is there a setting to see full watch face with turn of the wrist like original gear?

karsdroid

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
so i find the watch part of the watch disappointing if i can't move my wrist and have the screen come on like the original gear.....if i wanted just a black background with white numbers i would choose that as a watch face. the watch faces you can set don't make sense to me if i only see them when i push the button. am i missing a way to "in effect" bypass the "lock screen" (black screen with white numbers that pops up when i move the gear)? this may indeed be a deal breaker for me....

jspring86

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
It is called 'Motion' and is on by default. You might accidentally disabled it.

I think the OP is referring to the fact that when you raise your wrist you only see a black and white clock on the Gear S:

2014-11-09 13.49.00.jpg

He wants to see his actual watch face when he flicks up his wrist like this:

2014-11-09 13.49.13.jpg

I also cannot seem to figure out how to make that happen. Turning motion on just gives you the black and white clock and not the watch face you actually selected.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I see. It's probably a power saving feature. Turn on full power often by the motion gesture will shorten the battery life significantly. I found touch the screen will make it turn into full watch face. I personally always turn it off to save as much better as possible.

ougum1

Oct 26, 2014
Visit site
I see. It's probably a power saving feature. Turn on full power often by the motion gesture will shorten the battery life significantly. I found touch the screen will make it turn into full watch face. I personally always turn it off to save as much better as possible.

That's strange. I keep "wake up gesture" off to conserve battery too, but when I turn it on and flick my wrist, I get my full watch face every time.

koalabear

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
What you see when you raise your hand is totally dependent on which watch face your choose. If you use the stock blue face when you raise your wrist you'll get the background dimmed but hands bright. Touch the screen and the whole thing is bright. Other faces (that use digital numbers) will just light up the time when you raise your wrist and if you touch the screen you get the full face (like the one with weather, notifictions etc) Great trick to save power!

karsdroid

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
What you see when you raise your hand is totally dependent on which watch face your choose. If you use the stock blue face when you raise your wrist you'll get the background dimmed but hands bright. Touch the screen and the whole thing is bright. Other faces (that use digital numbers) will just light up the time when you raise your wrist and if you touch the screen you get the full face (like the one with weather, notifictions etc) Great trick to save power!

yes, exactly.....i'm not a fan of the blue stock face and it is the only one that comes on with a flick of the wrist, though dim. i don't really care about power saving i just want to see the watch face when i move my wrist, like my original gear. it should be an option. there is the watch always on option, but that is a gratuitous waste of battery power... i love the screen, if the watch face doesn't come on when i flick my wrist, just the black and white icons, the screen is being wasted. i'm disappointed by a few things on the s.....

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Any of the stock watch face supports this feature.
The dimness for power saving is probably important enough for Samsung to enforce as the AMOLED screen is very power hungry. If not implemented this way, most ppl will have watch face come on full blast many many times a day and the battery will probably dead by noon :)

karsdroid

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Any of the stock watch face supports this feature.
The dimness for power saving is probably important enough for Samsung to enforce as the AMOLED screen is very power hungry. If not implemented this way, most ppl will have watch face come on full blast many many times a day and the battery will probably dead by noon :)

no, most of the stock just show white numbers on a black background.....once again, should be a choice i can make. as much as i like the screen the few irritating things i've run into are going to send me back to verizon to return it.

jspring86

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm sure it is for saving battery, its not a deal-breaker for me, but it would be nice to give people the option to see the watch face when they flick up their wrist. It would definitely get worse battery life, but probably no worse than Android Wear. Hopefully anyone buying the watch would be smart enough to not have incredibly active and colorful screens on full brightness all day, maybe that is Samsung's worry though.

Active55

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
My full watch face comes on with the flick of the wrist in a little dimmer than full on, but it's all there; the nice looking blue one with 12 and 6, plus hash marks. I have the brightness setting at "automatic." Don't know if there are others setting yet...

karsdroid

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
My full watch face comes on with the flick of the wrist in a little dimmer than full on, but it's all there; the nice looking blue one with 12 and 6, plus hash marks. I have the brightness setting at "automatic." Don't know if there are others setting yet...

that's the only one that will do that and i'm not a fan of it....too messy. i don't want to be locked into one watch face

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure it is for saving battery, its not a deal-breaker for me, but it would be nice to give people the option to see the watch face when they flick up their wrist. It would definitely get worse battery life, but probably no worse than Android Wear. Hopefully anyone buying the watch would be smart enough to not have incredibly active and colorful screens on full brightness all day, maybe that is Samsung's worry though.

No Android wear has an AMOLED screen this large. Larger screens consumes more power. The thing with gesture is that many times, you don't mean to take a look at the watch when you swing your arms but the watch can often mistake your motion. I can understand why Samsung did that. And certainly not a deal breaker for me.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
no, most of the stock just show white numbers on a black background.....once again, should be a choice i can make. as much as i like the screen the few irritating things i've run into are going to send me back to verizon to return it.

If you read the instructions on Power Save mode in the settings, it seems that Samsung is indicating that using gray-scale home screen saves power. So this motion gesture watch face follow the same rule: gray-scale watch face only, no colors. Same for all stock watch faces.

jspring86

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
While it is true that no Android Wear watch has this big a screen, I still get much better battery life on the S than on my 360 so fa. I imagine even if the screen were fully on when you flick up your wrist, I could still get a day out of this watch. No way to know without the option though. Either way, I'm pretty happy so far

karsdroid

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
If you read the instructions on Power Save mode in the settings, it seems that Samsung is indicating that using gray-scale home screen saves power. So this motion gesture watch face follow the same rule: gray-scale watch face only, no colors. Same for all stock watch faces.

i totally get why theyve done it, its just after having my full watch face on my original gear with a flick of my wrist i dont want to take a step backwards.... :)

Active55

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
i totally get why theyve done it, its just after having my full watch face on my original gear with a flick of my wrist i dont want to take a step backwards.... :)

I bet additional watch faces will be available soon. Maybe something to your liking in the near future??? My guess is a third party is going to make something awesome that will blow peoples minds on this great screen in time...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34