The Official: I have my Gear S thread! Reviews, etc.

Michael Maloney1

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
not to ask a dumb ? but they were able to activate it? they were nto able to this morning. they said verizon had a network wide issue with it. let meknow ty

Marley

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
Went to a VZW store in Scottsdale, AZ and purchased the only one they had. It's beautiful! Paid $399 to keep it off contract and $5 line access per month. *swooooon*

Posted via the Android Central App

reesh11

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Got it! Took a little while and I was pissed that the tax amount was $7 more (apparently apparent when you choose in store pickup the tax amount is based on where that store was located) and I had to wait a little bit but I got it! Now to drive home and get this baby pumping!
820efd795bad2ae329cae5ffcd886de3.jpg

From my smokin' hot Note 4

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I'm hoping to get mine next week but can anyone tell me if I'll get WhatsApp notifications on the Gear S? I'm not all that familiar with Tizen yet

sent from my Galaxy s5

aitt

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm hoping to get mine next week but can anyone tell me if I'll get WhatsApp notifications on the Gear S? I'm not all that familiar with Tizen yet

sent from my Galaxy s5

Yes. You set up to get whatever notification you. Responding is another question

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Ahh thanks. I'm guessing there's no actual Tizen app for it yet then so you have to reply via the phone? I can live with that.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
If the watch is connected to the phone can I make calls with the watch without having any plan for the watch? Anyone know?
Yes, there three different connection modes for the watch:
1. BT connection
2. Remote connection when you can't connect to the phone via BT. The Gear S will try to connect via wifi or cell network.
3. Gear only. When it is not possible to connect to the phone in any of above mode.

When you are in BT connection, you can make/receive phone calls and SMSs via the phone itself. The watch's mobile connection or number is never used.

When you are in other two modes, you will rely on watch's own cell radio for phone calls and SMS. Hence a plan is required. But if you don't care about phone calls or SMS, you don't have to use mobile radio. You can still use the wifi connection to connect to your phone for other watch functions.

When you are in Gear Only mode, apps no longer work on the watch.

I'm on AT&T. I didn't sign up for a plan. I intend to swap the SIM card with my phone (which is currently not a Samsung phone) when needed. Other times, my Gear S will rely on wifi to connect to my old Samsung GS3 that sit at home plugged in without any SIMs for email notifications, calendar and contact syncs.

m3lover1

Trusted Member
May 4, 2010
Visit site
1. BT connection
2. Remote connection when you can't connect to the phone via BT. The Gear S will try to connect via wifi or cell network.
3. Gear only. When it is not possible to connect to the phone in any of above mode.

When you are in BT connection, you can make/receive phone calls and SMSs via the phone itself. The watch's mobile connection or number is never used.

When you are in other two modes, you will rely on watch's own cell radio for phone calls and SMS. Hence a plan is required. But if you don't care about phone calls or SMS, you don't have to use mobile radio. You can still use the wifi connection to connect to your phone for other watch functions.

Thanks you are awesome! Currently debating whether to wait and get tmobile version or att today. I'm not really looking for a smartwatch with plan anyways, just connected to the phone like pebble or moto 360

aitt

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
1. BT connection

I think I'm starting to understand why either the device number or the Gear number appear based on 2 & 3. Thing are starting to make sense now

aitt

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I think I figured this out for my own ignorance

Device number shows for bluetooth connect and remote connect

Gear number shows when Gear alone.

I'm sure most may have known that but I just could not comprehend that for myself until above comment

I'm also suspecting that connected to wifi may be causing issues for the remote connect and fowarding to be wonky. Only a thought but when I turned wifi off and went out of range it connected much quicker and smoother than with wifi on. I'm wonder if wifi interferes with the way the data connects with the phone. Will have to test this theory more tomorrow

xendula

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Not even Tizen apps downloaded directly to the Gear S? I was hoping to be able to leave my phone at home when I go running, and to use GPS and the phone apps to listen to audiobooks and map/track my runs.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Not even Tizen apps downloaded directly to the Gear S? I was hoping to be able to leave my phone at home when I go running, and to use GPS and the phone apps to listen to audiobooks and map/track my runs.

If your Gear S connects to the internet via its own cell radio, you will be in Remote connection mode as long as your phone at home still connects to the internet. Gear Only mode means either your watch or your phone no longer connects to the internet. I have not tested what apps can work but the above limitations are from reading the manual.

tlaukkanen

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
Is Nike+ available already or is it preinstalled in your Gear S? Do you get continuous heart rate monitoring in your workouts? Gear Fit's heart rate monitor was a flop on this area.

Michael Maloney1

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
i got it friday finally for verizon after they ficed their network issue.
this should be the pnly watch able to be called a smartwatch. this is awesome. i had a moto 360 and returned it after 2 days. it looked beautiful but basically was an extension for notifacations. it was nice but the Gear s is light years ahead of the lg g watch or 360 or android wear. this is a smartwatch.

it is awesome, love going to the gym and leaving my note 4 at home becasue it large on my arm band. connect my bluetooth headphones and listend to music. making calls. beaticful screen. touch sensitivty it awesome. a really smooth watch.

brandonh1

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Is Nike+ available already or is it preinstalled in your Gear S? Do you get continuous heart rate monitoring in your workouts? Gear Fit's heart rate monitor was a flop on this area.
You have to download it. First setup requires the app on the phone too. After that stand alone mode works.

Sorry not sure on the heart rate. May make it out for a run today. Will let you know.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimberly Ryan