aitt

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I use sleep mode for S Health last night Do Not Disturb Mode on woke up at 96%

Posted via the Android Central App

Mom2Ninjas

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I have had wakeup gesture on the whole time. The first day after a full charge I got 32 hours. When I started working out and forwarding calls I got 11.

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
It seems to me the battery life on this watch can be better, but it is to be expected considering how much it can do. From 7a-12p today, my watch was tethered to my phone via BT and wifi. I did about 15 texts via SVoice, replied to 3 emails, and made 5 calls averaging 3-7 mins per call. By 12p, battery usage was already down to 35%! I expected 60%, oh well. From 12p-2p, I was on the tennis court, turned off my phone, and activated call forwarding to watch. Here's the good news: during my 20 min drive to the courts, the battery went from 35% to almost 100% while being charged in the car!!! I guess when folks plan to do more than moderate use, expect to charge it at least once a day, so keep a charger in your car or office.

Active55

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
Anyone try battery life in standalone?

100% standalone I got ~40 hours (1 1/2 - 2 days) on the first phone battery charge in a real world test, then snapped the backup on for a 50% charge and still testing as I write this. More in "My Standalone Experience" thread.

Here’s a quick summary at this point:
1) The Gear S will warn you at 15% battery charge that it is getting low.
2) It will warn you again at 5% battery charge that it is critically low and you need to charge it now.
3) At 1% it gives you a final warning that the battery is critically low and you must charge it now to continue using it, then shuts down shortly thereafter.
4) The phone battery itself lasted ~40 hours in "my" real world use test (of course, your mileage may vary).
5) The quick charge battery backup takes ~1 hour to charge the phone battery and should remain off during that time.
6) The backup battery provides a 50% charge transfer to the phone battery.

Hoping for another 15-20 hours to the next charge. We will see...

Last edited:

Mom2Ninjas

May 25, 2010
Visit site
100% standalone I got ~40 hours (1 1/2 - 2 days) on the first phone battery charge in a real world test, then snapped the backup on for a 50% charge and still testing as I write this. More in "My Standalone Experience" thread.

Here’s a quick summary at this point:
1) The Gear S will warn you at 15% battery charge that it is getting low.
2) It will warn you again at 5% battery charge that it is critically low and you need to charge it now.
3) At 1% it gives you a final warning that the battery is critically low and you must charge it now to continue using it, then shuts down shortly thereafter.
4) The phone battery itself lasted ~40 hours in "my" real word use test (of course, your mileage may vary).
5) The quick charge battery backup takes ~1 hour to charge the phone battery and should remain off during that time.
6) The backup battery provides a 50% charge transfer to the phone battery.

Hoping for another 15-20 hours to the next charge. We will see...
What does your real world test consist of?

Active55

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
What does your real world test consist of?

I use the Gear S as its’ own standalone phone with SIM card: Not paired to a V4.3 Android phone at all, WiFi=off, BT=on, Volume=high, Automatic=on, GPS=on(1st day), GPS=off(2nd day), BT=paired to car when driving. Normal use for “me” is talk and text only. Most calls are made in the car, but not all. Texting was using keyboard, not S-Voice. I spent a lot of time playing with the phone screens to learn the OS during this time as well.

If it can get through each waking day I’ll be happy. Don’t mind charging it each night myself, but it looks like my type of use can get two days out of it; especially with the extra battery pack. A car charger will probably be worth it too.

It appears the phone loses about +/- 1% per hour overnight just sitting. First night was without “Do Not Disturb” on and second night with it on. I didn’t see any noticeable change between the two nights on the slow drain.

Clearly how often and what you do on this phone will have a great impact on the battery life you get.

Last edited:

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
There are two different type of battery consumption pattern:
1. When tethered to your Samsung phone via BT. In this mode, cell radio and wifi are turned off and the battery consumption appears to be better unless your phone have problem with the BT 4.0 LE connection. IIRC, if you set mobile data always on, it may still have cell radio on.
2. When you no longer connected via BT. In this case, your cell radio and wifi will both be on. If wifi is on and connected, it will turn off mobile data but your watch will still connect to cell tower for phone calls and SMS to the watch's number. In this mode, remote connected or not, the battery consumption is much higher. I can literally watch the battery meter drop.
So, make sure you listed how much time your watch is on each mode when comparing battery life.

Yesterday, I have the about 3 hours in remote connected mode and rest is BT tethered. My battery life is about 12 hours before it dropped to 6%.

Today, I'm going to turn off the motion gesture for watch face and see if there is any difference. So far, it seems fair better while remain BT tethered.

terrain

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
Yeah - unlike other wearables this one is nearly impossible to guage battery life due to all of the permutations (wifi, bt, 3G, standby, on, auto....) list goes on and on. As a runner I never anticipated being able to use the S.... I rely too much on cadence, oscillation and GCT to not cary my Fenix 2 or 920XT. On my 8 mile run yesterday I did try to stream via 3G and my battery was on life support after an hour. IMO music streaming is a killer App but not yet 'real' until battery technology improves.

Mom2Ninja's - What App did you get HRM connected to?

Gsxr151

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
The other day I went to the gym for about 2 hours. When I left my Gear S was about 60-70% full. When I arrived back home it was off and dead!!!

I brought my phone with me to the gym and left it in the car, so obviously my gear hooked up to the network while I was gone.

That's not good if every time I leave my gear at home it dies.

Anyone else experience this?

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
The other day I went to the gym for about 2 hours. When I left my Gear S was about 60-70% full. When I arrived back home it was off and dead!!!

I brought my phone with me to the gym and left it in the car, so obviously my gear hooked up to the network while I was gone.

That's not good if every time I leave my gear at home it dies.

Anyone else experience this?

That's pretty bad if it was at home not even getting used. I was hoping to use it for GPS tracking etc remotely connected to my phone (left in the car or home) for even longer than 2 hrs. This is worrying

sent from my Galaxy s5

Mom2Ninjas

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Yeah - unlike other wearables this one is nearly impossible to guage battery life due to all of the permutations (wifi, bt, 3G, standby, on, auto....) list goes on and on. As a runner I never anticipated being able to use the S.... I rely too much on cadence, oscillation and GCT to not cary my Fenix 2 or 920XT. On my 8 mile run yesterday I did try to stream via 3G and my battery was on life support after an hour. IMO music streaming is a killer App but not yet 'real' until battery technology improves.

Mom2Ninja's - What App did you get HRM connected to?

S health obviously uses it and I could have sworn Nike+ was flashing my heart rate while I tried it today, but like s health.... if it did none of the heart rate data transfered to the phone app.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
So far, from 6:30am to 1:30pm, BT connected = 10% of battery usage.
Went out for a drive for 1-hour, mobile network remote connected = 10% of battery usage.