Gear advice before i brick my watch...

jdr004

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
Hey folks,

I'm calling out to all you DROID savvy people...

I have Gear and Gear 2...

I just factory restored my Original Gear back to stock from a NULL rom...Which got me thinking...

Is it POSSIBLE to flash my Gear 2 with the Original gear firmware?

I know a lot of people would think it's stupid...and for the most part I agree...BUT TIZEN SUCKS!!!

But I want certain android apps sideloaded onto my Gear 2...SPECIFICALLY a video player and MyShiftwork.

Thanks for any comments, suggestions or success/horror stories...

J.R

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I take it that when you wrote "Tizen sucks", what you meant was that you don't like Tizen. You didn't mean that Tizen ACTUALLY sucks, did you? I have no issue with Tizen other than I'd like to see a few more features added to our watches, such as my complaint about not being able to carry on a convo within Hangouts. I'd be fine with Tizen being broadened in its deployment and it's OS being embraced by more developers.

jdr004

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
I take it that when you wrote "Tizen sucks", what you meant was that you don't like Tizen. You didn't mean that Tizen ACTUALLY sucks, did you? I have no issue with Tizen other than I'd like to see a few more features added to our watches, such as my complaint about not being able to carry on a convo within Hangouts. I'd be fine with Tizen being broadened in its deployment and it's OS being embraced by more developers.

You are correct in your statement...I said Tizen "sucks" because it is in its infancy...even though it's been around for quite some time...there's no support...limited apps...and numerous reports on it being a "dead" OS.

To be totally honest...I could care LESS what OS is on a device as long as it offers what it's competitors offer...a stable and abundant app ecosystem.

I paid just shy of $400 for the gear 2 and only $50 for my gear...I love the look of the gear 2...but would swap the OS in a heartbeat if I could...

As for the Gear S...No...I wont be lining up for it...ESPECIALLY since you pointed out it will be running Tizen...I have NO need for a completely stand alone smart watch with only a 3G radio...I'll admit it looks amazing...but I'm more inclined to see what Asus may have up their sleeve...or perhaps wait until someone "fixes" the OS on this gear 2.

Index77

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
There are more than 1000 apps for tizen gear and hundreds of watch faces .. that's more than other wearable os, no?

Gear S coming with Nike+ app, Here maps, and battery last for 2 days on normal usage. If it was android, battery would die in 3 hours

Tizen is linux based so is android but bloated with heavy virtual machine to run java codes..

Tizen is not dead, Tizen is doing good in "smart things" but very hard to do well in mobile

Last edited:

jdr004

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
There are more than 1000 apps for tizen gear and hundreds of watch faces .. that's more than other wearable os, no?

Gear S coming with Nike+ app, Here maps, and battery last for 2 days on normal usage. If it was android, battery would die in 3 hours

Tizen is linux based so is android but bloated with heavy virtual machine to run java codes..

Tizen is not dead, Tizen is doing good in "smart things" but very hard to do well in mobile

Well I wish 1 developer of the 1000 plus apps you pointed out would develop a video player app for these.

I charge my phone nightly and watch nightly...it's great that it can go a few days without a charge...but at what cost?

I understand your point with Tizen doing well in smart things...but hard to do in mobile...but my comment was coming from a number of comments on line..

Huawei’s consumer business head Richard Yu doesn’t think much of it. “Tizen has no chance to be successful,” he told The Wall Street Journal.

Days after Samsung introduced a Tizen OS-based smartphone, a UK-based analyst declared the operating system a non-starter, despite its backing by a consortium of heavyweights including Intel, Samsung and LG Electronics.

"Watching Tizen's development is like watching a car crash in slow motion,"

Just days after postponing the launch of its high-end Tizen phone, Samsung has scuttled the device all together, which begs the question of how long the Tizen OS itself has.

Granted I know these comments are mostly for phones...but if you don't have the backup of the developers for phones...you certainly wont have them lining up to code anything for mobile watches running such an unpopular OS.

So while I admire all of you standing up for the little guy...It's simply not for me...and I still wish to have Android on this watch...

As for other wearables...There's really only a couple because clearly you cant count pebble or like.

I went with the Galaxy gear 2 because I liked the original (minus the god awful ugly camera, speaker band and lack of liquid protection) So I only assumed that the Gear 2 would be better...sadly Tizen ruined that expectation for me.

I am eagerly awaiting Sept 9th and see what other companies have up their sleeves in the "wearables" department...

In closing I'm not against new OS. I'm not against the little guy. I just feel if you're going to take a stab at the market...at least give yourself a fighting change and launch something that isn't already obsolete and so far behind the times.

gdanonym

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site

Is this Samsung secret weapon to keep Tizen alive?

Index77

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Well I wish 1 developer of the 1000 plus apps you pointed out would develop a video player app for these.

I am a developer and I have developed 10 apps requested by users in this forum or by email. Gear 2 plays video.. no one requested another video player for this small screen! I am not going to develop more apps this year. I need to keep updating my own apps for now.

I don't take the Huawei CEO words seriously ... First they have "no chance" in making money from WP and the they have "no chance" of making any profits from Tizen too. Second, Huawei is a direct competitor for Samsung in China. Do you think they are going to help Samsung with Tizen?
Huawei and other Chinese OEMs started the feel the "money" of selling android. Why they would change? They will top OEM in the world if they managed to control the Chinese market only! So yes, Tizen has no chance for them!

Samsung know that they will not make any profits from Tizen in the next 3 years in mobile and they have to spend billions but it so important for them. The profits from selling "hardware" going to drop significantly while google and apple is going to make more profits from the software ecosystem.

Yes, the Tizen mobile dev slowed this year. They took one step back in 2014 after taking few step forward in 2013. It is not ready and people will not switch to Tizen .. It will fail like WP is failing. WP market share only 2.5% this Q1 failing from 3.2% and most users own the mid-budget phones. However, if Samsung decided to shift all their dumpphones to Tizen then Tizen next year will be the 3rd OS :)

So, IMO, Samsung realized if they release new flagship Tizen phone now, it is going nowhere and will receive negative comments similar to WP7.

So what is the solution? IMO, the ecosystem in 3 years will not be about phone services only but about the smart home. So, Samsung is building a smart home ecosystem around Tizen. When your smart home is supplied with Tizen stuff and you started to like Tizen, then you would buy a Tizen phone or stay with Galaxy phone (win-win)

Why Tizen is better than android? It is light OS comparing to fat OS.. and if Tizen proofs it is more secure then android then it will find many markets and carriers welcoming them in Asia, EU or Russia.

So, This is the first time ever, Samsung is ahead in software development. Yes , google and apple might catch them up in smart things, but android going to sucks resources (memory, battery etc..) and that's might not change

Samsung and Unity3d (the largest game dev tool for mobiles) announced that Samsung Smart TV (Tizen) will play unity games. That's a game changer for some people. Developers made 1000s of games with unity and they can be ported in few hours to Tizen TV

I don't work for Samsung and Tizen yes might fail, but at least let them try.. why so many people attacking Tizen! We will have competition instead of Android dominating the world

If you don't like it, many do like Gear 2. It is your own preferences and Tizen as OS is not owned by Samsung .. it is owned by Linux Foundation (HQ in USA) and supported by Samsung and Intel. Next Year, all developments will be shifted from Korea to US.. Yes next year will be important for Tizen. If they can't make phones (flagship, mid range, or low specs) to the market then Tizen might fail

Last edited:

Index77

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Is this Samsung secret weapon to keep Tizen alive?
Read my other post. It is hard game for Tizen. Microsoft spent billions and it is still nowhere, they give people no reason to switch.
Yes, I think the smart home and smart things can be the secret weapon of Tizen. They have a chance, small or big, I don't know but let them try..

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johndoe11