Interesting device, glad I got to try it.

TheAngryToaster

Sep 14, 2020
Visit site
The 4 is an incredible device without a doubt. While I did enjoy the fold 4. I enjoyed the thought of using it more than actually using it to be honest.

On paper and in reviews it's really seems like a no brainer to pick this phone up and use it. Has a ton of great features 2 beautiful screens and all that jazz that goes with it.

However the actual practice of using the phone was a different story for me. The biggest issue I had with this device was typing on either screen. On the front screen the keyboard was small and very compact making it difficult to accurately type. One the big screen the split keyboard is the exact opposite of the front screen. To spread out and difficult to reach all the keys comfortably. I started to dread texting and typing on the phone.

The next biggest thing that felt like more of an inconvenience was taking the extra step to have to open the phone to do more than basic stuff on the front screen. It got to the point where I would only open the device for YouTube or other full screen media. Everything else I did on the front screen if I could manage.

The transition from small to big or big to small would get frustrating. There are a bunch of apps that require you to restart the app so it will fit to the screen. This just kind of makes its exhausting to have to reopen apps when switch between the screens.

Part of me feels like there is a long way to go when it comes to software. Many apps would have the edges looking like colored snow. Probably due to not being optimized for the bigger screen. While labs is useful for forcing full screen and orientation. At the end of the day the best apps where the ones that have built in support. With such a small market share I don't see that changing for a whole lot on these types of devices for a while. Maybe if Google puts out foldable device they can change guidelines for app devs to include support for these devices.

I was actually on the fence with returning this device for a few days. I put my sim back in my s22u and kept wondering should I give it another go and try the fold one last time. I did exactly that and it was clear that it's just not the phone for me. At the end of the day, I just want to pick up my phone and just use it with out worrying about should I open it for this or not.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Just like any phone, it's not for everyone. There's a reason they make slab phones yet.

As far as the apps, that's on the app developer not updating their app for folding phones. I think Samsung does a pretty good job trying to make it work on the fold. It's not perfect, it would be if the developers would update their apps, unfortunately there are developers that don't keep their apps updated or they think the fold isn't going anywhere so won't do it.

I was opposite,I went to the S22U and kept going back to the fold before the end of the day. It's rather easy to decide on whether to open the fold or not, the front screen is basically for doing quick things, it's not meant for long time usage. Typing on the front screen is a learning curve, once past that is not bad.

Like I said, the fold isn't for everyone. Use the phone you like

Last edited:

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Just like any phone, it's not for everyone. There's a reason they make slab phones yet.

As far as the apps, that's on the app developer not updating their app for folding phones. I think Samsung does a pretty good job trying to make it work on the fold. It's not perfect, it would be if the developers would update their apps, unfortunately there are developers that don't keep their apps updated or they think the fold isn't going anywhere so won't do it.

I was opposite,I went to the S22U and kept going back to the fold before the end of the day. It's rather easy to decide on whether to open the fold or not, the front screen is basically for doing quick things, it's not meant for long time usage. Typing on the front screen is a learning curve, once past that is not bad.

Like I said, the fold isn't for everyone. Use the phone you like

When larger corporations like Meta can't be bothered to release a proper Facebook of Instagram app for Android tablets I honestly have little hope for apps being made specifically for Samsungs folding phones. It's going to be interesting watching how things play out in the future, maybe foldable phones will catch on and become affordable for normal people allowing them to be mainstream, maybe they'll die off.

srgonu

Dec 30, 2016
Visit site
I use the front screen to quickly check on things or to reply messages. Works very well one handed and with Gboard I don't have issues typing. When relaxed or needed multi tasking I unfold it and it's just amazing. I reduced using multiple devices (phone, tablet and computer) after getting ZF3. I can do most of the things on this and it is quick. I feel like I claimed back lot of my time after going to foldable and get to spend more time with family. This is a game changer for me if used the right way. I really want folks to understand and appreciate the innovation and use it to improve their life. In goodlock there's an option to make any app compatible to foldable and they don't have to restart when you unfold and fold. Sometimes we need to explore or ask before concluding. Samsung did a great job and I hope this innovation keeps moving forward.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
There's a device for everyone , I ordered the Fold ⁴ to replace my Fold³ I didn't do because it be huge upgrade but the price was right for me 650.00

shook187

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I took my main SIM card out my Fold and went back to a slab device. As the main device that I carry and take with me it's a bit cumbersome but as a at home device it is fantastic!!! Typing on the front screen is a bit frustrating. When it's open I use the split keyboard and feels.natural and I have no issues with typing.

