Auto-lock feature taken away with latest gear manager update!

jmatteis

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
Confirmed with Samsung support chat, that it was removed from the current update, due to security issues. Update occured November 4th I believe. Hoping it returns next update... or as the other person said for the NOTE, make it a feature of the device in general to have trusted bluetooth devices, that provide "proof of ownership" when within range.

shark2eatu

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
I have the same problem with my Gear 2. My old Gear 2 broke in August and they replaced it. The new one does exactly what yours does. The box won't stay checked.

Droidful

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
No I don't believe you understand, that's the general phone settings for screen lock. Before the update if I received a notification on my watch I could unlock my phone with just a swipe even if I had a pattern lock set. If my watch got too far from my phone it would revert back to the pattern screen lock. It was one of the best features of my watch imo and one of the reasons I don't use my Neo as much anymore
I just got neo on Christmas eve, the function you describe works for me with my note 4
As I recall, I did have to reset my auto lock a few days ago as it stopped working. Since then it has worked fine. I just wish I didn't have to swipe my screen to unlock, but that is still better than having to enter a pin or pattern. Ideally as long as I was wearing my watch my phone would just open like it did before I installed the auto lock.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

AXEL314

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
Hmmm .... since my last post confirming that I still have this feature - I still have it (and it has been updated since my original screen cap)

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-01-09-01-24-35.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-01-09-01-24-35.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 11

Insurance4us

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
I just started having an issue with the auto lock. I want the feature back. It is the only reason I bought the watch in the first place. Is there a way to remove the update that caused this?

pduffer

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
I now have the Samsung flip cover on my Note 4 which with the auto lock feature and my Gear 2 Neo means I only have to open the cover and my phone is unlocked when near my watch.

Ralph_Gracie

May 24, 2016
Visit site
Not only has Samsung allegedly removed one of the most useful and sensible features of their Gear range, they have also created a software loop that has no exit point when attempting to re-enable the auto unlock function. I'm very disappointed.

jmatteis

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
Yep. I have contacted Samsung support a couple of times, and told them that you just keep going in circles, trying to activate it, they don't care. NICE!

CJ Sacksteder

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
Well I thought I had the latest Gear Manager, and today when my phone upgraded to Android 6.0 (which didn't work right and I had to do a factory reset), the auto-lock feature is gone.

Agreed, it was about the most useful feature!:mad:

Droidful

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Well I thought I had the latest Gear Manager, and today when my phone upgraded to Android 6.0 (which didn't work right and I had to do a factory reset), the auto-lock feature is gone.

Agreed, it was about the most useful feature!:mad:
Mine also updated yesterday, but I still have auto lock

mjspuk

Jun 17, 2016
Visit site
I came across this discussion after I noticed the option to auto unlock my previous phone with my Gear S2 has disappeared after migrating to a Galaxy S7.

Realised the best workaround is outside Gear Manager, which probably isn't such a bad thing. Go to Settings > Lock screen and security > Secure lock settings > Smart Lock > (enter your existing unlock) > Trusted Devices.

Wakerider

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I just bought a gear fit 2, and installed Gear app on my note 3, I have the very latest version.

The auto unlock option is there and it worked yesterday.

Today, it was grayed out and like others said, I would go through the motions of turning it on but it would still be disabled.

An earlier post in this thread mentioned the fix, I guess some of you overlooked it.

If you use any apps that install credentials, then auto-unlock will be disabled. You can't even change your standard screen unlock to swipe.

My banking apps, my VPN, every time I use them, it creates a credential and does this.

Go into security, "clear credentials" and it solves the problem. Auto unlock with the gear fit 2 works again. Don't worry, whatever app placed the credential will simply create a new one as needed.

I have been clearing credentials so I could have 'swipe to unlock' for about a year now, so I can promise you, it doesn't hurt anything. I just didn't realize it would disable it on the gear fit 2 also.

seasonrovang

Jul 1, 2016
Visit site
Are you one of the Gear owners who loved the "Auto-Lock" feature in the Gear Manager settings that enabled your connected phone to be unlocked when your watch was near it and then locked if it was too far away? Well Samsung has decided to take that awesome feature away with it's latest Gear Manager OS update. It's bad enough that I feel unsupported due to the lack of apps Tizen has (doesn't have) and now they're starting to take away features from their wearables? AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO IS PISSED ABOUT THIS?!View attachment 190807
So im really late on replying! I'm sure you have figured it out by now.. but for future friends who find this post phone settings>security>trust agents (switch it on)>go back one screen>new option appears called Smart Lock> bluetooth>select your device. Now mine works perfectly!

Last edited:

James117860

Aug 16, 2016
Visit site
Are you one of the Gear owners who loved the "Auto-Lock" feature in the Gear Manager settings that enabled your connected phone to be unlocked when your watch was near it and then locked if it was too far away? Well Samsung has decided to take that awesome feature away with it's latest Gear Manager OS update. It's bad enough that I feel unsupported due to the lack of apps Tizen has (doesn't have) and now they're starting to take away features from their wearables? AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO IS PISSED ABOUT THIS?!View attachment 190807

Just wanted to let you know a work around that doesn't involve anything stupid or complicated. I noticed this feature was missing and it was a huge let down for sure but I then realized digging around in my phone you can just add it to trusted devices in the settings and you are back in business. Not sure if you knew about that by now or not just trying to help.

Gary11223344

Dec 27, 2017
Visit site
hi it's still available but it's no longer available an gear manager
go to settings. security. smart lock. go to trusted devices and you'll find it there
you can also add any of your Bluetooth devices which is better I've added my car and headphones
BUT THE FEATURE IS STILL ON GEAR MANAGER (why )

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781