Galaxy Gear 2: How many more people would buy if it was compatible with any Android phone?

naqzar

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
I know the gear 2/fit is getting a lot of flack for being samsung only. Now that the android wear has been announced (moto 360 and lg watches) who would choose gear 2 over those if it was usable with any android device?

I went to Best Buy today to check out the display and really enjoyed it. I haven't worn a watch in about 10 years but have been wanting a smart watch since Pebble came out but just couldn't pull the trigger. I think they did a nice job with the gear 2 and will be buying one.

But anyways, back to the main question and reason for this post. I was talking to a samsung representative while I was browsing today. Not sure how much inside knowledge he has but this wasn't just the best buy samsung rep, this guy had nothing to do with best buy and is a travelling rep for samsung. He was answering questions for me and one of the questions I asked was about the gear 2 and fit being only compatible with samsung devices. He didn't give me a time frame but he said they were well aware of the complaints about it being samsung only and that they were currently working on the cross compatibility. Now whether or not he is privy to that type of information I do not know but I didn't get the feeling that he was just telling me that to make me happy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: How many more people would buy if it was compatible with any android phones?

That would have kept me from writing it off, but probably not been enough to convince me to buy it.

naqzar

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
Re: How many more people would buy if it was compatible with any android phones?

That would have kept me from writing it off, but probably not been enough to convince me to buy it.

Yea I think if they are planning on making it cross-compatible it is kind of sad on samsung's part that they are once again releasing something that is in my mind unfinished. First impressions are everything and being samsung only caused exactly that. Most people wrote it off.

swisstrader

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site

The only thing I understood about the original post was the thread title. My head is spinning

Illustrator Joe

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site

I would be 90% likely to do the gear fit if I didn't have to have a Samsung device.

ಠ益ಠ

naqzar

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site

The only thing I understood about the original post was the thread title. My head is spinning

Sorry, I failed at writing last night.

Quick summary, I went to Best Buy last night and ran into a samsung rep who was open to questions. I asked about cross compatibility and he said that it was something they are currently working on. So my question was if this claim is true how many people would buy the gear instead of any of the android wear products.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

I am inclined to agree that having a wearable device function with non Samsung devices would do better at winning me over. I could very well understand having a Samsung wearable device shine with another Samsung phone, but I question omitting every other OEM.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

naqzar

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site

I am inclined to agree that having a wearable device function with non Samsung devices would do better at winning me over. I could very well understand having a Samsung wearable device shine with another Samsung phone, but I question omitting every other OEM.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

Yea that is what I told the rep when I was talking to him. He seemed to be on the same page as the community in why that move was a bad one and that was when he said they were working on it currently.

JimSmith94

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site

At the moment I am upset with Samsung's policies on everything they make. Now that my Note 3 has updated to 4.4.2 KitKat, I can't even write to my external SDcard without rooting, which will trip Knox. I am seriously looking at other makers' phones and will do the same for a smart watch that works with all Android devices.

bacalao

Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
Re: Galaxy Gear: How many more people would buy if it was compatible with any Android phone?

I would have bought the Gear 2 but I don't own a Samsung phone. Ordered a pebble steel. By the time it ships, I probably will have ordered the moto360. Haha.

Posted via Android Central App

MBSMD

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
Re: Galaxy Gear: How many more people would buy if it was compatible with any Android phone?

I would have bought the Gear 2 but I don't own a Samsung phone. Ordered a pebble steel. By the time it ships, I probably will have ordered the moto360. Haha.

Love my Pebble Steel. But I did wait a LONG time for it... hopefully they've gotten whatever production kinks they had worked out.

JacksonEdwardHarrison

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site

At the moment I am upset with Samsung's policies on everything they make. Now that my Note 3 has updated to 4.4.2 KitKat, I can't even write to my external SDcard without rooting, which will trip Knox. I am seriously looking at other makers' phones and will do the same for a smart watch that works with all Android devices.

The decision to not allow writing to the external drive was Google's, not Samsung's. Samsung argued against that change strongly. Samsung is about the only company let that allows expandable storage. Google doesn't like that Samsung continues to offer that functionality, because they say it doesn't offer dependable performance, as cards can be made to a whole host of different specifications. At least on this issue, Samsung is on your side. Samsung Galaxy S4, Note 3 Android 4.4 Problem hits Micro SD Card

tcjohnsson

May 20, 2013
Visit site

I think the thread should be "how many more people would buy if it was compatible with any Samsung phone?". It still isn't compatible with S-Health / Fitness with Gear - Samsung's native fitness app.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

I think the thread should be "how many more people would buy if it was compatible with any Samsung phone?". It still isn't compatible with S-Health / Fitness with Gear - Samsung's native fitness app.

Same issues either way for many people. I'm not buying any peripheral that won't work with any brand (within reason). Ex, any android compatible devices should work with all Android, if not windows, chrome and iOS. The idea is to increase choice by meeting interoperability standards like MicroUSB was, etc.

XTNiT-1060 through spacetime.