When people say the folds are to expensive

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
This is what I think about when I hear people say the fold phones are to expensive.

VCR's were new and expensive back then, that was a lot of money back then for such things.

That was new technology back then and it was expensive back then at first also. My father was very tight with his money and didn't buy extras but he even spent $600 on one. The fold falls into the new technology category IMO.

New technology always costs more at first and as it gains ground and more competition comes out prices will come down. Also back then we didn't have the need to upgrade every year for small advances, we kept that VCR for years.
214d674bdce4244cef2253f25d9ef54f.jpg

Sent from my SM-X800 using Tapatalk

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
They kind of are even with the discounts. We are trading in property we own. Granted we usually get more then market value, but there is monetary value of our trade INS.

Sent from my SM-X800 using Tapatalk
Yeah property i owned for half the cost and getting return for top dollars on it .

Example
Fold 3 got for 800.00 then traded that in got the fold 4 for 650.00 1000 for fold 3 and business discount almost another 200.00 so that cycle keeps on going

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Yeah property i owned for half the cost and getting return for top dollars on it .

Example
Fold 3 got for 800.00 then traded that in got the fold 4 for 650.00 1000 for fold 3 and business discount almost another 200.00 so that cycle keeps on going
Yup, I said we usually get more then market value. You probably could have sold the fold 3 for $500 cash, which is the value of your property, a cost to you for trading in.

The trade ins definitely make it cheaper out of pocket cash to upgrade. I think most of us including me forget that the out of pocket cash isn't the total cost of new phone. The trade ins are of value and a cost to us.

I do take advantage of the high trade ins myself. The high trade ins go away my yearly upgrades probably will end also.

Anyway, my main point of the post was that the folding phones aren't the only thing people pay premium price for as new technology. VCR's at one time was in same category. It's how new technology works.

Sent from my SM-F936U1 using Tapatalk

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yup, I said we usually get more then market value. You probably could have sold the fold 3 for $500 cash, which is the value of your property, a cost to you for trading in.

The trade ins definitely make it cheaper out of pocket cash to upgrade. I think most of us including me forget that the out of pocket cash isn't the total cost of new phone. The trade ins are of value and a cost to us.

I do take advantage of the high trade ins myself. The high trade ins go away my yearly upgrades probably will end also.

Anyway, my main point of the post was that the folding phones aren't the only thing people pay premium price for as new technology. VCR's at one time was in same category. It's how new technology works.

I agree new technology is expensive but by now Samsung in its 4th generation should get a little cheaper

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I agree new technology is expensive but by now Samsung in its 4th generation should get a little cheaper
I'm hoping so, but I'm seeing rumored pixle fold coming out at price point of $1,800. I was hoping that pixle would have slashed the price more. Maybe we need LG back.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I'm hoping so, but I'm seeing rumored pixle fold coming out at price point of $1,800. I was hoping that pixle would have slashed the price more. Maybe we need LG back.

Im interested how the pixel and when iPhone does the fold how they will turn out

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site

I think Google's going to have a hard time selling their fold at $1800... they'll probably have to give some pretty sweet trade in deals to get it into people's hands. Pixels are my preferred phone, but I don't think they're looked at as being in the same premium class as Samsung, and I don't think folks will be willing to pay Samsung prices for them. They already tried that years ago and it didn't work. Then came the mid-range pixel 5 and the "a" line.

I think they've found the sweet spot price wise with the 6 and 7 (and "a" line), but I don't see the pixel fold selling well at $1800 :eek:

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I think Google's going to have a hard time selling their fold at $1800... they'll probably have to give some pretty sweet trade in deals to get it into people's hands. Pixels are my preferred phone, but I don't think they're looked at as being in the same premium class as Samsung, and I don't think folks will be willing to pay Samsung prices for them. They already tried that years ago and it didn't work. Then came the mid-range pixel 5 and the "a" line.

I think they've found the sweet spot price wise with the 6 and 7 (and "a" line), but I don't see the pixel fold selling well at $1800 :eek:
I was surprised when I seen that rumored price. I agree,I thought it was high for a pixle device

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
if we are using vcrs as comparison I would say rather than they're invention as a whole, folding phones are more like going from a top loader to a front loader. I just showed my age lol

can't wait to see what an absolute shirt show the pixel fold will be...

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
if we are using vcrs as comparison I would say rather than they're invention as a whole, folding phones are more like going from a top loader to a front loader. I just showed my age lol

can't wait to see what an absolute shirt show the pixel fold will be...

I'm just using new technology. I consider folding new technology, yes it's branched off of phones, but VCR's can be said to be branched off reel to reel.