jeetu4444

Trusted Member
Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
Iam a 1st time fold user...and love using the device...I use it more than my S22 ultra....it's gives u options

Small screen to big screen...
King of multitasking..
I use it for my work and love it

As I always say buy what suits u
I have both S22 ultra and fold 4

TheAngryToaster

Sep 14, 2020
Visit site
Iam a 1st time fold user...and love using the device...I use it more than my S22 ultra....it's gives u options

Small screen to big screen...
King of multitasking..
I use it for my work and love it

As I always say buy what suits u
I have both S22 ultra and fold 4
If I could have kept it, I would have and used it as my secondary device.

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
When larger corporations like Meta can't be bothered to release a proper Facebook of Instagram app for Android tablets I honestly have little hope for apps being made specifically for Samsungs folding phones. It's going to be interesting watching how things play out in the future, maybe foldable phones will catch on and become affordable for normal people allowing them to be mainstream, maybe they'll die off.

The only way foldables will catch on, unfortunately, is when Apple comes out with a folding phone. Until then, they'll still be niche devices.

jeetu4444

Trusted Member
Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
I think fold 4 is ready for masses....samsung sales have increased and more brands have entered the market....I know soo many ppl...who have joined the fold wagon

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I thought you were sitting this round out? Changed your mind?
Yeah they gave me 1200 for Fold ³ I know I'm not going get that next year , when I tried my personal account they only wanted give 900
I forgot about my business account and used that for 1200.00 so 650.00 cost me

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Yeah they gave me 1200 for Fold ³ I know I'm not going get that next year , when I tried my personal account they only wanted give 900
I forgot about my business account and used that for 1200.00 so 650.00 cost me
I hate being on this forum because I'm always being persuaded to buy gadgets lol. I love love love my flip 4, but I feel for certain occasions I would like to take the fold 4 around even though I don't need it the trade in options are really ttempting. Going to try and just wait for the pixel 7 pro and make that my last phone purchase of the year

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
They sneaky Samsung with business account they give you more for the trade in but storage was same price between 256gb and 512gb I hope those numbers are right lol whatever close enough on personal account but business account the price was for 256gb and spen case was free with personal , business I had to pay but no tax

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I hate being on this forum because I'm always being persuaded to buy gadgets lol. I love love love my flip 4, but I feel for certain occasions I would like to take the fold 4 around even though I don't need it the trade in options are really ttempting. Going to try and just wait for the pixel 7 pro and make that my last phone purchase of the year
Tell me about it
I don't even want to know pixel 7 coming lol I had enough with getting upgrades but something will bring me in like Google giving 500 for the 6 to get the 7 . I can't anymore

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Tell me about it
I don't even want to know pixel 7 coming lol I had enough with getting upgrades but something will bring me in like Google giving 500 for the 6 to get the 7 . I can't anymore
I hope T-mobile does another trade in deal and gives them away like they did the 6 pro. I bought an S9 and traded it in to get the pro free. Hell of an offer.

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site

The Instagram isn't, but the Facebook app is optimized for the Fold, as is Tik Tok. I think with Android 12L and Google's impending release of their foldable - things will pick up. But like someone said, the world waits for Apple for everyone to follow unfortunately, despite there being many foldables out now.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
The Instagram isn't, but the Facebook app is optimized for the Fold, as is Tik Tok. I think with Android 12L and Google's impending release of their foldable - things will pick up. But like someone said, the world waits for Apple for everyone to follow unfortunately, despite there being many foldables out now.
Apple started with small phones then followed Samsung with bigger screen [Note line] Samsung started with foldable and they going follow that also .

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Apple started with small phones then followed Samsung with bigger screen [Note line] Samsung started with foldable and they going follow that also .
Yes apple is following the fold. I think it's going to be more like the flip personally. Like others have said, the fold phone will get more popular when apple comes out with one. Samsung had smart watches first also and people were slow at getting them, then almighty apple released theirs and all of a sudden everyone was getting them, it was like there was never such a thing until then.

I'll give Samsung one thing, at least they innovate, something apple hasn't done for a long time. It used to be the other way around.

By the way, welcome to the fold 4 club. I'll be curious to see how you like it. I think the small improvements are great in real usage, small on paper.

Last edited: