pedometer & sleep monitor accuracy? additional app "stores"

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
How accurate do ya'all feel the pedometer is? I just took 2 dog walks, same route both times. There was a difference of 86 steps between the two walks. I don't consider that significant because walking dogs you do a lot of stopping and steps are not always uniform. I plan to drive the same route and see what my car says just haven't done it yet.

I tried the sleep monitor, all it shows is total time was X hours motionless which seems totally off. I wake up a LOT, toss and turn a LOT and have a lot of trouble falling back asleep. Then it showed motionless for 88% of that time, at least that's how I'm reading it which means it's telling me that I I tossed and turned only 12% of that time? I guess I thought there would be more detailed information. Friend has some fitness band (don't know the make/model but not Samsung) but hers tells her things like time in the different sleep modes. Does this not do that?

Is the only place to get apps for the Gear 2 in the Samsung Gear store in the Gear Manager?

The freebie simple calculator is pretty neat :)

Deb

LowIQ

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Mine is very accurate as I was surprised by it!, as many of the pedometers I have used previously were not.

and got my Rescue dog and is keeping me from typing on my keyboard as she is on my lap curious to what I'm doing?.. miniature Schnauzer who happens to be an untrained service dog for my type 1 diabetes and lets me know when I'm low blood sugar. :)

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Mine is very accurate as I was surprised by it!, as many of the pedometers I have used previously were not.

and got my Rescue dog and is keeping me from typing on my keyboard as she is on my lap curious to what I'm doing?.. miniature Schnauzer who happens to be an untrained service dog for my type 1 diabetes and lets me know when I'm low blood sugar. :)

Your dog ROCKS! Thanks for your reply :)

Deb from my Note 3

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site

Could you explain "untrained service dog" for me? I'm a T1 on a pump and have to test a lot due to bg swings. I've seen stories on TV about service dogs that purportedly can detect lows. Since I don't sweat from having a low, I can't figure out how or if they really can detect lows in advance of getting into the 40's and 50's. Back when I was on animal insulins i'd sweat and shake, but not any more.

LowIQ

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I wish the Samsung Gear 2 Neo had ability off of the "Heart Rate" monitor sensor to be able to give a "Generalized approximate Blood Glucose" reading, even of O2 would be helpful to have a Star Trek Tricorder device!...
I say "untrained" as I got my dog as a rescue without any training in my diabetes management, it just happened one day I had a low blood sugar of 37 and my dog was barking and making a fuss and got my wife from another room and she noticed it and every time that it has happened, now if my blood sugar drops in the mid 60's to low 70's she barks at me or gets the attention of anyone who happens to be around, but now since I know what she is doing makes me check my blood sugar and has been 100% correct every time she does this to my amazement!
I was lucky that this miniature Schnauzer has that natural ability, but I have heard of people getting purposely trained dogs for this specific event of diabetics. You could probably Google or Bing search it or even contact the Diabetes Association and they will likely give more info on it.
For me it's great as I'm usually alone when my wife is at work as I'm also disabled and have been saved many times because of my dog's ability. I can attest to the viability and need for a diabetic to have a service dog such as this.
Having Low Blood sugars SUCKS!! as you well know!, and I have had some really bad ones twice where my heart actually stopped and had to get resuscitated when it got to "15" of which I did not know they could measure that low as my meter only goes to a low of 34?....
I would advise strongly as a diabetic to find a service dog with these abilities in order to minimize or ultimately prevent anymore low blood sugars...

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I wish the Samsung Gear 2 Neo had ability off of the "Heart Rate" monitor sensor to be able to give a "Generalized approximate Blood Glucose" reading, even of O2 would be helpful to have a Star Trek Tricorder device!...
I say "untrained" as I got my dog as a rescue without any training in my diabetes management, it just happened one day I had a low blood sugar of 37 and my dog was barking and making a fuss and got my wife from another room and she noticed it and every time that it has happened, now if my blood sugar drops in the mid 60's to low 70's she barks at me or gets the attention of anyone who happens to be around, but now since I know what she is doing makes me check my blood sugar and has been 100% correct every time she does this to my amazement!
I was lucky that this miniature Schnauzer has that natural ability, but I have heard of people getting purposely trained dogs for this specific event of diabetics. You could probably Google or Bing search it or even contact the Diabetes Association and they will likely give more info on it.
For me it's great as I'm usually alone when my wife is at work as I'm also disabled and have been saved many times because of my dog's ability. I can attest to the viability and need for a diabetic to have a service dog such as this.
Having Low Blood sugars SUCKS!! as you well know!, and I have had some really bad ones twice where my heart actually stopped and had to get resuscitated when it got to "15" of which I did not know they could measure that low as my meter only goes to a low of 34?....
I would advise strongly as a diabetic to find a service dog with these abilities in order to minimize or ultimately prevent anymore low blood sugars...

Wow that sucks that you got so low your heart has stopped. I once went to nearly zero for a little while (didn't QUITE pass out) because when I injected, I hit a vein. I knew it immediately, was about 1-1/2 miles from home, so we rushed home (and I do mean RUSHED!) from the restaurant where I injected and I threw a ton of sugar into a cup along with juice and guzzled. My wife (at the time) was unable to prepare the Glucagon, so despite being nearly blind by then from the low, and shaking like a leaf in a hurricane, I took over the Glucagon prep and stabbed myself in the tummy with the needle. Meantime, the paramedics were making their way to our house. I laid down on the floor about the time they walked into the room, and they hooked me up to an IV. By the time I was put in the ambulance, my bg was over 300. Glucagon is a lifesaver, for sure.

One paramedic that arrived at my place of business (i called 911) told me I could die from lows due to having a heart attack from the adrenalin release. Once I got a pump many years later, those kinds of lows gave way to just "annoying lows" which I self treat. I thought about getting a Dexcom but the transmitter is too large for me to want to wear. I already tried the MM CGMS but it was more of a random number generator than anything useful so I returned it.

Take care and give that doggie some treats! :)

LowIQ

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
yeah as I mentioned before it sucks!, one rule of thumb I follow is to use Glucose shots sparingly in increments of 15 grams Glucose shots per 15 minute increments as High Blood sugars as you get older does more damage than the lows?, I understand the panic of when one is of Low Blood sugar and can swing you dangerously to the other side... and those high blood sugar swings do much damage to the blood vessels in your optic nerves in the eyes!!
Be vigilant on keeping blood sugars from dropping and if they do and they WILL! as it can't be eliminated, so when they do keep sugar intake or glucose shots balanced with Insulin intake, I should get someone to make an Insulin/Bolus/Glucose Emergency SoS app for Samsung Gear Neo's for Diabetics.
I also have "SOS PnT SOS" installed on my Neo2 watch with my wife phone number programed so if I go down my GPS location will go to her or anyone else I have programed... One other thing is now we can use "911" for texting and one day be able to text 911 emergency responders directly with location... What You Need to Know About Text-to-911 | FCC.gov

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I never go anywhere without a bunch of skittles. each one is 1 carb, so it's easy to figure. I gave up on glucose tablets years ago because they are all disgusting. :) years ago I used to use those little cardboard boxes of juices like Hawaiian Punch but they were portable enough; also one time a can of juice leaked behind the seat of my car and I didn't know it until much later. the juice had dried up and was quite the job getting it out of the carpet.

WHen I am home, oftentimes I'll treat a low with Hershey's syrup in a small amount of milk. That is the very fastest thing I have ever used to get me out of a low. Very little fat in the syrup, so it's no like eating solid chocolate which we know is far too slow to treat a severe low.

LowIQ

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I use Glucose shots as you don't even need to swallow it to work because they work with enzymes of saliva in the mouth and go directly into the bloodstream, that especially helps if you are unconscious.Glucose-1.jpg
it's a pain especially when traveling and why having more health apps on Gear 2 Neo would greatly help those with medical needs from simple pill reminders to better interactions of other Google & Microsoft programs such as MS HealthVault and the Google equivalent. there is a whole host of apps that can be developed on this front especially for a watch that already has S-Health type apps in it.... I'm looking to what it takes for me to learn code so that I may develop some apps in that area for my needs and others who would benefit as well...

Hufza

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
I find the pedometer accurate enough. I also have a fitbit flex on my other hand, and they show mostly the same. But they both show a bit more steps than other type of step counters (for the waist) because the count things I do with my hands as well. But I increased my goal to 12500 steps instead of 10000 steps so I'm fine with that.

My fitbit also records my sleep. But the fitbit and the gear 2 do not report similar sleep patterns. The fitbit can report 7:21 of actual sleep time, while the gear 2 reports 6:35. The fitbit is also much more detailed in the sleep reporting. But none of them are perfect. If I cannot sleep and just lying still with my eyes open, they both think I'm asleep...

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
So can fitbit be put on my phone and watch or is that something totally dedicated to another band of some kind?

Deb from my Note 3

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995