From Gear 2 or original Galaxy Gear to Gear S, worth it?

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Really an upgrade even without the camera and video feature? Or the curve screen and standalone feature made the difference for you?

jspring86

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
I'd still like to have the camera, but I think the Gear S is still an upgrade over the Gear 2, and I've had both. I might even keep my Gear 2 awhile in case I want the camera.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
I'd still like to have the camera, but I think the Gear S is still an upgrade over the Gear 2, and I've had both. I might even keep my Gear 2 awhile in case I want the camera.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Good idea, I have the Gear 2 also. I am wondering if you can pair both watches with your smartphone, but use them interchangeably w/o the need to do the pairing each time. Plus, I also have my BT headset paired 24/7.

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I saw the Galax Gear S at an AT&T store about 3-4 weeks ago. The display is really big. I found the screen awkward to scroll through because of the curved glass. Decided against the upgrade from the GG 2 and opted for the Moto 360 instead. The Moto 360 battery lasts about a day at the most. The watch I think looks better.

terrain

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
Goto a store and play with one.. really only way to decide for your self. IMO - after having the S for a few hours and owning the Gear 2 --- everything that was broken on the 2 is still broken on the S. Biggie is the App's or lack of apps that I counted on using (Running +++). The speaker is quite a bit better (Louder) than on the 2 if that matters to you.

sux2bu

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I bought one just to play with it and see if I liked it I previously had the Gear and Gear 2. I actually got rid of the Gear 2 and went back to the OG Gear. The 2 wasn't a big enough difference from the 1 and after I updated the Gear to Tizen, returning the 2 was a no brainer.

Now, on to the Gear S. It seems huge at first but you get used to it pretty quick. It also feels lighter than its predecessors. I don't need the stand alone feature of the watch since I always have my phone on me and that made me think this watch might be a waste. But I found some things I really like about the watch and it's gonna be a keeper.
Battery life is great, I've been using it all day and it's only at about 50%. My other Gears barely lasted a full day, sometimes only until I got home from work and a couple of times they died while I was still at work. The notification counter on the main watch face is something the original Gear should have had. I hated missing the vibration, missing notifications and not realizing until I swiped over to see my notifications. Having the number of notifications on the watch face let's you know every time you look at that you have pending notifications.
Scrolling through the curved screen does feel weird at first but you also get used to that after a while. The audio from phone calls is soooo much better on this watch. I don't have to hold my wrist up to my ear to be able to hear the person I'm talking to. The long screen let's you read so much more of the emails and messages.
Even though I probably won't use it much having the Internet on a watch is super cool. Only thing I don't like so far is that there aren't that many apps that I like so far, but it's only been out two days so I'm hoping that changes soon.

ougum1

Oct 26, 2014
Visit site
The vibration is also stronger than the gear live, moto 360, gear 2 neo and the gear 2. I've tried them all. The gear s is the keeper.

Gsxr151

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
I love it, period. For me, there is no watch on the market that can compete. I don't have to go through the list of features because everyone here should know them. The bottom line is do you want standalone mode? If not, then it's all about the bigger screen, more robust features and better speakerphone. (meaning you must want those features)

Again, if you want a standalone watch then there is no question you want the Gear S because you have no other option.

Here's another way of looking at it. How "into" smartwatches are you? Do you love your smartwatch? Are you proud to show it off? What's the importance of the extra tech on your wrist? Is it a very important piece of wearable for you every day? Do YOU think it looks good on your wrist? Or do you just throw it on for a little convenience but it's kind of an afterthought... If you answer positively to the first 5 questions, you are probably a good candidate for the Gear S.

Lastly, the Gear 2 is a rockin' piece of tech. I found that I used it all the time - so for me I wanted the latest and greatest, and that's the Gear S.

Dante314

Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
I love it, period. For me, there is no watch on the market that can compete. I don't have to go through the list of features because everyone here should know them, and we know it's the only stand alone watch on the market right now. The very bottom line to me is do you want standalone mode. If not, then it's all about the bigger screen, more robust features and better speakerphone.

Again, if you want a standalone watch then there is no question you want the Gear S because you have no other option.

Here's another way of looking at it. How "into" smartwatches are you? Do you love your smartwatch? Are you proud to show it off? What's the importance of the extra tech on your wrist? Is it a very important piece of wearable for you every day? Do YOU think it looks good on your wrist? Or do you just throw it on for a little convenience but it's kind of an afterthought... If you answer positively to the first 5 questions, you are probably a good candidate for the Gear S.

I agree with everything said except it being the only stand alone watch. The Omate Tru Smart, Neptune Pine. I guess technically it's the first to go mainstream in the states. I'm still waiting for T-Mobile to get their stuff together. It's the official launch for them and I still can't order via their website.

Posted via the Android Central App

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
I agree with everything said except it being the only stand alone watch. The Omate Tru Smart, Neptune Pine. I guess technically it's the first to go mainstream in the states. I'm still waiting for T-Mobile to get their stuff together. It's the official launch for them and I still can't order via their website.

Posted via the Android Central App
That is true of the others, although all of them are too bulky and doesn't have a curve screen. I will stop by the TMobile store in the next hour. :)

joacosegovia

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
I've got the Pebble SmartWatch, but I think I'm gonna change it next year for something with a color touchscreen at least, so I have a question: is it able to use the Gear S with a phone? (Hence, not using the standalone feature) because y have the Galaxy S4 and I'm not even thinking of getting a second data plan...

sux2bu

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I've got the Pebble SmartWatch, but I think I'm gonna change it next year for something with a color touchscreen at least, so I have a question: is it able to use the Gear S with a phone? (Hence, not using the standalone feature) because y have the Galaxy S4 and I'm not even thinking of getting a second data plan...

Yup, I'm using mine with BT only. No extra data plan. Also, if you don't do the data plan you can use any carrier watch. You don't have to stick with the one for your carrier and you can buy the cheapest one.

daddyd302

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Yup, I'm using mine with BT only. No extra data plan. Also, if you don't do the data plan you can use any carrier watch. You don't have to stick with the one for your carrier and you can buy the cheapest one.

I'm doing the same thing atm. I currently have the AT&T model but I might just go get the T-Mobile version since it'll just cost me $5 a month.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon