Can we use AT&T Gear S with TMobile as our carrier or vice versa?

xendula

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Can anyone confirm that T-mobile unlocked theirs, please?

I bought mine from T-mo. I asked on the phone when I ordered it if it can be unlocked right away after receipt, and was told yes. When I called to activate the SIM card, I requested an unlock code. That was 4 days ago. I was told no problem, but it may take up to 14 days.
Now, I just received this email:

Thank you for taking the time to contact T-Mobile. Unfortunately, we are unable to process your request at this time. Per the manufacturer this device was designed to be used in conjunction with a T-Mobile SIM card only and therefore, a SIM Unlock code is not available. T-Mobile does have other handsets available for International Travel that can be unlocked to use on other networks. [...]

Thank You,

Customer Service
T-Mobile USA, Inc.

I paid full price for this device, no, actually, $50 extra, just so I could unlock it, because ATT told me they don't know how to do it, and because T-mo told me they could. As much as I love my device, I will return it if it only works on one network, as I could never switch to something else if I chose.

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Foxbat121 were you able to use your own nanoSIM in the Samsung Gear S. I tried to purchase one off contract from an AT&T store but I was told they won't sell it without a contract. I was planning to use it with my T-Mobile SIM. Do you know if the watch is unlock?

I have a similar question. If you get one that comes with an ATT SIM, can you switch a TMO SIM and have full operations on TMO network?

Posted via the Android Central App

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I paid full price for this device, no, actually, $50 extra, just so I could unlock it, because ATT told me they don't know how to do it, and because T-mo told me they could. As much as I love my device, I will return it if it only works on one network, as I could never switch to something else if I chose.
If you are an AT&T customer, there is no reason it can't unlock for you sooner or later. Sounds like you just get burned by T-Mo.

Besides, there is no value to unlock it right now as it won't work over-seas (outside of North America).

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. I just ordered a factory unlocked one instead. TMO sent me a SIM for it. So all I have to do is install it and activate it.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

As far as I know, there is no Factory Unlocked version in North America. International versions won't work because it lacks US bands.
Off contract purchase is still locked.

xendula

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
I just got off the phone with Sammy and T-mo. T-mo says the Gear S is listed as a mobile broadband device, and therefore on the restricted device list, meaning it cannot be unlocked. I argued that I have an unlimited voice & text plan with 500 mb of data. Which makes it a phone, and asked to get it off the restricted device list. The rep I talked to let me talk to his manager, who denied the existence of a restricted device list, and she said that T-mo simply doesn't have the "tools" to unlock some devices, which is complete BS. The only option they gave me was to return the device, as there is no way they "can" unlock it.
That's how customers get played by the uncarrier who promotes freedom of choice. I am disgusted with T-mo at this point, because I was told by three different reps that this device can be unlocked, and because there frankly is no reason to not provide unlock codes. This would be illegal in the EU.

If you are an AT&T customer, there is no reason it can't unlock for you sooner or later. Sounds like you just get burned by T-Mo. Besides, there is no value to unlock it right now as it won't work over-seas (outside of North America).
It's a matter of principle. I need to be able to go to any carrier I want with it.
Has anyone managed to get their ATT Gear S unlocked?
As far as I know, there is no Factory Unlocked version in North America. International versions won't work because it lacks US bands.
Off contract purchase is still locked.

There are unlocked Gear S devices on Ebay that have the two US bands, I think from Korean sellers. I was thinking about getting one from there.

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Foxbat121 were you able to use your own nanoSIM in the Samsung Gear S. I tried to purchase one off contract from an AT&T store but I was told they won't sell it without a contract. I was planning to use it with my T-Mobile SIM. Do you know if the watch is unlock?

Check with the TMO sales department and explain what you need. They'll take care of it.

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I just got off the phone with Sammy and T-mo. T-mo says the Gear S is listed as a mobile broadband device, and therefore on the restricted device list, meaning it cannot be unlocked. I argued that I have an unlimited voice & text plan with 500 mb of data. Which makes it a phone, and asked to get it off the restricted device list. The rep I talked to let me talk to his manager, who denied the existence of a restricted device list, and she said that T-mo simply doesn't have the "tools" to unlock some devices, which is complete BS. The only option they gave me was to return the device, as there is no way they "can" unlock it.
That's how customers get played by the uncarrier who promotes freedom of choice. I am disgusted with T-mo at this point, because I was told by three different reps that this device can be unlocked, and because there frankly is no reason to not provide unlock codes. This would be illegal in the EU.

It's a matter of principle. I need to be able to go to any carrier I want with it.
Has anyone managed to get their ATT Gear S unlocked?

There are unlocked Gear S devices on Ebay that have the two US bands, I think from Korean sellers. I was thinking about getting one from there.

I was cautioned by a South Korean eBay seller that the version they were offering probably wouldn't be able to utilize its full features; i.e., placing and answering calls, etc. So, if you plan to use your device as a stand alone, I suggest you purchase from a U. S. seller.

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Can anyone confirm that T-mobile unlocked theirs, please?

I bought mine from T-mo. I asked on the phone when I ordered it if it can be unlocked right away after receipt, and was told yes. When I called to activate the SIM card, I requested an unlock code. That was 4 days ago. I was told no problem, but it may take up to 14 days.
Now, I just received this email:

Might have something to do with return policy.

xendula

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
I was cautioned by a South Korean eBay seller that the version they were offering probably wouldn't be able to utilize its full features; i.e., placing and answering calls, etc. So, if you plan to use your device as a stand alone, I suggest you purchase from a U. S. seller.
Thanks for the word of caution!!

Might have something to do with return policy.
I can't really see a connection, since unlocked devices are being bought and returned all the time.

xendula

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
I know you all must be sick of my constant questions at this point, so spologies in advance. I am thinking of picking up an ATT device today, since my local store has it in stock.

Has anyone:
  • bought the ATT version
  • Unlocked it by att
  • Or: unlocked it through a vendor (please state which one)
  • And: is successfully using it with a T-mo SIM? Paired to their T-mo main phone? Does voice/text/data/forwarding work when remotely connected?

Also, I know one user here bought the ATT version in store and it was unlocked.
Anyone else? Was it white or black?

Thank you so much in advance!

Active55

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
Ordered from eBay from a U.S. seller.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

I see a New York seller named Blutek that says the factory unlocked one they are selling is 850/1900mhz, but they don't list the model number (SM-R750?).

The SM-R750W is 900/1800mhz and I don't believe it will work in the USA.

lesley57

Nov 23, 2014
Visit site
I purchased an ATT Gear S and want to unlock it to go with T-Mobile. I have spent all day talking with ATT and Samsung trying to get a straight answer to whether I could take my watch to TMobile. The first ATT rep told me that watch is bound to ATT and could not be unlocked, end of story. I didn't believe that so called Samsung who conferenced in another ATT Tech rep. She told me that I should be able to unlock the watch as it has an IMEI number and gave me the att.com/deviceunlock site to try. However, when I entered the number in the att.com/deviceunlock site to initiate the process to unlock the device, I received an error message telling me they have no record of the code. So I called ATT back and confirmed that YOU CANNOT UNLOCK THE PHONE, however you might (repeat, MIGHT) be able to put a T-Mobile sim card in the phone and get it to work but only at 2G speeds. I have not tried this and so have no idea if it would work. Given that the only time you will need to use the watch's standalone phoneline will be when you are out of Bluetooth range of your phone to receive VOICE calls, you should ask yourself if you really care if you are getting 2G speed. If you plan to do a lot of surfing on your watch while out of Bluetooth range, then you probably wont be happy with the service.

Don't believe all the "experts" who talk about unlocking these watches or even worse, try and sell you an unlocked watch. Read the posts carefully - I have not read one from anyone, mine included, that has actually done the things they say can be done. I purchased my watch less than 14 days ago at ATT, so my strategy will be to return the watch, get my money back, and go buy another one at TMobile along with a new phone and cheaper service.

dorrien12

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
I purchased an ATT Gear S and want to unlock it to go with T-Mobile. I have spent all day talking with ATT and Samsung trying to get a straight answer to whether I could take my watch to TMobile. The first ATT rep told me that watch is bound to ATT and could not be unlocked, end of story. I didn't believe that so called Samsung who conferenced in another ATT Tech rep. She told me that I should be able to unlock the watch as it has an IMEI number and gave me the att.com/deviceunlock site to try. However, when I entered the number in the att.com/deviceunlock site to initiate the process to unlock the device, I received an error message telling me they have no record of the code. So I called ATT back and confirmed that YOU CANNOT UNLOCK THE PHONE, however you might (repeat, MIGHT) be able to put a T-Mobile sim card in the phone and get it to work but only at 2G speeds. I have not tried this and so have no idea if it would work. Given that the only time you will need to use the watch's standalone phoneline will be when you are out of Bluetooth range of your phone to receive VOICE calls, you should ask yourself if you really care if you are getting 2G speed. If you plan to do a lot of surfing on your watch while out of Bluetooth range, then you probably wont be happy with the service.

Don't believe all the "experts" who talk about unlocking these watches or even worse, try and sell you an unlocked watch. Read the posts carefully - I have not read one from anyone, mine included, that has actually done the things they say can be done. I purchased my watch less than 14 days ago at ATT, so my strategy will be to return the watch, get my money back, and go buy another one at TMobile along with a new phone and cheaper service.

Are you going to try the T-mobile SIM card to see if it works first?

xendula

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
I purchased an ATT Gear S and want to unlock it to go with T-Mobile. I have spent all day talking with ATT and Samsung trying to get a straight answer to whether I could take my watch to TMobile. The first ATT rep told me that watch is bound to ATT and could not be unlocked, end of story. I didn't believe that so called Samsung who conferenced in another ATT Tech rep. She told me that I should be able to unlock the watch as it has an IMEI number and gave me the att.com/deviceunlock site to try. However, when I entered the number in the att.com/deviceunlock site to initiate the process to unlock the device, I received an error message telling me they have no record of the code. So I called ATT back and confirmed that YOU CANNOT UNLOCK THE PHONE, however you might (repeat, MIGHT) be able to put a T-Mobile sim card in the phone and get it to work but only at 2G speeds.
Sounds like you got the same run around that T-mobile and Samsung gave me: I bought the T-mo version because they told me that it could be unlocked, but after I activated the new sim card and they submitted an unlock request, they emailed me back, saying Samsung did not provide them with the tools necessary to unlock this device. Sammy says they send over unlock codes along with the devices. T-mo, however, was adamant that the Gear S will never get unlock codes, so I bought one at the ATT store and found an awesome employee who chatted with ATT support for me, who then submitted a case for an unlock code. That was on 11/20, resolution was supposed to be today,11/24. I just called them, was forwarded to three different departments, and after a rather long conversation, ATT came through and gave me my unlock code! All I have with them is my unlimited data plan, so not sure if they were just being extra nice or if that's enough of a requirement, but I can confirm that ATT are the only ones who will unlock it here in the US, that my tmo card works in it, that both versions utilize the exact same bands, so they are equally fast/slow, and that the watch seems to be exactly the same.

Lesley, you are better off keeping the watch you have and unlocking it through the Ebay link posted further up in this thread, or if you have ever been an ATT customer, through customer service for free. It's bizarre that you had such a different experience from me with att.

I also bid on the Ebay code, and now have the potential to unlock any Samsung device, just that all my devices are already unlocked.

Last edited: