Anyone gone swimming?

RussST24

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Hi,
I know the Gear Live is "water resistant" but the IP67 rating should be ok for someone gently swimming in a pool?
Anyone been brave enough yet?

Thanks

Russ

Indoler

Banned
Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
Hi,
I know the Gear Live is "water resistant" but the IP67 rating should be ok for someone gently swimming in a pool?
Anyone been brave enough yet?

Thanks

Russ

"Water resistant" is not the same as "water tight". I interpret "water resistant" as being unaffected by accidental splash water and rain. I would not dunk a "water resistant" device in a swimming pool, river, lake, or sea. I would expect it to croak.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I'd love to see these reviews as well hehe. I'm thinking of getting one, but I never take my watch off when swimming. And I do get what 'water resistant' VS 'waterproof' means, but this is IP67 and as long as you don't dive deep into the pool, you shouldn't have the watch under 1m of water for more than 30 minutes, which falls right into the IP67 category.

Now, I know from the AC review that Jerry's used that in the shower a lot (thankfully, no pictures or video to prove that). But I'd like to know if this survives a few laps or at least playing with the kids.

RussST24

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I know its not officially for swimming, but 30 minutes at 1 meter I am sure a leisurely breast stroke would keep it within the tolerance.
Not brave enough to be the first to risk it, but I have seen videos with GS5 underwater in the pool and they have survived and have the same rating.
Guess we wait for someone to try it out :D

Russ

eprisencc

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
I don't trust the water resistant rating. My watch is not going anywhere near water. I don't shower with it, wash dishes, swim or anything else with it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Therock11

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I don't trust the water resistant rating. My watch is not going anywhere near water. I don't shower with it, wash dishes, swim or anything else with it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I've used my gear live swimming in the pool and while kayaking/boating without any issues. I recently used it in the ocean and I'll see how the salt treats it. I rinsed it off good but I ruined a waterproof citizens watch in Salt water.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech