Fold 3 durability & S Pen

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I'm just looking for some feedback on the Fold³'s durability. I've had 2 Fold³'s green & black rhat I got near launch for about month but ended up selling them towards other toys. Now I'm thinking of picking one up in Phantom Silver (been wanting one in that colour) as the prices are pretty decent now and I can always trade it in towards a Fold⁴.

2 questions:

● How has the durability of the device and screen protectors been for those that have had it for more than 5 months?

● For those that have gotten the S Pen for it has the S Pen caused any discernable damage to the screen protector/screen?

If I get one, yes I'll pretty-much baby it (case & TLC) but I need to be confident that it will stay in unblemished condition as long as I long as I don't damage it with drops, sand, water, etc. until the Fold⁴ comes out.

What's been your experience?

EDIT: In the month that I did have both devices, simultaneously, I had absolutely no problems. I recall battery life not being as good as desired but no problems with the devices themselves.

Last edited:

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Here is the [TL;DR]: Don't keep the factory protectors on the device. They are cheap and will come off. Replace them with whatever you want, but I would suggest the Whitestone Dome Film for the Inner and whatever you want for the outside. SPen, I have had my SPen since I got my fold, use it occasionally, but when I do, I take a lot of notes. No, no issues from the screen at all.

In all honesty, the SPen isn't worth talking about because it just works and does not cause any issues.

The Screen Protectors on the other hand, those that come with the phone work, until you can get something better, but keeping them is a mistake as they will start to peel and come off anyway.

Front Display:

I went with the Whitestone Dome for the front because it's just nice. It wasn't any harder to install than any other phone I have installed them on, so I would not worry too much here.

Inner Dsiplay:

This is where you will want to invest the time an energy into the Whitestone Dome Film (under $20 on Amazon).

It can take a bit to install it, but it is well worth it. It feels the same as the PET factory installed, but the biggest differences come when:

1. You install it and realize that the adhesive a MUCH better than the factory, so should stay installed
2. It feels just as smooth with your finger or SPen when using it
3. It attracts a LOT LESS dust and fingerprints than the factory one

Hope this helps! :)

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Here is the [TL;DR]: Don't keep the factory protectors on the device. They are cheap and will come off. Replace them with whatever you want, but I would suggest the Whitestone Dome Film for the Inner and whatever you want for the outside. SPen, I have had my SPen since I got my fold, use it occasionally, but when I do, I take a lot of notes. No, no issues from the screen at all.

In all honesty, the SPen isn't worth talking about because it just works and does not cause any issues.

The Screen Protectors on the other hand, those that come with the phone work, until you can get something better, but keeping them is a mistake as they will start to peel and come off anyway.

Front Display:

I went with the Whitestone Dome for the front because it's just nice. It wasn't any harder to install than any other phone I have installed them on, so I would not worry too much here.

Inner Dsiplay:

This is where you will want to invest the time an energy into the Whitestone Dome Film (under $20 on Amazon).

It can take a bit to install it, but it is well worth it. It feels the same as the PET factory installed, but the biggest differences come when:

1. You install it and realize that the adhesive a MUCH better than the factory, so should stay installed
2. It feels just as smooth with your finger or SPen when using it
3. It attracts a LOT LESS dust and fingerprints than the factory one

Hope this helps! :)
This is precisely the kind of feedback I was looking for and I appreciate you taking the time to provide it. Thank you.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
First battery life. If you thought fold 2 battery life was bad, the fold 3 is worse. I have mine plugged in every chance I get.

Outer screen is same as fold 2 IMO. The outer screen on fold 3 now has the 120 refresh rate which is better.

Inner screen, I love the under screen camera, I've never had any issues with the display or using it. On screen protector being cheap, I don't know, I can't imagine any screen protector lasting long with it bending in the middle over and over. They are a film that lightly sticks to the screen, and it's obvious that they all will start failing after so many open and closing. I would just use what comes with it and replace it when it starts bubbling up. I would probably plan on replacing screen protectors here and there.

Spen..I use the spen every day and have had zero screen issues. I find the spen very useful on the fold phone. I don't care if I have the wave it like a magic wand feature. If you want this feature there is a spen pro version that does that, you would be able to wave the spen around and create magic on your phone.

Durability. The fold 3 feels very solid. I use it just like every other phone. It's not light, feels heavy duty.

Now the bad.. The screen in the middle of mine has a crack in it. It's not clear if it's the screen or inner screen protector. From what I've read, either of those mean new screen. My phone is at ubreakifix now, I'm waiting to hear the issue. This is a issue some say isn't wide spread, some say it is. Here's what I know. I've talked to 3 ubreakifix stores, ubreakifix corporate office, and a third cell phone repair store and every one of them said every fold they get in for repair, this is the issue. The most common spot for screen cracking is bottom screen in the middle where it bends. Every one of those places also said Samsung has been iffy at covering the screen under warranty. They say Samsung says physical damage and denies the claim. By the way, a screen replacement is around $540. All I can tell you is what I've been told by repair centers. I'm going thru the process now and I'm hoping it's covered under warranty and can be a success story. I know I've been given the run around on this dealing direct with Samsung, this is why I'm dealing with ubreakifix now. There's another post discussing some of this stuff and there's other stories of Samsung giving a hard time covering screens under warranty. If this is a small problem, there is a common theme.. Samsung fights the warranty for screen cracks, right in the crease where it folds from normal usage.

I have not given completely up on folding phones. Even though my fold 2 had to be fixed for hinge failure and fold 3 is having screen issues. A lot of my decision on how I proceed with the folds will probably be determined on how Samsung handles this issue. For me, 8 months with screen crack is not good for the phone doing what it's intended to do and Samsung should stand behind it. Maybe this issue isn't wide spread, but it's a big enough issue and it's the main issue with the folds. I have high hopes for the fold, I love it, but I can't be spending $500+ for screen replacements all the time.

Just throwing this out there. I baby my phones. Every phone I've traded in looks new, my fold 3 looks new also, so they can't claim physical damage on my phone.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
First battery life. If you thought fold 2 battery life was bad, the fold 3 is worse. I have mine plugged in every chance I get.

Outer screen is same as fold 2 IMO. The outer screen on fold 3 now has the 120 refresh rate which is better.

Inner screen, I love the under screen camera, I've never had any issues with the display or using it. On screen protector being cheap, I don't know, I can't imagine any screen protector lasting long with it bending in the middle over and over. They are a film that lightly sticks to the screen, and it's obvious that they all will start failing after so many open and closing. I would just use what comes with it and replace it when it starts bubbling up. I would probably plan on replacing screen protectors here and there.

Spen..I use the spen every day and have had zero screen issues. I find the spen very useful on the fold phone. I don't care if I have the wave it like a magic wand feature. If you want this feature there is a spen pro version that does that, you would be able to wave the spen around and create magic on your phone.

Durability. The fold 3 feels very solid. I use it just like every other phone. It's not light, feels heavy duty.

Now the bad.. The screen in the middle of mine has a crack in it. It's not clear if it's the screen or inner screen protector. From what I've read, either of those mean new screen. My phone is at ubreakifix now, I'm waiting to hear the issue. This is a issue some say isn't wide spread, some say it is. Here's what I know. I've talked to 3 ubreakifix stores, ubreakifix corporate office, and a third cell phone repair store and every one of them said every fold they get in for repair, this is the issue. The most common spot for screen cracking is bottom screen in the middle where it bends. Every one of those places also said Samsung has been iffy at covering the screen under warranty. They say Samsung says physical damage and denies the claim. By the way, a screen replacement is around $540. All I can tell you is what I've been told by repair centers. I'm going thru the process now and I'm hoping it's covered under warranty and can be a success story. I know I've been given the run around on this dealing direct with Samsung, this is why I'm dealing with ubreakifix now. There's another post discussing some of this stuff and there's other stories of Samsung giving a hard time covering screens under warranty. If this is a small problem, there is a common theme.. Samsung fights the warranty for screen cracks, right in the crease where it folds from normal usage.

I have not given completely up on folding phones. Even though my fold 2 had to be fixed for hinge failure and fold 3 is having screen issues. A lot of my decision on how I proceed with the folds will probably be determined on how Samsung handles this issue. For me, 8 months with screen crack is not good for the phone doing what it's intended to do and Samsung should stand behind it. Maybe this issue isn't wide spread, but it's a big enough issue and it's the main issue with the folds. I have high hopes for the fold, I love it, but I can't be spending $500+ for screen replacements all the time.

Just throwing this out there. I baby my phones. Every phone I've traded in looks new, my fold 3 looks new also, so they can't claim physical damage on my phone.
Thank you for taking the time to share this. Yeah, with both the post provided above and how anal I know I am about product durability I'm gonna have to take a hard pass on the Fold³. It's a nice phone but I need to be able to use it day in and day out and have it stay in like-new condition, just like any other device I would use.

Doesn't seem like it's there yet but the S22U certainly is, IME.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Thank you for taking the time to share this. Yeah, with both the post provided above and how anal I know I am about product durability I'm gonna have to take a hard pass on the Fold³. It's a nice phone but I need to be able to use it day in and day out and have it stay in like-new condition, just like any other device I would use.

Doesn't seem like it's there yet but the S22U certainly is, IME.
No problem

I am glad that I took advantage of Verizon's $1,000 trade in on the S22U. I traded in my S10 back up for the S22U. I couldn't pass up updating my back up to the S22U for $300. With the fold 3 down, I've been using the S22U.

I'm glad to have the S22U for my back up. It's a good phone, the battery seems awesome compared to the fold 3, and I have display set to the best, the display on the S22U is amazing. My only complaint on the S22U is it seems to run a little warmer then previous phones.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
No problem

I am glad that I took advantage of Verizon's $1,000 trade in on the S22U. I traded in my S10 back up for the S22U. I couldn't pass up updating my back up to the S22U for $300. With the fold 3 down, I've been using the S22U.

I'm glad to have the S22U for my back up. It's a good phone, the battery seems awesome compared to the fold 3, and I have display set to the best, the display on the S22U is amazing. My only complaint on the S22U is it seems to run a little warmer then previous phones.
If you think the S22U runs warm you should try a 1+ 9 Pro. Awesome phone too that charges stupid fast but it runs warm, doesn't offer 5G, isn't water/dust resistant, and it's cameras can't touch the S22U. The thing I remember about that phone is how, not warm, but actually how hot that it got.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I've had mine since launch, front and inner screen protector still like the day I bought it and factory screen protector. I'm surprised Samsung doesn't update it quickly like a flagship device or at least my s22U. Battery has been pretty solid, I use this for mainly media consumption, YouTube,watch movies some calls and texts . I don't use it everyday for phone calls but occasionally I do , I've used it for hotspot to my car radio run AA wireless, other apps on radio screen like my shop and home camera . I don't like the current offering for cases it probably be my biggest reason not using it everyday. My favorite device by far though.

Edit: I like the side mounted finger print scanner

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Service center called and they believe it's the screen protector. They said either way it should be covered under warranty. I use my fold as a main phone, everyday all day long, so it probably gets used more then mustangs.

I'm not going to lie, I'm getting used to the S22U, I'm not sure I'm going back to the fold when it gets here. They said it will be fixed today, but UPS won't pick it up till Monday and I should have it Tuesday.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Service center called and they believe it's the screen protector. They said either way it should be covered under warranty. I use my fold as a main phone, everyday all day long, so it probably gets used more then mustangs.

I'm not going to lie, I'm getting used to the S22U, I'm not sure I'm going back to the fold when it gets here. They said it will be fixed today, but UPS won't pick it up till Monday and I should have it Tuesday.
Yeah you definitely use it more then me
But i put my fair share of use on it

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I loved the Fold³s when I had them but I felt like I couldn't just use them like I was used to. Knowing Samsung, I will have to have the Fold⁴, at least to try.