Broke my Gear Live screen in less than a day

u2g0d

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
My Gear Live arrived on Thursday and I got my hands on it Friday morning. I had it for about a day and Saturday morning, it fell from my lap, about a foot and half to the floor and broke :'(

IMG_20140712_154540272.jpg

Google Play store rep says that broken glass isn't covered under warranty replacement, so I'm checking with my credit card provider to see if it's covered under their purchase protection plan.

Even if I get a refund, I'm conflicted on whether to replace it or not - my 7 year old $50 dumbwatch survived years of abuse and I'm surprised how easily this one broke and I'm sure it will happen again.

JimSmith94

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
Man, that sucks! Yours is the second broken Gear Live screen I've seen reported. I haven't seen any reports for the other Android Wear watches, or any of the other Samsung Gear 1, 2, or Neo watches. This makes me think that either the screen is made of a different material, the mounting method is defective, or maybe the fit tolerance is too tight.

Evilnut

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
This nightmare has been my only hesitation in buying a SmartWatch. I am actually quite hard on watches. I own two Casio G Shock watches and a Tissot T Touch. All three of those have very robust glass on them. And all three have a ridge around the bezel to protect the glass even further. I have had the Tissot since it was introduced about seven or eight years ago. It has survived some amazing things without even a scratch on the glass, although the bezel is marked up pretty good and it is made out of stainless steel. We all already know how tough G Shocks are, so it's no surprise both of those are still doing great too. I'm wondering what Motorola will bring on their watch for its screen.

Posted via a beautiful Ebony backed Moto X on Verizon or the amazing Nexus 10 using the Android Central App

aitt

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
This will make me preorder thru best buy and get their protection plan.

Posted via Android Central App

wezra

Feb 1, 2010
Visit site
This is why I immediately had a screen saver put on mine. Its one of the wet apply ones that you get at the mall. Works and looks great and has already taken a couple of door handle wacks without any marks on the screen saver or breakage to the screen. Well worth the $10....

chefdave12118

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I work in a kitchen 12-14 hours a day. It's only a matter of time before mine looks like this. I'm gonna show my age here, but back in the day when Swatch watches were the "in" thing, they had these rubber band cases that wrapped around the the screen and body (mine was neon green ;) ). I bet a thick rubber band type of case would take the impact rather than the screen. I need to patent that idea ;).

belzaleel

May 20, 2011
Visit site
Will best buy let me return it? Still under 15 days

Sent from my One using AC Forums mobile app

Attachments

• 1407631828038.jpg
    1407631828038.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 43

NoFaQ

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
I work in a kitchen 12-14 hours a day. It's only a matter of time before mine looks like this. I'm gonna show my age here, but back in the day when Swatch watches were the "in" thing, they had these rubber band cases that wrapped around the the screen and body (mine was neon green ;) ). I bet a thick rubber band type of case would take the impact rather than the screen. I need to patent that idea ;).
Oh, man. The Swatch Guard. Then, the bigger watches had the plastic guard that snapped on the sides and we're circular like the watch face.