Random thoughts on Gear Live

AzD

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
The band - I don't find it to be all that bad as people are making out. It is less fiddly to put on than my fitbit flex. Not that hard to clasp, really, just feel the holes and push in and it latches. As for style, that is just individual taste but this is kind of a geeky gadget so I am not at all put off by its looks. Nice that you can change them, but for me, I'll keep the stock one.

The screen - I don't find it that bad in the sun. Using the white clock face, I could easily see what time it was in full sun. Yeah, I couldn't see it very well looking at an angle, but looking straight on, it wasn't as hard to see as I thought it would be after reading the early reviews. I was prepared for a complete black out, but, nope; it is no better or worse than any smartphone I have used, IMO.

The charging base is kind of fiddly but those reports of it breaking - I can't see it, if you take a bit of care with it. Maybe I will be proven wrong on that point. They could stand to improve the design and make it simpler in future models.

Someone posted about the lack of auto capitalization when dictating a text message - I agree, that needs to be fixed. That is not specific to the Gear Live though, I assume that is an Android Wear software thing.

Another post was about the need to be able to buy additional charger bases. I agree with that as well, but I fear if they make them available, they will be like $35 or more, based on past history.

So far I am really liking the watch. Taken for what it is - a complement to a smartphone - it is pretty neat. I hope to see some interesting advancement of the technology.

Chimpware

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
In agreement completely with all your comments.

I actually like the band, not the easiest to get on, but seems secure and is really comfortable.

One thing I would add is that it is a bit confusing to get some apps working if you are not familiar with how they interact with the watch. Great example is Evernote where you can say "OK Google... Start Evernote" and then get a list of options on the watch. Other apps are similar, but you can also use the same command for non-wear apps and it launches the app on the phone so it is a bit confusing if you don't have a clear understanding of which apps are wear apps and which are not, and which require a companion app, and which just provide functionality within the app on the phone.

indianajonze

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
In agreement completely with all your comments.

I actually like the band, not the easiest to get on, but seems secure and is really comfortable.

One thing I would add is that it is a bit confusing to get some apps working if you are not familiar with how they interact with the watch. Great example is Evernote where you can say "OK Google... Start Evernote" and then get a list of options on the watch. Other apps are similar, but you can also use the same command for non-wear apps and it launches the app on the phone so it is a bit confusing if you don't have a clear understanding of which apps are wear apps and which are not, and which require a companion app, and which just provide functionality within the app on the phone.

meanwhile, i try "ok google start evernote" on the watch and it instantly opens it on the phone...

clrk9000

Jul 17, 2014
Visit site
The band looks really nice and is very comfortable BUT IT IS NOT SECURE. I dropped my Gear Live while I was using it and broke the screen. I suggest you replace the band the soonest you can.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
The band works fine for me. The clasp is odd, but works fine and stays on perfectly.

The charger, well the charger is simply the worst designed charger on the planet. I can't tell you how much of a PITA it is for me. There has to be a better way.

There should have been more watch faces to choose from at launch too. Overall, It's OK for me, I don't love it, don't hate it. I will probably get the Moto 360 though, perhaps just for frustration free charging (if that ends up being true for the 360).

virgocalifornia

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
Alot of your observations are spot on for me. I knew about many of these pros/cons before switching over from Neo 2. I do miss the sound for reminders and messages. That's an opportunity for Samsung to improve because the vibration is weak and short.

ahershey

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Cradle is poor design. I had mine for 4 months and then the very small post that holds it in place wore off (did not break, just wore off). Samsung refuses to replace without sending everything back to them. This was after 5 calls, 4 times saying that it was in the mail and would be there in 5 business days.