Gear Live - Not working as described. Cannot respond to SMS

kwijybo

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Got my Gear Live yesterday. A little disappointing except for the voice searching and commands which is very cool. I cannot believe the watch faces they included. You can see them online and most are very abstract. If you just want to see digital time, it shows small digits in the upper left corner of the screen. You want something bigger? Have to wait for apps to be developed.

Anyway, it is stated that you can reply to text messages, both SMS and Hangouts, by swiping the card to the left (right to left as it is described). The only option at that point on the watch is to Open on Phone.

Where are the canned replies?

Where does one go for support? Functionality is not what is stated. There is no user guide other than how to pair the device.

There just needs to be more functionality in the menu that's there. Really very little.

Last edited:

tqmcguire

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
You can only reply to SMS from the watch (by voice or canned replies) if the app you're using supports it. Hangouts is the app I'm using until others add support.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

kwijybo

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
I'm using the standard Android SMS - not SMS on hangouts. Maybe there is a setting?
I did notice that I can reply to regular Hangouts(GTalk) messages.

tqmcguire

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
If you're talking about the AOSP Messaging app, while I doubt Google itself will add support, I see a version in the Play Store and the dev may add support. I suggest getting in touch with the dev and hopefully Wear support gets added for you.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

kwijybo

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
OK, I'll do a little research on it. I don't know about the AOSP Messaging app or if that's what I have. The phone is a Galaxy Note 2 and it's the SMS messaging app that came on the phone. Same App I had on Galaxy S III.

jasonaward

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
OK, I'll do a little research on it. I don't know about the AOSP Messaging app or if that's what I have. The phone is a Galaxy Note 2 and it's the SMS messaging app that came on the phone. Same App I had on Galaxy S III.

The stock messaging app provided with a Samsung device will not support this, at least not at this time.

kwijybo

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
OK, thanks. I've always used the stock SMS apps. Any recommendations for another app or should I just bite the bullet and use G+ for SMS as well?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie