Camera accessory for Gear S

dprids

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
The camera function is an important function of the device that was missed. As a "stand-alone" device, leaving the camera out is a major step back when considering features. The camera is an essential function of a phone, I use it to take snaps of documents on a daily basis. One of the must have core features in a smart watch is a camera. Does any one know of an accessory camera that can clip to your shirt pocket and communicates with phone through bluetooth?

dprids

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
CAMERA!!

Unfortunately, after much internal debate (I even ordered then canceled), I have decided not to get the watch. I am as early adopter as you get. Had palm pre day#1, Evo3d day#1, Galaxy S4/S5 day #1, even the developer kit for oculus rift. But, I have to draw the line, having no camera is a huge step back for a standalone device. As a physician/surgeon, taking pictures in the operating room of pathology or scanning documents with a quick snap shot is one of my most useful tools. And if I need to bring phone for that function, the watch is simply not stand-alone. I can justify many drawbacks, like battery life, size, speed, advanced phone-like functions because it is a watch, not a phone. But... cannot go without camera. Really bummed, was looking forward to getting this smartwatch.

Hopefully be back someday. Samsung definitely has the most experience with smart watches. Looking at trends, it's only a matter of time before someone hits the nail on the head with regard to the tech/battery/functions.

dprids

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
CAMERA!!

Unfortunately, after much internal debate (I even ordered then canceled), I have decided not to get the watch. I am as early adopter as you get. Had palm pre day#1, Evo3d day#1, Galaxy S4/S5 day #1, even the developer kit for oculus rift. But, I have to draw the line, having no camera is a huge step back for a standalone device. As a physician/surgeon, taking pictures in the operating room of pathology or scanning documents with a quick snap shot is one of my most useful tools. And if I need to bring phone for that function, the watch is simply not stand-alone. I can justify many drawbacks, like battery life, size, speed, advanced phone-like functions because it is a watch, not a phone. But... cannot go without camera. Really bummed, was looking forward to getting this smartwatch.

Hopefully be back someday. Samsung definitely has the most experience with smart watches. Looking at trends, it's only a matter of time before someone hits the nail on the head with regard to the tech/battery/functions.

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
CAMERA!!

Gear 2 has your name on it, they even have refurbished ones too. In the meantime my Nikon DSLR, Note 4, and Tab Pro 8.4 have more than enough camera for me and I am sure about 98% of Gear S owners/users feel the same way.

Mom2Ninjas

May 25, 2010
Visit site
CAMERA!!

I don't want my doctor taking pictures while I'm in surgery.

rfs830

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Well.. hippa says you can't take any pics with your cell phone in an operating room. So ya... that's not happening.

sux2bu

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
You want an accessory for your accessory?

I agree that it sucks the camera is gone, but it wasn't a deal breaker for me. If you really need a camera you still have the OG Gear or Gear 2.

dprids

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
Don't want to get off topic, but there are no specific HIPPA policies about taking pictures in the operating room for educational purposes. In fact, most hospitals "consent to treatment" include a section about medical photography. These are not pictures to "show your buddy", but photographs of tumors we take out of people. We then present these cases at a multidisciplinary clinic or at conferences to get multiple opinions on how to treat the patient. Contrary to popular belief, doctors are here to help. Please understand the purpose of the photos, not the sensationalism and hypersensitivity of our culture.

Mahmoud52

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
I work in the medical community and doctors may take pics of injures due to a fall before doctor treating the patient and for educational purposes your taking pics of a certain area of the body your treating I'm against all selfies so yeah as long as it's not joan rivers.

Posted via the Android Central App

rfs830

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I also work at a hospital but doctors never take educational pics with their own cell phones. You mentioned taking pictures in the operating room of pathology or scanning documents. That is not allowed here. You use hospital equipment to do that. Now we all understand that in an emergency situations, cell phone can come in handy when you need to take a picture.

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
Don't want to get off topic, but there are no specific HIPPA policies about taking pictures in the operating room for educational purposes. In fact, most hospitals "consent to treatment" include a section about medical photography. These are not pictures to "show your buddy", but photographs of tumors we take out of people. We then present these cases at a multidisciplinary clinic or at conferences to get multiple opinions on how to treat the patient. Contrary to popular belief, doctors are here to help. Please understand the purpose of the photos, not the sensationalism and hypersensitivity of our culture.

On the contrary, and I am not a professional like you, but I do have COMMON SENSE!! ;)
IMO, and correct me if I am wrong, but taking PERSONAL pictures in a hospital procedure is or should be a no no!! If you use your watch or phone, that is PERSONAL EQUIPMENT!!
I live in the state of Maryland. Not too long ago, one of the greatest hospitals in the country(Johns Hopkins) quickly awarded an 190 million dollar settlement because one of their doctors was taking UNAUTHORIZED pictures of his patients. My wife was one of those patients too.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/22/us/johns-hopkins-settlement-190-million.html?_r=0

Also, the reason I state UNAUTHORIZED even though I am a layman and not a professional, I am quite sure large institutions if they did AUTHORIZED photos, it would not be with a $400 PERSONAL PIECE OF EQUIPMENT. If it was AUTHORIZED again, then it would be done with high dollar equipment of the institution and full knowledge of this being relayed to the patient.

Just my two cents!! :cool:

angamb

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
Getting back on topic, I believe that Samsung wanted to keep something back for the Gear S 2 or whatever it might be called.

This 'taking away" and "giving back later" tactic is a good way to keep us upgrading.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
Getting back on topic, I believe that Samsung wanted to keep something back for the Gear S 2 or whatever it might be called.

This 'taking away" and "giving back later" tactic is a good way to keep us upgrading.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Well, they got the old man, I am a Samsung Fanboy, the whole nine yards.;) I find anything that makes me happy, and I not chugging out super big bucks, sheesh, they got me!! :D

When the Gear S2 comes out, I am on it like hot on rice.. ;)

When the Note 5 comes out, I am on that too like hot on rice too. Don't even have to see the specs, just as long as it is a upgrade.. They got ma!!!!! :D

Plus, I am too dam old to play any waiting games!! Like Wentworth Says, "It is my money and I want my fun now!"... :D :D

dprids

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
I appreciate all the thought and attention to caveats of the legal attributes of medical photography in the technological age! You all are really thinking through it, referencing HIPPA and legal precedents. I understand the concern people have: you do not want your privacy violated. There is still concern, even knowing the purpose of the photography is not malicious. Taking pictures for the wrong purpose is wrong. period. A person that takes a picture of a tattoo, or of something non-medical related is fired on the spot. It is an in-excusable offence. I am not advocating that.

I actually work with developing medical policy regarding technology, and have given presentations on this topic. This issue has been brought up before. The personal devices we use are managed with security policies through the IT department that are sufficient for HIPPA standards. The IT department actually has control of the phone if it gets lost or stolen. And there are restrictions on the types and strengths of passwords over and above the standard security of a mobile device. Our mobile devices satisfy the HIPPA standard. I have argued and discussed all of your concerns with medical professionals and administration. To discuss the situation further, on a medical-legal level, one needs to address issues of culpability and/or negligence which complicate the matter.

On a more personal note, there needs to be a certain level of trust in the patient-doctor relationship. If you come to see a physician, you should trust that he/she is doing the best thing for you, and will not violate that trust. Of course there are exceptions to this rule, and bad people do bad things. Our culture sensationalizes it and turns the situation into a "witch hunt". But for each bad interaction, there is 100 good interactions. Ultimately, if you break this situation down to the core issues: I am protected by the patient consent paperwork, ethical basis for medical photography, and HIPPA level security enforced by the IT department. I appreciate all of your thoughts and comments, I have not tread through these choices without consideration and understand the implications.

Cant wait for Samsung Gear 2 with camera!

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch