 3 in for inner screen protector repairs (what a debacle that has been) was without my fold 3 for about 2 weeks. I couldn't wait to get my fold back. I HATED the S22U! I have become so accustomed to the larger screen of the fold, I couldn't even think straight when looking at the smaller (but large compared to others) screen. I absolutely wanted to throw it out the window at times. And the s pen pro or the s pen fold edition wouldn't work on it either. I am a HEAVY s pen user on all my devices. While waiting for repairs that never happened (another thread), I broke down and bought another fold 3. The new and the non repaired both arrived the same day and I happily sent the S22U back to Samsung. I don't regret buying a 2nd fold at all. The only replacement I want now is a newer model when it comes out. I think I'll get a good trade in for it. I now have 2 flip 3. S7+ 5g. S8 Ultra and now the Book 2 360. Bigger screens work for me. No regrets at all.

Chris5626

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
In the end I was able to resist... got myself a new laptop instead (curse my love of tech!).

Big thanks for everyone who shared their thoughts, very helpful!

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I needed a spare phone, just in case. (Who the hell is Justin anyway? And what's his case? Sounds like a creep to me. And why do we keep firing at Will? He must have pissed off a LOT of people!) Sorry

I have the fold 3. I absolutely love it. I bought the S22U as a secondary/spare. Sent my fold 3 in for inner screen protector repairs (what a debacle that has been) was without my fold 3 for about 2 weeks. I couldn't wait to get my fold back. I HATED the S22U! I have become so accustomed to the larger screen of the fold, I couldn't even think straight when looking at the smaller (but large compared to others) screen. I absolutely wanted to throw it out the window at times. And the s pen pro or the s pen fold edition wouldn't work on it either. I am a HEAVY s pen user on all my devices. While waiting for repairs that never happened (another thread), I broke down and bought another fold 3. The new and the non repaired both arrived the same day and I happily sent the S22U back to Samsung. I don't regret buying a 2nd fold at all. The only replacement I want now is a newer model when it comes out. I think I'll get a good trade in for it. I now have 2 flip 3. S7+ 5g. S8 Ultra and now the Book 2 360. Bigger screens work for me. No regrets at all.
What was the big deal on replacing the screen on your fold 3. I'm getting ready to do the same thing. I can't tell if it's the screen protector or the actual screen cracking in my fold 3.

ElConquistador1963

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Its probably the protector. But its not determined until they tale it off. But if you have ANY cosmetic or fair wear and tear, they will say you are out of warranty. IMO its a scam.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Its probably the protector. But its not determined until they tale it off. But if you have ANY cosmetic or fair wear and tear, they will say you are out of warranty. IMO its a scam.
Samsung is only on their third fold and they want to push the folding phones. I would think Samsung would want to exercise caution on this issue. If they are going to claim out of warranty for normal wear and tear, people might just decide the folding phones are to risky. The screen protector is bubbling at the bottom crease, which is a real possibility being it is constantly being folded.

It goes in to a ubreakit facility Friday morning. I decided not to send it in and talk with real people and get their input as they are looking at it in person. I think it's just the protector, but it's hard to tell and I don't want to mess with it and give Samsung a reason to say it's my fault for tampering with it. I love my fold, so hopefully Samsung doesn't cause me to hate folds with a bad experience over a screen protector. I'm ok spending $20 to replace the screen protector, but IMO while under the warranty Samsung should cover it. I know it's a wearable item, but while Samsung is pushing the new technology they should cover it to avoid negative attention. Just my thoughts

Yguideslou

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Samsung is only on their third fold and they want to push the folding phones. I would think Samsung would want to exercise caution on this issue. If they are going to claim out of warranty for normal wear and tear, people might just decide the folding phones are to risky. The screen protector is bubbling at the bottom crease, which is a real possibility being it is constantly being folded.

It goes in to a ubreakit facility Friday morning. I decided not to send it in and talk with real people and get their input as they are looking at it in person. I think it's just the protector, but it's hard to tell and I don't want to mess with it and give Samsung a reason to say it's my fault for tampering with it. I love my fold, so hopefully Samsung doesn't cause me to hate folds with a bad experience over a screen protector. I'm ok spending $20 to replace the screen protector, but IMO while under the warranty Samsung should cover it. I know it's a wearable item, but while Samsung is pushing the new technology they should cover it to avoid negative attention. Just my thoughts

Technically they're on their 4th foldable.

After the launch debacle, they completely redesigned the hinge, and how the screen protector, (or whatever exactly that part that everyone was peeling off was called), attached to it, going under it, so folks couldn't pull it off and brick their $2k phones... to me, when you make that extensive a hardware change, that's the Fold 2, (some dubbed it the Fold 1.5, lol).

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Technically they're on their 4th foldable.

After the launch debacle, they completely redesigned the hinge, and how the screen protector, (or whatever exactly that part that everyone was peeling off was called), attached to it, going under it, so folks couldn't pull it off and brick their $2k phones... to me, when you make that extensive a hardware change, that's the Fold 2, (some dubbed it the Fold 1.5, lol).

I am going to stay with they are on the third. IMO, until number 4 releases it doesn't exist. Samsung could just pull the plug and say it's over for fold, however unlikely, still a possibility.

They keep improving them. The under screen camera is my best part of the fold 3. I keep hearing the fold 4 will have it and won't have it. That will probably determine if I upgrade to the 4. Dust resistant would be a welcome addition.

werkx

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I have given up on my Z Fold 3. I just sent it back in to get a screen replacement for small cracks in the crease. Should be a warranty repair. Back with my Note 20... and forgot how much I loved it. I realized how many compromises I made to enjoy the novelty of the z Fold. Gonna hold my Z Fold until my payments are up with AT&T or until upgrade option, and trade in my Note 20 Ultra for a S22 Ultra until then. Good by Z fold. Anyone want a pen?

Wait, what compromise in using the Fold as opposed to S22U? Camera? Thickness of phone? What else?