Weather not updating/Calendar reminders

jordo487

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Anyone else using the homescreen with the weather widget and having problems with it updating? It seems to be updating like every couple days on average.

I did just notice one thing, it seems that I have to have the GPS on (on my phone) or else the weather refuses to update on my gear.

Also I have had a few meetings today and haven't seen the reminders come to my gear. Shouldn't they be and anyone else?

mklabove

May 6, 2010
Visit site
FWIW, I'm using the weather clock face, and I'm seeing erratic updating, and I have it set to update every hour. (GPS is on.) This morning, it hadn't updated since last night at 7 pm. Touching the little 'refresh' symbol on the weather screen would start the watch "Loading", but nothing would change. I tried disconnecting, rebooting the watch, opening the Accuweather app on the phone, nothing. The only thing that did work was going into the Weather settings in Gear Manager, and unchecking the 'Use current location' box, and re-enabling it.

Keith

audri5

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
I don't know if this will help but when I had the same problem on the gear 1 I rebooted both of them at the same time. (Phone and watch) After that is would work fine unless bluetooth disconnected and then I had to start them together again. Hope tnis helps.

jordo487

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
I don't know if this will help but when I had the same problem on the gear 1 I rebooted both of them at the same time. (Phone and watch) After that is would work fine unless bluetooth disconnected and then I had to start them together again. Hope tnis helps.

I will have to try this, though I do not want to reboot all the time.

mklabove

May 6, 2010
Visit site
FWIW, ever since I unchecked and re-enabled the location box in the Weather setings (in Gear Manager), my watch has been updating every hour. YMMV.

Cherenkov

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Having the same issue here. I even factory data reset both the phone and the watch to try and fix it, no luck. Upset that my pebble watch could display the weather accurately (with a 15 minute refresh) and the Gear 2 cannot. I tried mklabove's fix, and found something interesting: If my phone (Galaxy S5) is on power-saving location mode, which uses wifi only, I cannot re-enable location. It scans for a while, then eventually fails and gives up. No error message, it just stops looking. Same with the Accuweather widget. If I turn on the advanced location services which includes GPS, I can see the phone turn on GPS, track down my location, then I can pick and use it. Not sure if this will enable to weather widget to update, but it appears at least for the GS5 that the widget can't use wifi to find your location. Nor, of course, can you just tell it what location to use.

Will update once I've been able to determine if this fixed the updating issue or not. Not entirely in love with the idea of keeping GPS on all day just to have accurate weather.

FWIW, I blame accuweather for all of this. And partially Samsung for forcing us to use it.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
the weather app (using Accuweather) is horrible. Updating frequency is all over the place. for me, it's useless.

Cherenkov

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
No luck. Watch didn't update. When woke the phone I could see it polling GPS to get a location fix, then it updated the weather. It wasn't auto-updating on the phone either. Samsung suggests clearing the weather cache (data reset, so that took care of that for me) and putting the weather app on the lock screen, which you can't even do on the GS5 without a third-party app. So I guess until someone makes an app in the app store with better weather built in (fingers crossed) or Samsung puts out a patch we're stuck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC