How to receive and reply text with your phone number on your Gear?

jlczl

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Remote Connect. None of the reps I've spoken to mentioned this and it seems to be a killer app. If I leave my phone at home during a run I will receive calls and texts on my gear S even though my phone is sitting on my desk at home? Plus I can respond to text messages that I receive and they'll be from my phone number? That is cool. I thought the phone had to be Bluetooth connected. I didn't want to mess with yet another phone number and this makes it seem like I don't have to!

Posted via the Android Central App

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Remote Connect. None of the reps I've spoken to mentioned this and it seems to be a killer app. If I leave my phone at home during a run I will receive calls and texts on my gear S even though my phone is sitting on my desk at home? Plus I can respond to text messages that I receive and they'll be from my phone number? That is cool. I thought the phone had to be Bluetooth connected. I didn't want to mess with yet another phone number and this makes it seem like I don't have to!

Yes, I have been on remote connect all day, but I can't seem to send NEW outgoing texts with my phone number from Gear, it shows my Gear number instead. Of course with replying texts, it shows my phone number, which is good.

jeffruby

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Wow, reading this thread and admittedly it has taken me days to figure this watch out.

To confuse the situation more, my watch (Verizon) has a setting for gear network auto/on/off and a different checkbox for mobile network. For sure the checkbox must be on for me to use remote access (ie phone at home, me at gym). But.... With gear network on (not auto) I can be on Bluetooth linked and get (on watch) texts from both phone and watch and calls from both! I bet if I put gear network to auto, would disable watch from getting its own text or call while on bt (or wifi).

I wonder how much battery used with gear net on and mobile checkbox off..?

aitt

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Wow, reading this thread and admittedly it has taken me days to figure this watch out.

To confuse the situation more, my watch (Verizon) has a setting for gear network auto/on/off and a different checkbox for mobile network. For sure the checkbox must be on for me to use remote access (ie phone at home, me at gym). But.... With gear network on (not auto) I can be on Bluetooth linked and get (on watch) texts from both phone and watch and calls from both! I bet if I put gear network to auto, would disable watch from getting its own text or call while on bt (or wifi).

I wonder how much battery used with gear net on and mobile checkbox off..?

Yes changing to auto will disable the radios on the gear.

jlczl

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Google Voice has made the S viable for me. Since I added my Gear number to my Google Voice account I receive calls and texts to my regular number (GV) regardless of my connection status to the phone. I can be Bluetooth connected, remotely connected, or not connected at all! I can also send texts and make calls from my watch using my main number (GV) regardless of connected state. I can do this because as a long time user of GV I've added Google numbers for most of my frequent contacts (when they've texted me in the past, a Google number has been automatically generated and I've recorded it as their Google number). By calling and texting them to that number when calling them from my watch, my phone number they know me by (GV) shows on their caller ID.

TexasBrandi

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Here's the deal. Your Gear S has three option for Mobile Data.

Auto (default)
Always on
Always off

Auto turns off the mobile data and will turn on when not connected to device. In this mode when you are connected to the device it turns off the mobile data and all calls made to the Gear number will be forwarded to voice mail. You will not receive any text until the mobile data is activated when you are disconnected from your device.

Always on you will receive calls and text from both your Gear S and device number even if connected to the device. This will consume more battery as the radios are always on.

Always off speaks for itself.

Page 75 of the manual

Customise settings to control networks. On the Settings screen, tap Connections → Mobile networks.

•Use mobile networks:

-Auto on/off: Set the Gear to automatically connect to or disconnect from the mobile network depending on the Gear’s connection to the mobile device via Bluetooth.

•When the Gear is connected to the mobile device via Bluetooth, the Gear’s mobile network is turned off to save battery power. Then, you cannot receive messages and calls made to the Gear’s phone number.

•The Gear’s mobile network is automatically turned on after a moment when no Bluetooth connection is detected. Then, you can receive messages and calls made to the Gear’s phone number.

–Always on: Set the Gear to connect to the mobile network. With this option enabled, you can receive incoming calls and messages to the Gear and mobile devices’ phone numbers. This option increases battery consumption.

–Always off: Set the Gear not to connect to the mobile network. When this option is enabled, you cannot receive incoming calls and messages to the Gear’s phone number. If the Gear is connected to the mobile device via Bluetooth, you can receive incoming calls or notifications from the mobile device.

Great explanation! The only thing that I'm still not sure about is when you are connected remotely to the provider network -no wifi (on auto), does recieving incoming e-mail notifications or streaming milk music on the gear use the gear's data plan? I'm thinking it must. It would be nice if it used only the phone plan since sprint only offers 100 mb for the gear (unless you are in a share plan, which i am not)

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Each cell radio is associated with its own account/plan. You can't leach off the phone plan unless you are BT connected.

pdxrealtor

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
I've got everything running well withe one exception I can't seem to get right.

Phone calls. I would like my device calls to forward to my gear s ONLY when the connection is not BT, same as messages and emails.

Right now all I can seem to configure is the option to forward unanswered calls on my device to my gear s. However, there doesn't seem to be a way to differentiate between 'bluetooth connection' and 'remote connection'. I have no desire to have my calls ring on my phone and my watch, and then after that call is unanswered immediately have my watch ring again because the call has been forwarded from device that is sitting right next to me.

Hopefully I'm missing something.??...

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like you are on a CDMA carrier. With GSM carrier, the call won't be forwarded unless you are remotely connected. With CDMA carrier, you have no choice because the network is too dumb.

pdxrealtor

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Is there a way to change the Gear S voicemail over to Youmail, as I did with my cell phone? At least then I could manually change to forward from phone to gear on no answer, and be prepared with the same voicemail message on my watch as is on my phone.

The only time I really see myself using this feature is jogging or snowboarding, both activities of which I'll leave the phone in the car or at home.