Should I?

jordans0nly

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Right now I use an iPhone 13 Pro. But the Z Fold 3 is making me want to try it out, again.

The main things that bugged me about the phone the 1st time was the aspect ratios of the apps. When the phone was opened, most apps didnt fit the screen properly. Yes I did change to different size ratios and still didn't seem to fit the screen quite right.

Has that issue been fixed for most apps? FB, IG etc? Another thing that sorry of bugged me and maybe it was the screen protector, was the foldable screen. Had a different sheen or look than the front screen or just about any other smartphone really.

On the fence about giving it another go.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I would hold off unless there's a huge price drop this close to the fold 4.

I would also hold off on what my results are going to be. I sent my fold 3 in for repairs. On the inside screen it is starting to bubble up and there's a crack forming where it bends. Getting it fixed under warranty thru Samsung is proving to be problematic. I finally contacted ubreakifix, Samsung approved service center, and I'm sending it to them. Ubreakifix is saying that getting Samsung to cover the screen is iffy, they claim physical damage even though there's no damage on phones anywhere. They said this is a common issue with the fold and flip. I checked with a different cell repair center and they said they get this issue all the time and said same thing, Samsung is iffy at covering screen under warranty. They both said Samsung will cover the screen protector. Replacing the screen was quoted at $539+ tax. I have the Samsung premium so I'll pay the $249 deductible if they don't cover it. I will then just put the fold in my safe and use it for trade in on next year's S23U.

My history with the folds.. Fold 2 had to be sent in for hinge repair, covered under warranty. Fold 3 having the screen issue, warranty coverage is to be determined. If Samsung denies the screen with only 8 months of of usage with failure for it's normal intended use I'll sadly be done with the folds for awhile. Even if Samsung covers the screen I might be done for awhile. I have been on the phone and chat with Samsung for 3+ hours on this getting transferred all over the place, I'm not wanting to do that. With the hinge and screen issue I might have to concede the folds need more work. They are too expensive to have these issues. If you don't believe me call a ubreakifix and ask them if there's any issues with the folds. I don't have confidence that the folds will good 2 or more years without screen issues. I think the folds are a year phone and trade it off. I will let you know how it goes.

Edit.. Here's another post the screens have been discussed and you will see others having issues with warranty on screens.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/to...6&share_fid=4950&share_type=t&link_source=app

jordans0nly

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Well the price is $1399 now and Im sure the new one will be around $1500 at least.

Thanks for the heads-up but there can't be that many ppl with the screen issues.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Well the price is $1399 now and Im sure the new one will be around $1500 at least.

Thanks for the heads-up but there can't be that many ppl with the screen issues.
Didn't think so either till I talked to repair shops. These shops have nothing to gain. I think they see more on repairs then we do. I am a big love for the folds, but I'm a little on the nervous side now. And I can tell you have fun with Samsung if you get it and do have screen crack on the fold.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site

Seems like you are looking for confirmation of a decision you've already made rather than advice to help you make a decision...

tismydroid

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
Seems like you are looking for confirmation of a decision you've already made rather than advice to help you make a decision...
Sounds like he is looking for honest opinions/advice and he's gotten some good ones. I too would wait for the Fold4. They will have trade-in promotions that will probably make it worth the wait and possibly end up costing less than getting the 3rd now.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like he is looking for honest opinions/advice and he's gotten some good ones. I too would wait for the Fold4. They will have trade-in promotions that will probably make it worth the wait and possibly end up costing less than getting the 3rd now.

They have indeed had some good advice, which the post I quoted was quite dismissive of.

jordans0nly

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
They have indeed had some good advice, which the post I quoted was quite dismissive of.
Didn't think I was dismissive, but just questioning the amount of defective screens.

If ubreakifixit says they've seen 50 screens and that's out of thousands upon thousands, seems like a small amount to me.

Plus I was asking about other issues that I had but do appreciate the information about the other problems too.

bkeaver

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site

I don't think there are as many issues with the screen as there is just the protector coming up in the middle where the crease is. People are concerned that it's a defective screen and some may very well be. The majority of those issues are just the protector. I went the route of ubreakifix the first time my protector messed up. The second time I just replaced it with a wsd protector. Been solid ever since.

Toes Up

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I don't think there are as many issues with the screen as there is just the protector coming up in the middle where the crease is. People are concerned that it's a defective screen and some may very well be. The majority of those issues are just the protector. I went the route of ubreakifix the first time my protector messed up. The second time I just replaced it with a wsd protector. Been solid ever since.

The inner screen protector has been problematic for some. However, aren't some people with screen protector problems being told that the screen itself is bad (and not covered under warranty), when in fact they had no idea that the screen was bad?

bkeaver

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
The inner screen protector has been problematic for some. However, aren't some people with screen protector problems being told that the screen itself is bad (and not covered under warranty), when in fact they had no idea that the screen was bad?
They replace the screen to replace the screen protector regardless if it's bad. I think they just call it bad when it really isn't.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I almost pulled the trigger on another Fold³ yesterday (I had 2 at release, black and green). Loved the form factor but wasn't in love with the feeling that I had to baby them. So, saw a Phantom Silver 256GB on Amazon for $1,399 and was like "At this point why not"...but alas, I decided to just wait.

The Fold⁴ might be dust and water resistant and have the S22's cameras and other goodies so gonna. ...even though a Fold³ today could be traded in towards Fold⁴ tomorrow.... hmmm....

jordans0nly

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I almost pulled the trigger on another Fold³ yesterday (I had 2 at release, black and green). Loved the form factor but wasn't in love with the feeling that I had to baby them. So, saw a Phantom Silver 256GB on Amazon for $1,399 and was like "At this point why not"...but alas, I decided to just wait.

The Fold⁴ might be dust and water resistant and have the S22's cameras and other goodies so gonna. ...even though a Fold³ today could be traded in towards Fold⁴ tomorrow.... hmmm....

Thinking the same. But lately I've been seeing ppl on YouTube vids say they're not really babying the phones. Seems to be pretty tough, more so than I thought.

jordans0nly

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site

Thinking the same. But lately I've been seeing ppl on YouTube vids say they're not really babying the phones. Seems to be pretty tough, more so than I thought.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
The phone itself is strong, it's the bend in screen. I'll be finding out soon what my verdict is

I can say for fact the battery is probably the worse battery life I've had in a phone.

Hopefully I get good news on my fold, but fold 2 had to go in for hinge fix and fold 3 is in for possible cracked screen after 8 months normal usage.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
The phone itself is strong, it's the bend in screen. I'll be finding out soon what my verdict is

I can say for fact the battery is probably the worse battery life I've had in a phone.

Hopefully I get good news on my fold, but fold 2 had to go in for hinge fix and fold 3 is in for possible cracked screen after 8 months normal usage.
This is the kind of thing that concerns me and why I let my Fold³'s go in the past. With my S22U's I don't have durability concerns but, yes, I'm missing out on the bleeding edge. We'll see what happens.

jordans0nly

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Just found out from t mobile that they have a promo for adding a line and getting $800 off a Z Fold 3. Comes out to $27.77

Seems like a good deal.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae