06-11-2015 06:42 AM
105 1234 ...
tools
    Verizon and Sprint will not support a SIM card I was at the Verizon store today, I played with it and could not see a spot for SIM.
    As for at&t its 850/1900 HSPA+ and T-Mobile might get the same bands I wont know till tomorrow when I pick one up and I will test it on at&t network as I have both at&t and T-Mobile as long as the Gear S is unlocked
    11-08-2014 09:10 PM

BTW, you get neither voice nor data in either region with phone from other region. North America bands don't overlap with rest of the world (with a few exceptions). Even T-Mobile's AWS requires two bands (1700 and 2100) to work. And Japan only has 2100 3G band support.
    I can only speak for Europe, but I've always used European and US phones successfully in both regions, and when I do, always use a SIM card from the country I am in. But that's because phones these days come with a bazillion bands, and I always make sure my devices don't have a SIM lock. I hate that the Gear S seems so limited!

Did you try to put a T-mo SIM in your ATT Gear S to see what happens?
    11-09-2014 12:21 AM
    As for at&t its 850/1900 HSPA+ and T-Mobile might get the same bands I wont know till tomorrow when I pick one up and I will test it on at&t network as I have both at&t and T-Mobile as long as the Gear S is unlocked
    I was told by customer support that the T-mo Gear S will be locked, but that you can call them to have it unlocked after purchase.
    11-09-2014 12:24 AM
    I was told by customer support that the T-mo Gear S will be locked, but that you can call them to have it unlocked after purchase.
    I hope that is the case but I am planing on getting one tomorrow morning I will test the at&t SIM if locked I will look into unlocking it but I am also planing on forwarding an at&t # to it so I have to see how an Unlocked T-Mobile Note 4 on using it on at&t will work with a T-Mobile Gear S
    11-09-2014 12:42 AM
    ^ Very useful to know if that will work.
    11-09-2014 12:52 AM
    I can only speak for Europe, but I've always used European and US phones successfully in both regions, and when I do, always use a SIM card from the country I am in. But that's because phones these days come with a bazillion bands, and I always make sure my devices don't have a SIM lock. I hate that the Gear S seems so limited!
    Probably the size limitation has a lot to do with it. The chipset supports more bands and signal types but antenna will be too difficult to design in the size of a watch.
    Did you try to put a T-mo SIM in your ATT Gear S to see what happens?
    The first thing I did with my watch is put in a foreign (non-US) SIM card that I kept around for unlocking and testing locked phones. It promptly ask me for network unlock code. So I know it is locked.
    11-09-2014 07:44 AM
    Foxbat121 were you able to use your own nanoSIM in the Samsung Gear S. I tried to purchase one off contract from an AT&T store but I was told they won't sell it without a contract. I was planning to use it with my T-Mobile SIM. Do you know if the watch is unlock?

Yes, it works fine with my at&t sim. The watch is locked and currently can't be unlocked because the watches imei number is not in at&t database yet even if you are an AT&T customer.
    11-09-2014 08:56 AM
    Probably the size limitation has a lot to do with it. The chipset supports more bands and signal types but antenna will be too difficult to design in the size of a watch.
    Makes sense, though not very travel friendly.

The first thing I did with my watch is put in a foreign (non-US) SIM card that I kept around for unlocking and testing locked phones. It promptly ask me for network unlock code. So I know it is locked.
    Too bad, but thanks for the info.

I tried to find out which store around me carries them, and none do. Trying to order through T-mo only gives me a 15/month rate plan.

ETA, T-mo has the following bands listed on its site:

"International
    GSM: 850 MHz, 1900 MHz; UMTS: Band II (1900), Band V (850)"
    Seems to be the exact same one as ATT for a $50 markup.

Can the ATT locked version be used with H2O/Cricket, being that they operate on the same network?
    11-09-2014 12:02 PM
    I can confirm the T-Mobile one is locked I tried an at&t Sim and asked for code and the T-Mobile system does not have the imei to unlock yet maybe a week later the system will catch up
    11-09-2014 01:43 PM
    Can the ATT locked version be used with H2O/Cricket, being that they operate on the same network?
    As long as these use AT&T network, you can use the AT&T version. I saw confirmations from ppl who successfully used SIMs from Straight Talk as well Cricket. Cricket is actually an AT&T subsidiary.
    11-09-2014 02:31 PM
    I was wondering of I can purchase a Gear S from (let say) AT&T and use it only as a WiFi unit but my phone is with Sprint or Verizon. Will it perform other features (minus talk and data), will it refresh just by using BT?
    11-16-2014 12:05 AM
    Djd: Mine needs a SIM for call forwarding from phone to Gear when I am away from my phone, and possibly for location services.
    As long as phone and Gear S are both connected via BT, I see notifications, can transfer music, track steps, etc. with data switched off.

Are you thinking about getting this in case you want to add a SIM card later? Otherwise, the Gear 2 would make a bit more sense?
    11-16-2014 12:21 AM
    Any information on how they will sell the watch to those of us that have AT&T Unlimited Plans?
    Either change your data plan (I refuse to do) or open a single line and pay $30 a month. If you only want to use as an extension of your phone them buy outright and pay nothing.
    11-17-2014 08:03 AM
    Both are GSM carriers and both have HSPA+ deployment. The only thing will make this not working is the supported frequency bands. For 3G, T-Mobile used to be using 1700/2100 AWS bands but now moving to 850/1900 bands but still runs a mixed network depends on where you are. AT&T only has 850/1900 for 3G (mainly 1900). So, if you bought an AT&T Gear S, and if it only supports 850/1900 as originally posted, you won't get consistent 3G coverage on T-Mobile (but you will still get 2G coverage which is very slow).
    To the OP I'd say basically yes. I believe the Gear to be a dual-band 850-1900 device in standalone form. Not sure if the carriers lock them?

It's my guess that the ONLY time users will get faster data speeds is when using the Gear connected by BT to a parent device (if that device supports the higher speed bands). Not absolutely sure about this. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    11-17-2014 08:24 AM
    CellUnlocker.net will unlock it for $29
    11-18-2014 09:58 PM
    Can anyone confirm that T-mobile unlocked theirs, please?

I bought mine from T-mo. I asked on the phone when I ordered it if it can be unlocked right away after receipt, and was told yes. When I called to activate the SIM card, I requested an unlock code. That was 4 days ago. I was told no problem, but it may take up to 14 days.
    Now, I just received this email:

Thank you for taking the time to contact T-Mobile. Unfortunately, we are unable to process your request at this time. Per the manufacturer this device was designed to be used in conjunction with a T-Mobile SIM card only and therefore, a SIM Unlock code is not available. T-Mobile does have other handsets available for International Travel that can be unlocked to use on other networks. [...]

Thank You,

Customer Service
    T-Mobile USA, Inc.
    I paid full price for this device, no, actually, $50 extra, just so I could unlock it, because ATT told me they don't know how to do it, and because T-mo told me they could. As much as I love my device, I will return it if it only works on one network, as I could never switch to something else if I chose.
    11-18-2014 11:38 PM
    Foxbat121 were you able to use your own nanoSIM in the Samsung Gear S. I tried to purchase one off contract from an AT&T store but I was told they won't sell it without a contract. I was planning to use it with my T-Mobile SIM. Do you know if the watch is unlock?
    I have a similar question. If you get one that comes with an ATT SIM, can you switch a TMO SIM and have full operations on TMO network?

Posted via the Android Central App
    11-19-2014 08:42 AM
    I have a similar question. If you get one that comes with an ATT SIM, can you switch a TMO SIM and have full operations on TMO network?

Only if you unlock it first. Otherwise, it won't take your non-AT&T SIM.
    11-19-2014 10:07 AM
    I paid full price for this device, no, actually, $50 extra, just so I could unlock it, because ATT told me they don't know how to do it, and because T-mo told me they could. As much as I love my device, I will return it if it only works on one network, as I could never switch to something else if I chose.
    If you are an AT&T customer, there is no reason it can't unlock for you sooner or later. Sounds like you just get burned by T-Mo.

