Gear S: Anyone pair with Samsung KitKat Phablet 10.1/12.2?

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
The definition of phone is related to the UI. Tablet UI is very different than phone UI even though they are running the same Android version.

I guess if you can install Gear Manager on it, you may try.

Active55

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
The definition of phone is related to the UI. Tablet UI is very different than phone UI even though they are running the same Android version.

I guess if you can install Gear Manager on it, you may try.

I was hoping someone has or will try that. The 12.2 Note phablet would make a nice pairing with the Gear S and meet most of my total computing needs between the two (otherwise I'm considering the Samsung Galaxy S5 K Zoom to pair with).

Active55

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
I have the galaxy note 12.2 lte verizon and I installed gear manager and it wouldn't pair

Sent from my SM-N910V

My guess is that is because you only have a data 12.2 (USA) and not a factory unlocked phablet model with phone internals. Can you make phone calls from your 12.2 or just surf the net?

Active55

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
Considering the Samsung Galaxy Note Pro full factory unlocked 12.2 PHABLET models P901 (3G) or P905 (LTE) and would like a definitive answer on its' proper pairing and remote connectivity ability before putting out that kind of $$$.

Also, will the P905 LTE model with 2100 fequency be enough to utilize LTE in the USA on AT&T?

Thinking of the Gear S and Note Pro 12.2 combo as a complete package for computing, and both home phone & cell phone needs. Note Pro sits at home (most of the time), while the Gear S travels with me.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
You are right. It is primary 700MHz, Verizon uses 800MHz. 1700 and 1900 are the secondary bands IIRC. Never heard of 2100 but with all the shuffling with T-Mobile and other carriers, 2100 is probably in the picture as well.

EDIT: from what I found so far, AT&T uses 700, 850, 1900, 1700/2100 for LTE. The 2100 must be combined with 1700 just like T-Mobile AWS 3G usage (one for download, one for upload).

Last edited:

Active55

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
It looks like the P901 & P905 will work in the USA, but only on the 3G GSM networks.

I had a N8000 10.1 when it came out, but the screen was too small to meet my needs (old man eyes). The 12.2 combined with its' factory Samsung keyboard looks interesting and may do the trick for me; laptop/tablet/phone all in one, plus pairing with Gear S because of KitKat OS (I hope?).

If anyone can confirm the Gear S fully functions with the P901/P905 please let me know. Thanks.

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
I am not sure if I can contribute to the discussion, but on a separate thread I was asking about a similar phone/tablet, the Tab 4 7.0 SN-T235Y, an international unlock that can make calls equivalent to 3g/4g on Tmobile and AT&T. However, during the scan pairing process of the Gear S, it didn't pick up, although my Gear 2 was fine. Yes, I was able to get the latest version of the Gear Manager. I wonder if Samsung will update their list of compatible devices with the Gear S as they did for the Galaxy Gear and Gear 2.

Posted via the Android Central App

Active55

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
I am not sure if I can contribute to the discussion, but on a separate thread I was asking about a similar phone/tablet, the Tab 4 7.0 SN-T235Y, an international unlock that can make calls equivalent to 3g/4g on Tmobile and AT&T. However, during the scan pairing process of the Gear S, it didn't pick up, although my Gear 2 was fine. Yes, I was able to get the latest version of the Gear Manager. I wonder if Samsung will update their list of compatible devices with the Gear S as they did for the Galaxy Gear and Gear 2.

Posted via the Android Central App

Does your tablet have the correct Android version V4? I think what my question boils down to is if the Samsung Gear S works on ANY phone that has the proper Android V4+ software?

I'm currently looking at the slick small (by today's standards) Sony Xperia Z3 Compact. It has the proper Android KitKat software just like the Phablets mention here, but no one can tell me if it will remote connect or not...

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
It will have to be Samsung products. Other brands are not supported (there is no way to support Samsung Account without a Samsung product and no way to join Samsung app store either). Although you can hack the software (Samsung Gear Manager) to make it work but it won't work completely. A lot features are limited to Samsung phones running Samsung firmware only.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeneral2