Now that Android Wear is official and Samsung is releasing yet another watch...can our Gear 2's run

U4icLab

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
According to the IO conference, the LG watch and Samsung live, both featuring Android wear, will be available on the Play Store for ordering later today. From the demo, they don't seem to feature voice calls from the watch, but do have better integration into hangouts, google now, maps, etc. Do you think the Gear 2/ Neo will be able to support a different operating system...eventually/somehow?

Posted via Android Central App

Index77

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
I don't think Samsung will offer you a choice to install new OS but some developers might hack it and install android wear on it in future

Eman Vasquez

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
I called samsung and the rep told me that there wont be a way to upgrade the OS. Tizen sucks and there isn't really any apps. I hope developers at XDA can save the day.

clitrenta

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
I called samsung and the rep told me that there wont be a way to upgrade the OS. Tizen sucks and there isn't really any apps. I hope developers at XDA can save the day.

I'm not writing it off just yet. Tizen is just to new to do that. Shoot, remember when Android first came out? If you want to be an early adopter, it requires a certain amount of patience although admittedly that is NOT my strong suit. Still, I like my Gear 2 Neo a lot. More apps would be nice but I'm happy with it for now.

Index77

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
I read article on forbes, Pebble’s Chief says AW is not open source.. it is closed platform

If this is true, developer may not be able to install AW on Gear 2

bendernyc

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm confident it will release on the Gear 2. I like the camera and since Fleksy has been recently released I'll stick with the gear 2 for now. The way I see it, if the gear 1 with an inferior processor can go from droid to tizen, the gear 2 with a superior processor can run AW. We may not see it for a few months until after release but if I were to bet, it's coming. They just have to work out compatibility with camera, etc.

NoFaQ

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
I'm confident it will release on the Gear 2. I like the camera and since Fleksy has been recently released I'll stick with the gear 2 for now. The way I see it, if the gear 1 with an inferior processor can go from droid to tizen, the gear 2 with a superior processor can run AW. We may not see it for a few months until after release but if I were to bet, it's coming. They just have to work out compatibility with camera, etc.

I haven't seen any argument against it's ability to run AW based on hardware, the discussion has been purely whether Samsung can (or wants) to port it over to the Gear 2 due to the open/closed source differences between Tizen/Android Wear.

Don't make a decision to keep the Gear 2 based on a hope for a future change. Make a decision for one or the other based on current options, because it's a sure possibility that you could be disappointed that AW does not come to the Gear 2, in the future.

I'm sticking with the Tizen based Gear 2, for now, and am not holding out any hope for AW to come to it. If it does, it does, and I'll decide what to do at that point.

IliaLouganski

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
Apart from that the Gear 2 works well and does all I need already. I do not know which apps would come for AW but they have to be pretty awesome so I decide to change to AW.

For now gear 2 does all I expect from a smart watch and it does it well.

gdanonym

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
Well Samsung is known for just trying out stuff.
Look at the Galaxy Mega and the first Galaxy Note.

They then will wait and see how it develops under the buyers. I think this is the same with Gear, Gear 2 and Gear wear.
To be the first of everything (well most of them), they offers the first buy and this is really needed to see if something has potential.
The Gear has already been moved over to Tizen like the Gear 2. So i guess it was not good enough like it was.

My guess is, that Gear 2 will also go to Android Wear someday. Because now more watches will have Android wear. It is how Google will come with updates for the Android Wear OS. They have to involve fast. And think of more uses for a Wear device.

For me, i am happy with the Gear 2 and try stuff with this new play thingy. And over a year i will expect to have it boosted up with a new OS (hacked or official) to play again with it. In the mean time i will use it for controlling my phone using Tasker and organize my live more easy without taking out my phone all the time.

csm121295

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Samaung will probably never support Android wear for Gear2.
Samsung is rumored to release Gear3 and is not abandoning Tizen for smartwatch.
After all I think Tizen allows Gear smartwatches to last longer but limits the app support, making the Gear2 more "watch-like" than Gear Live which is more "smartwatch-like" than Gear2.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay