Gear 2 vs Neo = Why did you decide on which one to buy.

kh4fun

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
I am still trying to decide which model to buy the Gear 2 vs the Gear 2 Neo. Parts of me wants to get the Gear 2 due to it looks nicer with the metal and the unknown of if there will be any apps written for the camera vs the less expensive Gear 2 Neo. $100 more for the Gear 2 seems like a lot for the couple of differences, however don't want to regret my decision.

When you were deciding which one to buy which did you chose and why? If you upgraded from the old Galaxy Gear were there any programs for it that used the camera other than for normal pictures?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Metal looks nicer to me. Camera comes in handy but not worth the price premium. So for me the main factor is that I like the metal and I don't really care about the money to get what I want. I always prefer to spend more money to get something that I know I will like better and that's the name of that tune

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Gear 2 rose gold for me for the looks and camera. The Neo to me is for younger than me people looks-wise.

Deb from my Note 3

jpriest007

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I am still trying to decide which model to buy the Gear 2 vs the Neo. Parts of me wants to get the Gear 2 due to it looks nicer with the metal and the unknown of if there will be any apps written for the camera vs the less expensive Neo. $100 for the Gear 2 seems like a lot for the couple of differences, however don't want to regret my decision.

When you were deciding which one to buy which did you chose and why? If you upgraded from the Galaxy Gear were there any programs for it that used the camera other than for normal pictures?

Thanks for your help.

I went with the Neo. Because they are the same excluding the camera. Both versions look nice. I just couldn't see spending a extra $100 just for a camera. If I want a picture I just use my phone. Remember the camera on the Gear 2 is about the same size as the front facing camera on most phones. Just think how many people do you see taking pic's with the front camera. As for looks, no one who has seen my Neo has said it looks cheap or anything like that. Most people thought it was cool and wanted to know where to get one. Even the people who didn't like it were mostly people who didn't like watches in general.

Posted from my Galaxy Note 2 via Android Central App

LowIQ

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I think we are not using the Model Names correctly;

Samsung Galaxy Gear Model# SM-V700; of which is the original with camera on strap and traditional size metal body.
Samsung Gear 2 Model# SM-R380; of which has camera on main body and traditional size metal body.
Samsung Gear Fit Model# SM-R350; of which has no camera and narrow plastic body.
Samsung Gear 2 Neo Model# SM-R381; of which has no camera and traditional size plastic body.

The Next Big Thing Is Here | Samsung Galaxy S 5

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I think we are not using the Model Names correctly;

Samsung Galaxy Gear Model# SM-V700; of which is the original with camera on strap and traditional size metal body.
Samsung Gear 2 Model# SM-R380; of which has camera on main body and traditional size metal body.
Samsung Gear Fit Model# SM-R350; of which has no camera and narrow plastic body.
Samsung Gear 2 Neo Model# SM-R381; of which has no camera and traditional size plastic body.

The Next Big Thing Is Here | Samsung Galaxy S 5

You just made my head ache. :)

LowIQ

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
sometimes it's hard for me to figure out which of the Gear?, they have so I put all the info;
I would just call them Gear, Gear 2, Gear Fit and Gear 2 Neo. but I have found on these post people mix it up between the Gear 2 and Gear 2 Neo especially and frequently... we could also go with model # too?....
but I think it's best with "Gear, Gear 2, Gear Fit and Gear 2 Neo"

itinj6

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
I personally like the idea of the camera. It may not be used often but you never know when you will need it for that one time priceless pic and your phone was unreachable at that moment. Plus it's an invaluable resource for my particular job.

Posted via Android Central App

dusty78

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I had the neo first the went with the gear 2. The metal is nicer and I use the camera all the time. I didn't think I would but it has become my default camera. It's so much easier then whipping out my phone... Especially when time is short and you need to snap a quick shot. Just double press the gear home bottom and your ready to go. Took this one today with it

Posted via Android Central App

Attachments

• 20140519_160205.jpg
    20140519_160205.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 109

dorrien12

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
I had the Gear, I used the camera, but not enough to want it again and although the Metal looked nice, there were times I wanted it to look like a reg watch and it was heavy.

I got the Neo because it was all Black and looked like a regular watch. I could dress it down like it is or dress it up with a different watch band and bracelets. Plus the Neo is much lighter on my wrist.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using AC Forums mobile app

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I had the Gear, I used the camera, but not enough to want it again and although the Metal looked nice, there were times I wanted it to look like a reg watch and it was heavy.

I got the Neo because it was all Black and looked like a regular watch. I could dress it down like it is or dress it up with a different watch band and bracelets. Plus the Neo is much lighter on my wrist.

I'm perplexed by your comments. First of all, how in the heck does the Neo look like "a regular watch"?? Secondly, the difference in weight is negligible---it's a HALF AN OUNCE! or are you talking about the first gen gear which had the camera on the strap (a goofy deal, keeping people from swapping the band). The Gear was a heftier 2.6 ounces. Keep in mind you are posting in a GEAR 2 & Neo forum so the expectation is that is what we are discussing here...

dorrien12

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm perplexed by your comments. First of all, how in the heck does the Neo look like "a regular watch"?? Secondly, the difference in weight is negligible---it's a HALF AN OUNCE! or are you talking about the first gen gear which had the camera on the strap (a goofy deal, keeping people from swapping the band). The Gear was a heftier 2.6 ounces. Keep in mind you are posting in a GEAR 2 & Neo forum so the expectation is that is what we are discussing here...

Because I know what forum I am posting in, I figured everyone else could understand what I was saying. But since some clarity is needed, I am referring to the first one; the Gear, although I neglected to say Galaxy Gear.
That being said, it is indeed heavier than the Neo and more comfortable for me.

As far as your reply to my comment about the Neo looking like a regular watch. It does to ME; when it's not turned on. And to the average person, they wouldn't give it a second thought unless they saw me do more than glance at it for time. Galaxy Gear & the Gear 2 immediately draw attention, this is all my opinion of course. So that should answer the question of why "I" chose the Neo.

Hufza

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
I wanted the Gear 2 because of the camera. I prefer plastic before metal, so that's no reason for me. But I like the camera very much, I use it all the time for not so important pictures.

GWaLL13

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
I am still trying to decide which model to buy the Gear 2 vs the Gear 2 Neo. Parts of me wants to get the Gear 2 due to it looks nicer with the metal and the unknown of if there will be any apps written for the camera vs the less expensive Gear 2 Neo. $100 more for the Gear 2 seems like a lot for the couple of differences, however don't want to regret my decision.

When you were deciding which one to buy which did you chose and why? If you upgraded from the old Galaxy Gear were there any programs for it that used the camera other than for normal pictures?

Thanks for your help.

It was an easy choice for me. I went for the neo. $100 for a 2mp camera on my wrist when I have an S5 with a 16mp camera in my pocket. I'll save the $100 for accessories.

-via Android Central App on GWaLL's S5

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I had the original Gear. The camera was cool but I used it about twice. The camera MP was rather low so, I did not find the camera all that useful. I bought the Gear when I got my Note 3 as it was a promotion. I purchased it in December for 199. Then they announced the new GG2 shortly thereafter I could not see spending 300 on another watch especially when I had a sneaking suspicion that there would be others out that I wanted to upgrade to, So, mine was based on price and overall usefulness of the camera. When I got it, I thought that I would like the metal better but as it turns out the NEO is not that bad looking. My students think that the Neo looks better than the GG 1.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith