Can we use AT&T Gear S with TMobile as our carrier or vice versa?

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
I am still confused, one is GSM, the other is HSP...something, lol. If AT&T will sell it for $300 vs TMobile for $350, wouldn't it make perfect sense to buy it at AT&T? Better yet, if Samsung considers the Gear S as an accessory, like their other watches, can we use the 50% off promo code? :)

ETA: correction, the 50% off from Samsung only applies to accessories $50 and under.

Last edited:

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Both are GSM carriers and both have HSPA+ deployment. The only thing will make this not working is the supported frequency bands. For 3G, T-Mobile used to be using 1700/2100 AWS bands but now moving to 850/1900 bands but still runs a mixed network depends on where you are. AT&T only has 850/1900 for 3G (mainly 1900). So, if you bought an AT&T Gear S, and if it only supports 850/1900 as originally posted, you won't get consistent 3G coverage on T-Mobile (but you will still get 2G coverage which is very slow).

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Both are GSM carriers and both have HSPA+ deployment. The only thing will make this not working is the supported frequency bands. For 3G, T-Mobile used to be using 1700/2100 AWS bands but now moving to 850/1900 bands but still runs a mixed network depends on where you are. AT&T only has 850/1900 for 3G (mainly 1900). So, if you bought an AT&T Gear S, and if it only supports 850/1900 as originally posted, you won't get consistent 3G coverage on T-Mobile (but you will still get 2G coverage which is very slow).
So to be safe, TMobile subscribers should buy the Gear S with TMobile? What about buying the Gear S at Best Buy or at other non-carrier retailer?

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
If there are carrier variants, definitely will be as both Sprint and Verizon must have their own versions, Best Buy will carry all the variants, just like you try to purchase a Samsung Galaxy phone today.

To be clear, we haven't seen any official spec posted yet on any of these Gear S that is going to be release. The original spec posted in Sept only mentioned two GSM versions: one for overseas (using 900/1800 bands) and one for US (using 850/1900 bands). So for all we know so far, there is only AT&T version (or T-Mobile on 2G).

Dante314

Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
If there are carrier variants, definitely will be as both Sprint and Verizon must have their own versions, Best Buy will carry all the variants, just like you try to purchase a Samsung Galaxy phone today.

To be clear, we haven't seen any official spec posted yet on any of these Gear S that is going to be release. The original spec posted in Sept only mentioned two GSM versions: one for overseas (using 900/1800 bands) and one for US (using 850/1900 bands). So for all we know so far, there is only AT&T version (or T-Mobile on 2G).

I was literally just informed the watches are not carrier specific.

Posted via the Android Central App

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I was literally just informed the watches are not carrier specific.

Then you won't have any services on Sprint as Sprint (and Verizon) only has CDMA for 2G/3G connections unless of course, Samsung uses a unified chip that supports all GSM and CDMA signals like Google Nexus 5. Even then, for CDMA carriers, you will have to have those ESN's all put into carrier's database before you can get any service. All this is unknown so far.

Please keep in mind that don't confuse Gear S with all other watches. This is the first one that contains its own phone function. Other watches can be carrier independent because they only work with your phone.

Dante314

Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
Then you won't have any services on Sprint as Sprint (and Verizon) only has CDMA for 2G/3G connections unless of course, Samsung uses a unified chip that supports all GSM and CDMA signals like Google Nexus 5. Even then, for CDMA carriers, you will have to have those ESN's all put into carrier's database before you can get any service. All this is unknown so far.

Please keep in mind that don't confuse Gear S with all other watches. This is the first one that contains its own phone function. Other watches can be carrier independent because they only work with your phone.

I'm on T-Mobile

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I don't mean what your carrier is but simply citing that Sprint will sell a version Galaxy S. Sprint is CDMA for 2G and 3G.

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
I don't mean what your carrier is but simply citing that Sprint will sell a version Galaxy S. Sprint is CDMA for 2G and 3G.
Sorry, just to clarify, are you suggesting it's not wise to buy the watch at an AT&T store if you are a TMobile subscriber, if you want 3G or higher connectivity? In other words, just buy the watch specifically to your carrier? If so, Best Buy would be out of the question cuz they don't carry TMobile variants, like they don't on flagship phones.

d_godha

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
My watch box when opened had a Sim card from att installed. Bought it at att store. But I don't see any att bloat ware or branding on the watch

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
I just called a manager at a local AT&T, and he echoes what Foxbat said, that you CAN use AT&T Gear S with TMobile but you won't get consistent 3G connectivity, which kind of sucks. Besides, he said AT&T requires you to also buy their data plan with the watch. Oh well...

Dante314

Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
I just called a manager at a local AT&T, and he echoes what Foxbat said, that you CAN use AT&T Gear S with TMobile but you won't get consistent 3G connectivity, which kind of sucks. Besides, he said AT&T requires you to also buy their data plan with the watch. Oh well...

It appears I won't be getting one tomorrow if that's true, I'll just wait and order online directly from T-Mobile Sunday.

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
It appears I won't be getting one tomorrow if that's true, I'll just wait and order online directly from T-Mobile Sunday.

Yeah, I think it's prudent for us to wait until Sunday for the TMobile one. Perhaps I missed it, can you really order online with TMobile?

muadib279

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
This sucks if true. I want the watch, but have no need for a data plan. No new toy for me.

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
This sucks if true. I want the watch, but have no need for a data plan. No new toy for me.
I know, that sucks big time. I guess AT&T is being smart about it cuz everyone would be flocking to buy their watches, only to go to TMobile, Sprint, Verizon for service, since theirs are $50 less expensive.

I have contacted Best Buy twice today, asking if their watches can achieve consistent 3G connectivity or if they have variants of each major carrier. No answer, lol.

Tikerz

Oct 13, 2009
Visit site
I think these might be carrier locked as the model number for mine I just got from AT&T is R750A. T-Mobile will be R750T I'm guessing.

When the watch is connected to the towers it shows 4G as these aren't LTE capable.

UCLA_Randy

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Looks like specific carries have their own P/N -- (SM-R750AZKAAT) = ATT Black & (SM-R750T2KATMB) =Tmobile Black, Substitute the "K" with a "W" to constitute the white models. I noticed that ATT wants you to upgrade the software when you put sim in and start.
There current software version is R750AUCU1ANJ7.R750TUVUOA___

I found on Tmobile' support page a statement that the device will not work if it has different software. The only version they show is R750TUVUOA___. Which is similar to the tail end of the ATT software but I am sure it is different.

Last edited by a moderator:

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, just to clarify, are you suggesting it's not wise to buy the watch at an AT&T store if you are a TMobile subscriber, if you want 3G or higher connectivity? In other words, just buy the watch specifically to your carrier? If so, Best Buy would be out of the question cuz they don't carry TMobile variants, like they don't on flagship phones.

Correct. Samsung itself listed at least four different model numbers (not counting color codes) for 4 major US carriers. No one but AT&T listed specs on the Gear S. According to AT&T, its version only supports 850/1900 bands (take that with a grain of salt until Samsung lists full specs on its site). So, you will only get 3G service on T-Mobile when you are in the area where T-Mobile deployed 1900 3G towers. You will get no service on Sprint or Verizon (no CDMA radio's inside). That could also explain why each carrier's variant cost slightly differently due to different cell radio hardware inside. I'd say if I'm going to bet, I'd bet T-Mobile's version supports more bands than AT&T and can be used with both AT&T and T-Mobile.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez