Questions about the Watchband

Kamen

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I currently am on a WP8 device, but my contract is up soon so I will be eligible to upgrade and I can't wait to come back to Android.

No knock to WP8, I love my phone for the most part, just tired of the lousy app development for it.

Anywho, with that being said I am also looking to get the Gear 2 Neo (no real need for the camera feature and I am okay with the face being plastic so long as it is not cheap). It says you can swap the watchbands and ultimately I would like to get the black or gray face and then just different color bands to mix things up. Do (or will) they make ones specifically for this device or can you buy any old watchband as long as it is the same width as the original? Also how long is the stock one? I have a fairly thick wrist and would hate for it to be too small upon initial purchase. Thanks in advance for the help.

audri5

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
I have the gear 2 not the neo but I think they are the same on this. Samsung is slow to come out with accessories although they show plenty of them when something is announced. They are supposed to have some decent looking bands which they have made easy to swap out but that will be so far down the road of availabilty you may as well just find a standard 22 mm band and swap for that. As far as band size that comes on the watch, I am a very large woman that always orders a mans bracelet and mine fit perfect out of the box which is on the second whole. (I think my wrist is 7 and 3/4) so I think it will fit a good size wrist.

lizardchest

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
The thickness looks like it might step up a bit from the watch body, as the rubber band is thin. Then again, it may optically thin(homogenize?) the overall look. Can't wait to see a pic!

JacksonEdwardHarrison

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
The thickness looks like it might step up a bit from the watch body, as the rubber band is thin. Then again, it may optically thin(homogenize?) the overall look. Can't wait to see a pic!

Went ahead and ordered it and paid the $4 extra for one day shipping with Prime, so I will have it tomorrow. I'll definitely post pics. If it isn't right, I'll return it. Thankfully Amazon is excellent about returns.

JacksonEdwardHarrison

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
I am thinking about buying this stainless band via Amazon Prime. It is brushed like the Gear 2. Does anyone see a reason why it wouldn't work or wouldn't look nice?

Amazon.com: 22mm Brushed Engineer Solid Link 316l Stainless Steel Watch Bracelet Band: Watches

Ok, so I have a mixed review of the watch band. I received it this morning. First of all, it is beautiful and I LOVE the way a metal watch band (more appropriately called a bracelet when it has links - yes, even for men) looks on the Gear 2. The stock black band is nice and contemporary, but the metal bracelet I ordered makes the device look super premium and substantially more expensive and flashy.

That said, it is not the right for color of stainless steel (SS) to match the watch. Even though the Gear 2 is brushed SS, and so is the bracelet, the Gear 2 has a darker finish than traditional stainless. I showed both to a colleague of mine - he used to manage a jewelry store and says the Gear 2 has a finish on it which makes it appear more like titanium than SS. What a I've learned is the two metals are difficult to distinguish from looks, but titanium is a slightly darker grey/silver than SS. The picture doesn't show the difference in color well, because it is subtle, but you can at least get an idea of what a metal bracelet looks like with the Gear 2.

PicsPlay_1398274972313.jpg

I have decided to return the band and order a titanium replacement which I will have tomorrow. I almost decided to keep it but I am just too much of a perfectionist to let it go. The SS band, even though it was a slightly brighter shade than the Gear 2, looked amazing and I think the average person I know may not even notice unless they looked quite closely. But according to my friend and what I have read online, titanium is lighter weight on the wrist than stainless while being three times stronger.

So...This is what I ordered...(Amazon.com: Momentum ZC-22TTR10-TITANIUM 22 Format 4 Titanium Bracelet Watch: Watches)

When ordering, be sure to get a 22" width with a straight "lugend" (where the bracelet attaches to the watch). Many bracelets have a curved lugend for round watch faces, but as the Gear 2 is not round, it requires a straight lugend.

Hope this info helps someone. I will post a photo of the replacement tomorrow.

Last edited:

JacksonEdwardHarrison

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Ok, so I have a mixed review of the watch band. I received it this morning. First of all, it is beautiful and I LOVE the way a metal watch band (more appropriately called a bracelet when it has links - yes, even for men) looks on the Gear 2. The stock black band is nice and contemporary, but the metal bracelet I ordered makes the device look super premium and substantially more expensive and flashy.

That said, it is not the right for color of stainless steel (SS) to match the watch. Even though the Gear 2 is brushed SS, and so is the bracelet, the Gear 2 has a darker finish than traditional stainless. I showed both to a colleague of mine - he used to manage a jewelry store and says the Gear 2 has a finish on it which makes it appear more like titanium than SS. What a I've learned is the two metals are difficult to distinguish from looks, but titanium is a slightly darker grey/silver than SS. The picture doesn't show the difference in color well, because it is subtle, but you can at least get an idea of what a metal bracelet looks like with the Gear 2.

View attachment 114377

I have decided to return the band and order a titanium replacement which I will have tomorrow. I almost decided to keep it but I am just too much of a perfectionist to let it go. The SS band, even though it was a slightly brighter shade than the Gear 2, looked amazing and I think the average person I know may not even notice unless they looked quite closely. But according to my friend and what I have read online, titanium is lighter weight on the wrist than stainless while being three times stronger.

So...This is what I ordered...(Amazon.com: Momentum ZC-22TTR10-TITANIUM 22 Format 4 Titanium Bracelet Watch: Watches)

When ordering, be sure to get a 22" width with a straight "lugend" (where the bracelet attaches to the watch). Many bracelets have a curved lugend for round watch faces, but as the Gear 2 is not round, it requires a straight lugend.

Well, good and bad news. Bad news, while the 100 stainless band I ordered was too light in color, the 100% titanium was too dark. (I've attached a photo). Out of the two, I actually preferred the first one I had. Good news is, the titanium bracelet looks awesome with a Citizen watch I have so I am keeping it for sure.

PicsPlay_1398396430637.jpg

I went to a jewelry store which only carried leather in stock, so I've ordered one more from Amazon. Fingers crossed this one is good. If not, I'm gonna go with leather and the one I just ordered today is going to my buddy who has my old Galaxy Gear. He could care less about a perfect match. Hopefully my last post on this topic will be tomorrow, lol.

Last edited:

jschu22

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Well, good and bad news. Bad news, while the 100 stainless band I ordered was too light in color, the 100% titanium was too dark. (I've attached a photo). Out of the two, I actually preferred the first one I had. Good news is, the titanium bracelet looks awesome with a Citizen watch I have so I am keeping it for sure.

View attachment 114653

I went to a jewelry store which only carried leather in stock, so I've ordered one more from Amazon. Fingers crossed this one is good. If not, I'm gonna go with leather and the one I just ordered today is going to my buddy who has my old Galaxy Gear. He could care less about a perfect match. Hopefully my last post on this topic will be tomorrow, lol.

Why would you give a band to someone with the old Gear?

Posted via Android Central App

JacksonEdwardHarrison

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Why would you give a band to someone with the old Gear?

Posted via Android Central App

You know, you're exactly right. That makes no sense at all does it? Lol, just thought since I had given him the watch, I could give him the band. But yep, I don't think that would do him much good. Hopefully it will work for me. :)

anon(52425)

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site

View attachment 114377

Oh my... No. Enjoy your new band but I am certainly staying stock.

JacksonEdwardHarrison

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Ok, so the final band came in and, in my opinion, it's a win. It's solid stainless and is a combo of brushed and polished links. The brushed links are a good match for the Gear 2 and the polished links adds shine. It's 22mm at the lugends and narrower at the clasp. Best part is it was about $20 less than the original one I sent back and $80 less than the titanium one I am keeping for my Citizen.

I know the SS isn't everyone's cup of tea and that's cool. To each his own. But hell, I'm an urban millennial with a slight hipster vibe, so it works for me. :p

PicsPlay_1398442283973.jpg

PicsPlay_1398442510990.jpg

PicsPlay_1398442711840.jpg

If you like it, I believe there is one left on Amazon.Hadley-Roma Men's MB4436RWSE-22 22-mm Stainless Steel WatchBracelet:Amazon:Watches. You will also need these Two Stainless Steel Watchband Spring Bar Pins For Attaching Watch Band To Watches 22 mm:Amazon:Watches and a tool to install and remove links, or you can have a jewelry store do it for $10-$20.

Update: sold out for delivery via Amazon Prime but available for purchase via the Amazon site with fulfillment from another company and slower delivery. May also be available elsewhere.

Last edited:

lizardchest

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Looks nice! Definitely better than the titanium. Almost enough to get me to upgrade from the Neo... Thanks for doing the product testing for everyone! lol