06-21-2022 04:31 PM
27 12
tools
    Right now I use an iPhone 13 Pro. But the Z Fold 3 is making me want to try it out, again.

The main things that bugged me about the phone the 1st time was the aspect ratios of the apps. When the phone was opened, most apps didnt fit the screen properly. Yes I did change to different size ratios and still didn't seem to fit the screen quite right.

Has that issue been fixed for most apps? FB, IG etc? Another thing that sorry of bugged me and maybe it was the screen protector, was the foldable screen. Had a different sheen or look than the front screen or just about any other smartphone really.

On the fence about giving it another go.
    05-18-2022 09:24 PM
    I'd say no. At this point just wait 3 1/2 months until the new one comes out.
    05-19-2022 12:38 AM
    I would hold off unless there's a huge price drop this close to the fold 4.

I would also hold off on what my results are going to be. I sent my fold 3 in for repairs. On the inside screen it is starting to bubble up and there's a crack forming where it bends. Getting it fixed under warranty thru Samsung is proving to be problematic. I finally contacted ubreakifix, Samsung approved service center, and I'm sending it to them. Ubreakifix is saying that getting Samsung to cover the screen is iffy, they claim physical damage even though there's no damage on phones anywhere. They said this is a common issue with the fold and flip. I checked with a different cell repair center and they said they get this issue all the time and said same thing, Samsung is iffy at covering screen under warranty. They both said Samsung will cover the screen protector. Replacing the screen was quoted at $539+ tax. I have the Samsung premium so I'll pay the $249 deductible if they don't cover it. I will then just put the fold in my safe and use it for trade in on next year's S23U.

My history with the folds.. Fold 2 had to be sent in for hinge repair, covered under warranty. Fold 3 having the screen issue, warranty coverage is to be determined. If Samsung denies the screen with only 8 months of of usage with failure for it's normal intended use I'll sadly be done with the folds for awhile. Even if Samsung covers the screen I might be done for awhile. I have been on the phone and chat with Samsung for 3+ hours on this getting transferred all over the place, I'm not wanting to do that. With the hinge and screen issue I might have to concede the folds need more work. They are too expensive to have these issues. If you don't believe me call a ubreakifix and ask them if there's any issues with the folds. I don't have confidence that the folds will good 2 or more years without screen issues. I think the folds are a year phone and trade it off. I will let you know how it goes.

Edit.. Here's another post the screens have been discussed and you will see others having issues with warranty on screens.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app
    tismydroid, SultanJazz and J Dubbs like this.
    05-19-2022 06:19 AM
    Well the price is $1399 now and Im sure the new one will be around $1500 at least.

Thanks for the heads-up but there can't be that many ppl with the screen issues.
    05-19-2022 09:52 AM
    Well the price is $1399 now and Im sure the new one will be around $1500 at least.

Thanks for the heads-up but there can't be that many ppl with the screen issues.
    Didn't think so either till I talked to repair shops. These shops have nothing to gain. I think they see more on repairs then we do. I am a big love for the folds, but I'm a little on the nervous side now. And I can tell you have fun with Samsung if you get it and do have screen crack on the fold.
    J Dubbs likes this.
    05-19-2022 01:15 PM
    Nah. At this point I'd wait for the Z Fold 4.
    SultanJazz likes this.
    05-20-2022 08:51 AM

Seems like you are looking for confirmation of a decision you've already made rather than advice to help you make a decision...
    05-20-2022 09:15 AM
    Seems like you are looking for confirmation of a decision you've already made rather than advice to help you make a decision...
    Sounds like he is looking for honest opinions/advice and he's gotten some good ones. I too would wait for the Fold4. They will have trade-in promotions that will probably make it worth the wait and possibly end up costing less than getting the 3rd now.
    05-20-2022 10:22 AM
    Sounds like he is looking for honest opinions/advice and he's gotten some good ones. I too would wait for the Fold4. They will have trade-in promotions that will probably make it worth the wait and possibly end up costing less than getting the 3rd now.
    They have indeed had some good advice, which the post I quoted was quite dismissive of.
    05-20-2022 10:40 AM
    They have indeed had some good advice, which the post I quoted was quite dismissive of.
    Didn't think I was dismissive, but just questioning the amount of defective screens.

If ubreakifixit says they've seen 50 screens and that's out of thousands upon thousands, seems like a small amount to me.

Plus I was asking about other issues that I had but do appreciate the information about the other problems too.
    1raygin and tismydroid like this.
    05-20-2022 01:53 PM

I don't think there are as many issues with the screen as there is just the protector coming up in the middle where the crease is. People are concerned that it's a defective screen and some may very well be. The majority of those issues are just the protector. I went the route of ubreakifix the first time my protector messed up. The second time I just replaced it with a wsd protector. Been solid ever since.
    jordans0nly and 1raygin like this.
    05-20-2022 02:17 PM
    I don't think there are as many issues with the screen as there is just the protector coming up in the middle where the crease is. People are concerned that it's a defective screen and some may very well be. The majority of those issues are just the protector. I went the route of ubreakifix the first time my protector messed up. The second time I just replaced it with a wsd protector. Been solid ever since.
    The inner screen protector has been problematic for some. However, aren't some people with screen protector problems being told that the screen itself is bad (and not covered under warranty), when in fact they had no idea that the screen was bad?
    05-20-2022 03:15 PM
    How different does the screen look without a screen protector?
    05-20-2022 03:24 PM
    The inner screen protector has been problematic for some. However, aren't some people with screen protector problems being told that the screen itself is bad (and not covered under warranty), when in fact they had no idea that the screen was bad?
    They replace the screen to replace the screen protector regardless if it's bad. I think they just call it bad when it really isn't.
    Toes Up likes this.
    05-20-2022 05:05 PM
    I almost pulled the trigger on another Fold³ yesterday (I had 2 at release, black and green). Loved the form factor but wasn't in love with the feeling that I had to baby them. So, saw a Phantom Silver 256GB on Amazon for $1,399 and was like "At this point why not"...but alas, I decided to just wait.

The Fold⁴ might be dust and water resistant and have the S22's cameras and other goodies so gonna. ...even though a Fold³ today could be traded in towards Fold⁴ tomorrow.... hmmm....
    jordans0nly likes this.
    05-20-2022 06:21 PM
    I almost pulled the trigger on another Fold³ yesterday (I had 2 at release, black and green). Loved the form factor but wasn't in love with the feeling that I had to baby them. So, saw a Phantom Silver 256GB on Amazon for $1,399 and was like "At this point why not"...but alas, I decided to just wait.

The Fold⁴ might be dust and water resistant and have the S22's cameras and other goodies so gonna. ...even though a Fold³ today could be traded in towards Fold⁴ tomorrow.... hmmm....
    Thinking the same. But lately I've been seeing ppl on YouTube vids say they're not really babying the phones. Seems to be pretty tough, more so than I thought.
    05-20-2022 06:55 PM

Thinking the same. But lately I've been seeing ppl on YouTube vids say they're not really babying the phones. Seems to be pretty tough, more so than I thought.
    05-20-2022 06:55 PM
    The phone itself is strong, it's the bend in screen. I'll be finding out soon what my verdict is

I can say for fact the battery is probably the worse battery life I've had in a phone.

Hopefully I get good news on my fold, but fold 2 had to go in for hinge fix and fold 3 is in for possible cracked screen after 8 months normal usage.
    Laura Knotek and J Dubbs like this.
    05-20-2022 06:58 PM
    The phone itself is strong, it's the bend in screen. I'll be finding out soon what my verdict is

I can say for fact the battery is probably the worse battery life I've had in a phone.

Hopefully I get good news on my fold, but fold 2 had to go in for hinge fix and fold 3 is in for possible cracked screen after 8 months normal usage.
    This is the kind of thing that concerns me and why I let my Fold³'s go in the past. With my S22U's I don't have durability concerns but, yes, I'm missing out on the bleeding edge. We'll see what happens.
    05-20-2022 09:03 PM
    Just found out from t mobile that they have a promo for adding a line and getting $800 off a Z Fold 3. Comes out to $27.77

Seems like a good deal.
    06-10-2022 11:56 AM
    Just found out from t mobile that they have a promo for adding a line and getting $800 off a Z Fold 3. Comes out to $27.77

Seems like a good deal.
    Read above posts. If you are prepared for those issues by all means go ahead.
    06-10-2022 11:58 AM

Seems like a good deal.
    I wanted the Z fold 3 after seeing a coworker with it. After doing some research I decided no. Too risky. Getting a phone that has the possibility of screen damage on its own is like going backwards. This phone won’t last like regular phones.
    06-21-2022 10:28 AM
    I wanted the Z fold 3 after seeing a coworker with it. After doing some research I decided no. Too risky. Getting a phone that has the possibility of screen damage on its own is like going backwards. This phone won’t last like regular phones.
    You get possibilty screen damage any phone , you have some other Samsung phones the screen went black , turn green etc.. dont let that scare you .
    kevinpleasants likes this.
    06-21-2022 10:31 AM
    You get possibilty screen damage any phone , you have some other Samsung phones the screen went black , turn green etc.. dont let that scare you .
    I have not seen a regular phone where the screen just breaks on its own from normal use. You may get a malfunction but that’s different. Im taking about the Z folds screen getting damaged from opening and closing, there is a much higher risk of that.
    06-21-2022 10:35 AM
    I have not seen a regular phone where the screen just breaks on its own from normal use. You may get a malfunction but that’s different. Im taking about the Z folds screen getting damaged from opening and closing, there is a much higher risk of that.
    I have a Fold 3 it's still in mint condition had it since launch
    1raygin, kevinpleasants and jayk82 like this.
    06-21-2022 10:35 AM
27 12