Pairing with a Samsung phone?

Lozdog7

Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
So I really like the look of the Samsung s gear mainly for its 3g capability. But I have a nexus 5 and have no intention of changing phones. I've read a heap of reviews and YouTube videos, even the Samsung unpacked video talking about the watch. My understanding is that you need a Samsung to pair it with originally but after that you have 'complete freedom'. Can I still use my Bluetooth to send over phone calls and texts from my nexus 5 or did it mean complete freedom as you didn't need to pair it to a phone?

Posted via the Android Central App

El Platanero

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
I'm curious about this and also availability in the states. I own a note 3 and will have the 4 so compatibility isn't an issue, none the less curious though.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Since the watch has very limited UI, so I suspect Samsung wrote some special apps (need to run on a Samsung phone) to help initially setup the watch. That's no big deal.

Phone calls and text messages from phone should follow standard BT protocol. Calendar events and other notifications (to be shown on the watch) probably needs some proprietary protocol if communicated through BT (which means Samsung phones only). But since the watch can have its own GSM data connection, it can/should retrieve the calendar events directly OTA from your online accounts.

Lozdog7

Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
Legend! Thank you so much for clearing that up for me. I know I will have to wait for it to come out to be sure, but I have read so many contradictory articles and it confused me so much. One would say Samsung, one would say not. Thank you for taking the time to answer you really helped!

Posted via the Android Central App