Besides, there is no value to unlock it right now as it won't work over-seas (outside of North America).
    11-19-2014 10:10 AM
    Only if you unlock it first. Otherwise, it won't take your non-AT&T SIM.
    Thanks. I just ordered a factory unlocked one instead. TMO sent me a SIM for it. So all I have to do is install it and activate it.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
    11-19-2014 10:54 AM
    Thanks. I just ordered a factory unlocked one instead. TMO sent me a SIM for it. So all I have to do is install it and activate it.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
    As far as I know, there is no Factory Unlocked version in North America. International versions won't work because it lacks US bands.
    Off contract purchase is still locked.
    Ntchwaidumela likes this.
    11-19-2014 10:59 AM
    I just got off the phone with Sammy and T-mo. T-mo says the Gear S is listed as a mobile broadband device, and therefore on the restricted device list, meaning it cannot be unlocked. I argued that I have an unlimited voice & text plan with 500 mb of data. Which makes it a phone, and asked to get it off the restricted device list. The rep I talked to let me talk to his manager, who denied the existence of a restricted device list, and she said that T-mo simply doesn't have the "tools" to unlock some devices, which is complete BS. The only option they gave me was to return the device, as there is no way they "can" unlock it.
    That's how customers get played by the uncarrier who promotes freedom of choice. I am disgusted with T-mo at this point, because I was told by three different reps that this device can be unlocked, and because there frankly is no reason to not provide unlock codes. This would be illegal in the EU.

If you are an AT&T customer, there is no reason it can't unlock for you sooner or later. Sounds like you just get burned by T-Mo. Besides, there is no value to unlock it right now as it won't work over-seas (outside of North America).
    It's a matter of principle. I need to be able to go to any carrier I want with it.
    Has anyone managed to get their ATT Gear S unlocked?
    As far as I know, there is no Factory Unlocked version in North America. International versions won't work because it lacks US bands.
    Off contract purchase is still locked.
    There are unlocked Gear S devices on Ebay that have the two US bands, I think from Korean sellers. I was thinking about getting one from there.
    11-19-2014 04:17 PM
    Check with the TMO sales department and explain what you need. They'll take care of it.

11-19-2014 04:26 PM
    I just got off the phone with Sammy and T-mo. T-mo says the Gear S is listed as a mobile broadband device, and therefore on the restricted device list, meaning it cannot be unlocked. I argued that I have an unlimited voice & text plan with 500 mb of data. Which makes it a phone, and asked to get it off the restricted device list. The rep I talked to let me talk to his manager, who denied the existence of a restricted device list, and she said that T-mo simply doesn't have the "tools" to unlock some devices, which is complete BS. The only option they gave me was to return the device, as there is no way they "can" unlock it.
    That's how customers get played by the uncarrier who promotes freedom of choice. I am disgusted with T-mo at this point, because I was told by three different reps that this device can be unlocked, and because there frankly is no reason to not provide unlock codes. This would be illegal in the EU.

It's a matter of principle. I need to be able to go to any carrier I want with it.
    Has anyone managed to get their ATT Gear S unlocked?

There are unlocked Gear S devices on Ebay that have the two US bands, I think from Korean sellers. I was thinking about getting one from there.
    I was cautioned by a South Korean eBay seller that the version they were offering probably wouldn't be able to utilize its full features; i.e., placing and answering calls, etc. So, if you plan to use your device as a stand alone, I suggest you purchase from a U. S. seller.

xendula likes this.
    11-19-2014 04:37 PM
    Can anyone confirm that T-mobile unlocked theirs, please?

I bought mine from T-mo. I asked on the phone when I ordered it if it can be unlocked right away after receipt, and was told yes. When I called to activate the SIM card, I requested an unlock code. That was 4 days ago. I was told no problem, but it may take up to 14 days.
    Now, I just received this email:

Might have something to do with return policy.

11-19-2014 04:39 PM
105 1234 ...