Don't believe the hype about good battery life.

Volkers84

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Maybe mapmyrun is just not well designed? And maybe you use a bluetooth headset that is not using optimized low energy bluetooth?

Posted via Android Central App

I think the problem with MapMyRun is that the screen stays on... Which of course will drain the battery. I press the home button twice to turn screen off and have it as a shortcut when I want to check my stats for the run. Significantly less battery use.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I think the problem with MapMyRun is that the screen stays on... Which of course will drain the battery. I press the home button twice to turn screen off and have it as a shortcut when I want to check my stats for the run. Significantly less battery use.

Did you know that in Settings, you can turn "Keep Screen On" OFF? (I'm talking about the phone's MapMyRun app)

Cherenkov

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
I don't use runkeeper or MayMyRun or those, I just use my watch for notifications mainly, some S-voice and things like that. I generally get 4-5 days on a single charge with it alerting about 100 emails a day, on brightness level 4. This is with gesture-wake on. I don't think I could ask for more than that, but of course, YMMV.

dorrien12

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
I don't use runkeeper or MayMyRun or those, I just use my watch for notifications mainly, some S-voice and things like that. I generally get 4-5 days on a single charge with it alerting about 100 emails a day, on brightness level 4. This is with gesture-wake on. I don't think I could ask for more than that, but of course, YMMV.

Do you turn it off at night or leave it on all the time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using AC Forums mobile app

RockoB8

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
You'd think with how new devices are being created often, the batteries would last a lot longer these days, but, it's going to continue. I would love to see batteries for all devices last for quite a while, but of course, apps take up so much power, it's crazy. I agree with your distaste for battery life, it's just something we kind of have to live with until they figure out how to make batteries that last for a long time.

jschu22

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Any chance you're also running a non-stock watch face? The couple I've tried are huge battery hogs.

I think this holds true for many 3rd party apps. They clearly don't have the expertise just yet to optimize battery life.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Any chance you're also running a non-stock watch face? The couple I've tried are huge battery hogs.

I think this holds true for many 3rd party apps. They clearly don't have the expertise just yet to optimize battery life.

No way. stock it is.

Hufza

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Mine lasts only about 2 days. I have gesture on, brightness to 3 and I use it in sleep mode at night. I use it for notifications, taking some pictures and for exercise. And the pedometer. Think the battery should last longer. It's not always so easy to charge when I'm doing things all day and want it to monitor my sleep at night...

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
What are you going to do with the information you get about sleep? First of all does the watch really know how many hours you are sleeping? And if you aren't getting as much sleep as you want what can you do about it?

LowIQ

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I am 91 hours since last charge on my Gear 2 Neo and have 24% battery left on it, from my previous Sony smartwatch this is leaps and bounds above!! :)

LowIQ

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Too bad there is no easy way to post a "Log File" from the Gear Neo devices so that we can do intelligent comparisons on how and why some setups use more battery?, even a simple screenshot of setup configuration file would be good for proper analysis on this topic..... Just my two cents....

Hufza

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
What are you going to do with the information you get about sleep? First of all does the watch really know how many hours you are sleeping? And if you aren't getting as much sleep as you want what can you do about it?

It's like everything else on this watch: I do not really need it, but it's fun! :) When I wake up in the morning, I have always a feeling about if I have slept well or not. It is fun to see if the watch agrees or not. :) But, as I said in another thread, it is not very good at monitoring the sleep... I also wish it would show me more details.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
It's like everything else on this watch: I do not really need it, but it's fun! :) When I wake up in the morning, I have always a feeling about if I have slept well or not. It is fun to see if the watch agrees or not. :) But, as I said in another thread, it is not very good at monitoring the sleep... I also wish it would show me more details.

I couldn't agree more. We don't really need the watch but it is just so darn cool. I strap it on as soon as I get up in the morning and I love getting messages on it

ATT.Fan1982

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I easily get 2-2.5 days of battery out of my gear 2. Probably could go longer but I never let the battery get lower than 35%.

Sent from my SM-N900A using Tapatalk

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I easily get 2-2.5 days of battery out of my gear 2. Probably could go longer but I never let the battery get lower than 35%.

Sent from my SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Mine has never dropped to less than 1%...I've no idea what happened the time it did that.

mpogr

May 15, 2014
Visit site
I also noticed high battery consumption when using MapMyRun. Apparently, after you begin workout, the log on the watch gets thrashed with pedometer-related messages coming from S Health service, at the rate of 2-3 per second. This, combined with the fact the watch screen stays lit (though dimmed) for the entire duration of the workout, is probably contributing to high battery consumption. I'm going to report this to MapMyFitness, hopefully they'll be able to provide a quick fix.

More information about causes of high battery consumption (especially on non-Samsung devices) can be found here.

mpogr

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Update on high battery drainage issue with MMR Gear 2 app. I logged a ticket with MMR, pointing out the issue and the fact Gear 2 gets thrashed with S Health error messages when you start workout with MMR app on the Gear. For response I got complete set of instructions on how to set up MMR on the phone and on the Gear. Well, as if I didn't know it... Apparently, MMR Customer Support has no clue. The funniest in all this is that they marked the ticket as "solved" and closed it!
I reopened the ticket and, trying to remain calm and polite, explained to them (once again) what was the problem. Let's see what they come up with this time around...

dreamur

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site

Hi. Which gear version are you on? I used to have the same battery life until I upgraded to 2.0.1404 a couple of weeks ago afterwhich I only get less than a day's worth of usage at the same number of apps and usage. I switched off bluetooth and used it as pure watch and it went back to 3 days.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

lizardchest

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Hi. Which gear version are you on? I used to have the same battery life until I upgraded to 2.0.1404 a couple of weeks ago afterwhich I only get less than a day's worth of usage at the same number of apps and usage. I switched off bluetooth and used it as pure watch and it went back to 3 days.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Some users have had issues with using non-stock watch faces...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12