12-24-2014 01:44 AM
200 ... 45678
tools
    Fierce!
    11-07-2014 05:17 PM
    Hubby picked mine up for me today. One of only three at the store.
    11-07-2014 05:21 PM
    I'm hoping to get mine next week but can anyone tell me if I'll get WhatsApp notifications on the Gear S? I'm not all that familiar with Tizen yet

sent from my Galaxy s5
    11-07-2014 05:35 PM
    I'm hoping to get mine next week but can anyone tell me if I'll get WhatsApp notifications on the Gear S? I'm not all that familiar with Tizen yet

sent from my Galaxy s5
    Yes. You set up to get whatever notification you. Responding is another question

Posted via the Android Central App
    dov1978 likes this.
    11-07-2014 05:41 PM
    Ahh thanks. I'm guessing there's no actual Tizen app for it yet then so you have to reply via the phone? I can live with that.
    11-07-2014 05:45 PM
    If the watch is connected to the phone can I make calls with the watch without having any plan for the watch? Anyone know?
    11-07-2014 06:30 PM
    If the watch is connected to the phone can I make calls with the watch without having any plan for the watch? Anyone know?
    Yes, there three different connection modes for the watch:
    1. BT connection
    2. Remote connection when you can't connect to the phone via BT. The Gear S will try to connect via wifi or cell network.
    3. Gear only. When it is not possible to connect to the phone in any of above mode.

When you are in BT connection, you can make/receive phone calls and SMSs via the phone itself. The watch's mobile connection or number is never used.

When you are in other two modes, you will rely on watch's own cell radio for phone calls and SMS. Hence a plan is required. But if you don't care about phone calls or SMS, you don't have to use mobile radio. You can still use the wifi connection to connect to your phone for other watch functions.

When you are in Gear Only mode, apps no longer work on the watch.

I'm on AT&T. I didn't sign up for a plan. I intend to swap the SIM card with my phone (which is currently not a Samsung phone) when needed. Other times, my Gear S will rely on wifi to connect to my old Samsung GS3 that sit at home plugged in without any SIMs for email notifications, calendar and contact syncs.
    m3lover1 and Sammuel1973 like this.
    11-07-2014 06:37 PM
    1. BT connection
    2. Remote connection when you can't connect to the phone via BT. The Gear S will try to connect via wifi or cell network.
    3. Gear only. When it is not possible to connect to the phone in any of above mode.

When you are in BT connection, you can make/receive phone calls and SMSs via the phone itself. The watch's mobile connection or number is never used.

When you are in other two modes, you will rely on watch's own cell radio for phone calls and SMS. Hence a plan is required. But if you don't care about phone calls or SMS, you don't have to use mobile radio. You can still use the wifi connection to connect to your phone for other watch functions.

Thanks you are awesome! Currently debating whether to wait and get tmobile version or att today. I'm not really looking for a smartwatch with plan anyways, just connected to the phone like pebble or moto 360
    11-07-2014 06:40 PM
    1. BT connection
    I think I'm starting to understand why either the device number or the Gear number appear based on 2 & 3. Thing are starting to make sense now

11-07-2014 07:34 PM
    I think I figured this out for my own ignorance

Device number shows for bluetooth connect and remote connect

Gear number shows when Gear alone.

I'm sure most may have known that but I just could not comprehend that for myself until above comment

I'm also suspecting that connected to wifi may be causing issues for the remote connect and fowarding to be wonky. Only a thought but when I turned wifi off and went out of range it connected much quicker and smoother than with wifi on. I'm wonder if wifi interferes with the way the data connects with the phone. Will have to test this theory more tomorrow

11-07-2014 09:49 PM
    Not even Tizen apps downloaded directly to the Gear S? I was hoping to be able to leave my phone at home when I go running, and to use GPS and the phone apps to listen to audiobooks and map/track my runs.
    11-08-2014 12:02 PM
    Not even Tizen apps downloaded directly to the Gear S? I was hoping to be able to leave my phone at home when I go running, and to use GPS and the phone apps to listen to audiobooks and map/track my runs.
    If your Gear S connects to the internet via its own cell radio, you will be in Remote connection mode as long as your phone at home still connects to the internet. Gear Only mode means either your watch or your phone no longer connects to the internet. I have not tested what apps can work but the above limitations are from reading the manual.
    11-08-2014 12:21 PM
    Is Nike+ available already or is it preinstalled in your Gear S? Do you get continuous heart rate monitoring in your workouts? Gear Fit's heart rate monitor was a flop on this area.
    11-09-2014 06:02 AM
    i got it friday finally for verizon after they ficed their network issue.
    this should be the pnly watch able to be called a smartwatch. this is awesome. i had a moto 360 and returned it after 2 days. it looked beautiful but basically was an extension for notifacations. it was nice but the Gear s is light years ahead of the lg g watch or 360 or android wear. this is a smartwatch.

it is awesome, love going to the gym and leaving my note 4 at home becasue it large on my arm band. connect my bluetooth headphones and listend to music. making calls. beaticful screen. touch sensitivty it awesome. a really smooth watch.
    11-09-2014 10:04 AM
    Is Nike+ available already or is it preinstalled in your Gear S? Do you get continuous heart rate monitoring in your workouts? Gear Fit's heart rate monitor was a flop on this area.
    You have to download it. First setup requires the app on the phone too. After that stand alone mode works.

Sorry not sure on the heart rate. May make it out for a run today. Will let you know.
    Mom2Ninjas likes this.
    11-09-2014 10:24 AM
    I'm using a Garmin HRM strap from my Fenix 2 and 920XT .... no HR #'s Nike + read out. I read that it only supports a low end polar HRM. Net/Net as a runner I don't plan to leave home(run) w/out my dedicated Garmin + HRM.
    11-09-2014 03:54 PM
    For the life of me I can't find that post any more, but someone said they used their tablet's ATT SIM in the Gear s. Is that the grandfathered unlimited plan that came with the iPad1? Can the number receive calls/dial out? I still have that plan since my first iPad, and I can't get that comment out of my head.

(None of the T-mo stores around me carry the Gear S, so I ended up ordering it over the phone earlier today, which took over 1.5 hours. Now I am thinking maybe I should have gotten the cheaper ATT version to use with my iPad's SIM.)
    11-09-2014 10:08 PM
    For the life of me I can't find that post any more, but someone said they used their tablet's ATT SIM in the Gear s. Is that the grandfathered unlimited plan that came with the iPad1? Can the number receive calls/dial out? I still have that plan since my first iPad, and I can't get that comment out of my head.

(None of the T-mo stores around me carry the Gear S, so I ended up ordering it over the phone earlier today, which took over 1.5 hours. Now I am thinking maybe I should have gotten the cheaper ATT version to use with my iPad's SIM.)
    Could have been my post here... see this thread.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sho....php?p=4036202
    11-09-2014 10:41 PM

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sho...d.php?t=458575

11-09-2014 10:46 PM

Thank you!! I was looking in the wrong thread, no wonder!
    11-09-2014 11:00 PM
    ok i love this watch and i know it suppose to be a watch an extension of out phone but i have 2 issues that should have beena no brainer for samsung.

1. NO CALENDAR!!!!!! no calendar built in, only a scheudle which allows you to see day by day not the whole month to check a date. this is a common sense app that shoul dhave been on here. I dont want to buy one in the app store for $199 and the couple free ones are a crap brown color and look horrible.

2. CANNOT SET A TASK USING S VOICE!!!!! i set reminders often from my phone and thought it was a no brainer to do on this watch but i guess not. I hit S Voice and say , "remind me at 830 to call someone, or pay a bill, or take my medicine." it replies back "adding tasks is not supported"

3. Lastly, I know this one ahs been mentioned a lot and hopefulyl SAmsung will release a software update to fix this. we have to remeber this is so new, and like with android wear, they will update and fix thigns as it gets older.

BUT..... why do i not see my watch face when i turn my wrist? if it is one of the preloaded analog faces on the watch it will should that face, but if it is a digital one or a custom watch face, a turn of the wrist only shows the time on a balck and white background. why do i want to look at that. by the time i touch my screen i am goign into using the watch for something else and will not be seeing my custom face. whatever the face is we should be able to see it when we turn our wrist, make the digital and option. even when i turn the watch face always on it still shows the digital time when i look at it. so dumb and frustrating.
    why these seems like very basic simple things and this wonderful smartwatch is dumb in these to very basic areas.

if i am missing something please let me know. otherwise this is the best watch out there. absolutely love it.
    11-10-2014 08:32 AM
    Finally, Finally, and Finally.. Tmobile took my order, raped me for $401, and will be overnighting my Black Gear S and it will be here tomorrow.. Already moved the Pulsar Chrono to my right wrist. I am not dealing with a full deck, and I will be walking around with TWO watches on my arm..
    11-10-2014 12:39 PM
    Finally, Finally, and Finally.. Tmobile took my order, raped me for $401, and will be overnighting my Black Gear S and it will be here tomorrow.. Already moved the Pulsar Chrono to my right wrist. I am not dealing with a full deck, and I will be walking around with TWO watches on my arm..
    Full geek mode. Lol

11-10-2014 12:46 PM
    Grrrr mine seems to have a permanent smudge on right upper corner of the watch, looks like fingerprint smudge but doesn't come off. Like the halo effect on the note 4's with glass screen protector. Very annoying. Not sure if att will allow me to exchange just for that
    11-10-2014 03:36 PM
    Grrrr mine seems to have a permanent smudge on right upper corner of the watch, looks like fingerprint smudge but doesn't come off. Like the halo effect on the note 4's with glass screen protector. Very annoying. Not sure if att will allow me to exchange just for that
    If not return it. Buy a new one. ATT usually not that picky

11-10-2014 03:42 PM
200 ... 45678