I know what you're talking about on top versus front. Top were more expensive then the front. I'm showing my age also.

aokusman1

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I paid $1400 for the fold 4 512gb, watch 5 pro and buds 2 pro. My iPhone 13 pro max 256, apple watch 7 and airpods 3rd generation cost me almost $2000.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, but with the Fold devices upgrading is important because if the inner screen goes bad it's expensive out of warranty. I didn't upgrade initially because there wasn't much difference between the 3 and 4. A few weeks ago I noticed the screen or the protector lifting at the bottom of the fold. Tried to push it down gently and I noticed a few dark pixels formed. Went to the Asurion store and they could fix it but tells me I was out of warranty and it didn't show that I had Samsung Care. It would cost 700 to fix out of warranty. I checked online and sure enough I did not have the extended warranty. I checked my emails and discovered that I missed an email indicating that my payment method for the warranty didn't go through and it was too late to renew. I saw a deal to trade in for 1000 and it didn't say anything about dead pixels so I ordered. While waiting for the device the whole middle of the screen went bad and the inside screen was unresponsive. So I contacted Samsung and asked if that would be considered a cracked screen even there were no cracks. Samsung said yes and I would qualify for a reduced amount. I asked if it would be 625 like indicated on the website for models with cracked screens. They stated it would depend on what the trade in value was at the time and if I wasn't happy I could get my trade back and cancel. I waited 8 days to hear about my trade and was informed that I got full value of 1000. I don't know if they only looked at the inside screen with it off but had it been on it would have been obvious so I'm puzzled why I didn't get gigged for the bad screen though technically there is no mention of dead pixels and they device did turn on. I did email the rep several times because the trade inspection was taking too long and maybe they did a manual credit.

Anyway, lesson learned is make sure if you keep it more than a year to renew the warranty because these screens are delicate. I babied mine and didn't use it every day. Otherwise upgrade often. My only remorse is I didn't wait for Black Friday because the prices were even better. I paid a little over 600 with my trade but Black Friday deal would have been a little over 400. I did call for an adjustment but the rep said the only thing I could is return and reorder and they would give me a code for the trade value. I decided to be thankful they gave me full value for my trade and didn't want any further hassles.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, but with the Fold devices upgrading is important because if the inner screen goes bad it's expensive out of warranty. I didn't upgrade initially because there wasn't much difference between the 3 and 4. A few weeks ago I noticed the screen or the protector lifting at the bottom of the fold. Tried to push it down gently and I noticed a few dark pixels formed. Went to the Asurion store and they could fix it but tells me I was out of warranty and it didn't show that I had Samsung Care. It would cost 700 to fix out of warranty. I checked online and sure enough I did not have the extended warranty. I checked my emails and discovered that I missed an email indicating that my payment method for the warranty didn't go through and it was too late to renew. I saw a deal to trade in for 1000 and it didn't say anything about dead pixels so I ordered. While waiting for the device the whole middle of the screen went bad and the inside screen was unresponsive. So I contacted Samsung and asked if that would be considered a cracked screen even there were no cracks. Samsung said yes and I would qualify for a reduced amount. I asked if it would be 625 like indicated on the website for models with cracked screens. They stated it would depend on what the trade in value was at the time and if I wasn't happy I could get my trade back and cancel. I waited 8 days to hear about my trade and was informed that I got full value of 1000. I don't know if they only looked at the inside screen with it off but had it been on it would have been obvious so I'm puzzled why I didn't get gigged for the bad screen though technically there is no mention of dead pixels and they device did turn on. I did email the rep several times because the trade inspection was taking too long and maybe they did a manual credit.

Anyway, lesson learned is make sure if you keep it more than a year to renew the warranty because these screens are delicate. I babied mine and didn't use it every day. Otherwise upgrade often. My only remorse is I didn't wait for Black Friday because the prices were even better. I paid a little over 600 with my trade but Black Friday deal would have been a little over 400. I did call for an adjustment but the rep said the only thing I could is return and reorder and they would give me a code for the trade value. I decided to be thankful they gave me full value for my trade and didn't want any further hassles.
I definitely recommend having the insurance on the fold phones since the inside screen is so expensive. So far I have only kept the fold phones for a year, but I usually upgrade yearly on all phones anyway. My brother is in year and half for his fold 3 with no issues so far, I'm watching how his fold performs this year to decide if I'll keep this fold 4 another year as I think phones are getting expensive and yearly upgrades are one area I'm considering cutting back on. A fold 5 with no inside screen camera would get my attention though.

I'm glad you got the $1,000 credit for your fold 3. My guess since you kept on them someone just manually gave you the credit.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
My thoughts in general is that phones are getting too expensive. Most people upgrade every 2 years, and phones are easily getting toward $1,000. The E waste can be concerning, on top of the idea that you can look at the equivalent of people essentially buying a mid range gaming pc every two years.

In regard to the lead post about the VCR being expensive at first an then coming down in price, I have a couple counter points: 1. the VCR was usually good for several years, not showing wear and tear after 2. I don't think the average price of phones has come down at all over the past few years. If anything they have creeped up. Now, I do get the idea of inflation, but there was inflation for the time frame of the VCR as well.