Save big + get 3 months free! Sign up for ExpressVPN today

11-30-2014 08:23 AM
54 123
tools
    OK, so even though I love my 360 I went out and got an S as well. I'm playing with it now. I can't figure out how to delete an email when I receive it on my watch. I only have the option to reply, show on device or dismiss it but it still stays on my phone. On my 360 I can swipe to the right to dismiss or swipe to the left to delete or reply. How do I do this on the S?

Posted via the Android Central App
    11-20-2014 03:20 PM
    You need to go in to the actual email app and you can delete them from there.
    11-20-2014 04:04 PM
    No, that only deletes them off the watch, not phone. You actually has to delete them from the phone on the phone itself.
    11-20-2014 04:25 PM
    OK, not good. The 360 actually allows you to interact with emails much more than the S. I can delete them outright from the 360 but it appears that isn't possible on the S.

I hope I'm wrong but so far that's strike 1.

What about responding to text messages. I received a hangouts message and only had the option to open on the phone or dismiss it. Can I respond to them from my watch? Do I have to switch to the Note 4's messaging app? I'm OK with that but want to make certain I can respond to text messages from the watch if I do.

I really want to like this watch because there's actually a $75 restocking fee at T-Mobile!

11-20-2014 05:16 PM
    BTW, is everyone else seeing an outage on Milk Music? I have yet to see how it works because of it.

Also, if I dismiss a notification on my phone, like a voicemail......it still shows up on my watch until I dismiss it. Why do I have to do it on both?

11-20-2014 05:20 PM
    OK, not good. The 360 actually allows you to interact with emails much more than the S. I can delete them outright from the 360 but it appears that isn't possible on the S.

I hope I'm wrong but so far that's strike 1.

What about responding to text messages. I received a hangouts message and only had the option to open on the phone or dismiss it. Can I respond to them from my watch? Do I have to switch to the Note 4's messaging app? I'm OK with that but want to make certain I can respond to text messages from the watch if I do.

I really want to like this watch because there's actually a $75 restocking fee at T-Mobile!

Until we get a major update like the Galaxy Gear and Gear 2, we can only respond to texts and emails using the stock apps, which have been working great so far. As far as I know, we can't with Hangouts, Gmail, Facebook, Tweeter, etc. In the meantime, some folks have been using Opera Mini as a web browser as a way around it, but will use up our data plan.
    11-20-2014 05:24 PM
    BTW, is everyone else seeing an outage on Milk Music? I have yet to see how it works because of it.

Also, if I dismiss a notification on my phone, like a voicemail......it still shows up on my watch until I dismiss it. Why do I have to do it on both?

There's still alot to improve on clearly. I agree with double work. But in the end I find my S the better of the two (360)

11-20-2014 05:30 PM
    Since i received my Gear S i stopped using my 360 and until I sell it i am using it as an expensive desk clock

11-21-2014 09:10 AM
    Since i received my Gear S i stopped using my 360 and until I sell it i am using it as an expensive desk clock

Very much so. Not sure if selling. It still has a formal style for me

Attached Thumbnails Interested in the Gear S, anyone go from Moto 360 or Gear 2 to the S?-2014-10-27.jpg  
    11-21-2014 09:16 AM

Mine is in my backpack as a backup while I'm using the S.

I miss not being able to fully interact with notifications. I like being able to delete my messages or emails straight from my watch. How do you deal with the need to still delete from your device even though you already dismissed on your watch? Do you not get many notifications?

I also like to reply to posts in other apps like GroupMe or "like" pictures and such from my watch. Fortunately someone helped me find an app called Gear S Notifications on Google Play which allows for replies to Hangouts, Gmail, and notifications from Google Now (I was missing my timely notifications of weather, package deliveries, navigation etc) but it doesn't support too many apps yet.

Also, don't you feel like voice recognition is much smoother and faster on the 360? To respond to a message on the S I have to tap reply, long press the microphone on the keyboard, then tap the mic symbol, then speak to the watch, the recognition takes longer, then tap the send button. On the 360 I just tapped the reply button, spoke (recognition is quick) and the message was off. One click!

I'm still trying to make it work as seamlessly and thoroughly as my 360 because I really want to keep it.

One great thing is that I can respond to calls and messages with my own number even when remotely connected because I'm a GV user. I tried the regular remote connect at first but it takes forever to ring on the watch that way. Using GV, my watch and phone ring simultaneously even when connected remotely.

11-22-2014 10:46 AM
    Very much so. Not sure if selling. It still has a formal style for me

Yeah that is my real struggle with getting the Gear S. I had the original Galaxy Gear and the Gear 2 and did not like the styling. The GG S I feel the same way. Not sure if I want a big thing on my wrist like that. I love the display and making and receiving calls.
    11-22-2014 03:38 PM
    Yeah that is my real struggle with getting the Gear S. I had the original Galaxy Gear and the Gear 2 and did not like the styling. The GG S I feel the same way. Not sure if I want a big thing on my wrist like that. I love the display and making and receiving calls.
    To be honest it's not that more intrusive on my wrist. It takes up a bit more space than my 360 only because it's rectangular. But I like big watches anyways so it doesn't bother me one but. I have Invicta watches that make this look small in comparison

11-23-2014 07:45 AM
    To be honest it's not that more intrusive on my wrist. It takes up a bit more space than my 360 only because it's rectangular. But I like big watches anyways so it doesn't bother me one but. I have Invicta watches that make this look small in comparison

I have been to Best Buy a couple of times to wear it and also look at the Note Edge. I noticed that yesterday, it didn't seem all that big. Maybe I will get it in a month to try. Want to take advantage of the extended period for a holiday return so, I can try and work with it more to see if I want to keep it or my 360. I am also having problems justifying it since my 360 is only a month old.
    11-23-2014 09:57 AM

Just to update you, I fought off the urge and went to Verizon and picked one up. Pretty cool device. I was very bummed when I took my Moto 360 off my wrist. The store manager saw it and told me, "You are going to miss the 360, huh?" I smiled. After using it for about 2 hours, I can tell, that I will probably keep the S. Its a cool Spock/**** Tracy looking watch.
    aitt likes this.
    11-23-2014 09:10 PM
    Just to update you, I fought off the urge and went to Verizon and picked one up. Pretty cool device. I was very bummed when I took my Moto 360 off my wrist. The store manager saw it and told me, "You are going to miss the 360, huh?" I smiled. After using it for about 2 hours, I can tell, that I will probably keep the S. Its a cool Spock/**** Tracy looking watch.
    I must be missing something here. Am I the only 360 user that is frustrated by how limited the S is? Am I doing something wrong?

The 360 interacts completely with my Note 4 while the Gear S is more of a notification window that doesn't interact as well.

11-24-2014 07:24 PM
    OK, so even though I love my 360 I went out and got an S as well. I'm playing with it now. I can't figure out how to delete an email when I receive it on my watch. I only have the option to reply, show on device or dismiss it but it still stays on my phone. On my 360 I can swipe to the right to dismiss or swipe to the left to delete or reply. How do I do this on the S?

With the new update 4.4.4, you can delete emails off the gear but it only takes them off the gear. If you delete them from the phone it will come off both.
    11-24-2014 09:05 PM
    For me, it might be familiarity since I had the Galaxy Gear series before I bought the 360. I got the 360 and grew attached to it but, I am finding the S much more interactive and the battery life was way better. Its not as attractive as the 360 though and that part I will miss.

However, when I took the dogs for a walk this morning, it was nice not to have to bring the phone with me. That part will be nice when I go to the gym as well. Who knows, the jury is still out on this product. Its only the end of day 2. However, I am starting to think of how I will sell the Moto 360 so, in some ways I think the S will stay around even though I will miss the elegance of the 360.
    11-24-2014 09:41 PM
    With the new update 4.4.4, you can delete emails off the gear but it only takes them off the gear. If you delete them from the phone it will come off both.
    This is what I mean exactly. If I delete it using my watch, it's still on my phone. The two devices are not in sync. If I just interact with my watch my phone gets backlogged with notifications I need to delete again and emails I have to delete for a second time. On the 360 whatever you do on it is also reflected on the phone.

11-25-2014 05:58 AM
    For me, it might be familiarity since I had the Galaxy Gear series before I bought the 360. I got the 360 and grew attached to it but, I am finding the S much more interactive and the battery life was way better. Its not as attractive as the 360 though and that part I will miss.

However, when I took the dogs for a walk this morning, it was nice not to have to bring the phone with me. That part will be nice when I go to the gym as well. Who knows, the jury is still out on this product. Its only the end of day 2. However, I am starting to think of how I will sell the Moto 360 so, in some ways I think the S will stay around even though I will miss the elegance of the 360.
    I'm kind of in the opposite situation. I like the look of the Gear S and that's why I'm still attempting to make it work for me eventhough the battery life is better on my 360 and I find the 360 more interactive with my Note (whatever I do on my watch is reflected immediately on my phone).

I love leaving the phone behind for my morning workout too but wow it takes a beating on battery life when used that way. Almost 1% drop per minute.

11-25-2014 06:02 AM
    I'm kind of in the opposite situation. I like the look of the Gear S and that's why I'm still attempting to make it work for me eventhough the battery life is better on my 360 and I find the 360 more interactive with my Note (whatever I do on my watch is reflected immediately on my phone).

I love leaving the phone behind for my morning workout too but wow it takes a beating on battery life when used that way. Almost 1% drop per minute.

Do you have the Mobile Data on Autoswitch? So when you are home it runs on wifi and then when you leave it goes to Mobile data? Do you have call forwarding on at all times? If you turn it off while you are attached to the watch that supposedly saves battery. Last night it was 11:30 and I was at 35-40%. I took it off charge at 7:30 a.m. so that was 16 hours on the battery.

The manager at Verizon, took it with him to Disneyland all day and left his phone at home. He used it all day there with battery to spare. Maybe you got a bum unit? The battery life on my Moto was way worse. I would take it off charge at 6:30 and it was dead by 7:00 pm so, that was about 12.5 hours. By around 6 it would go into power saving mode.

I really do miss the cards and the utilization of Google Now. At first the cards were annoying with the 360 but I grew attached to it.
    11-25-2014 10:05 AM
    Do you have the Mobile Data on Autoswitch? So when you are home it runs on wifi and then when you leave it goes to Mobile data? Do you have call forwarding on at all times? If you turn it off while you are attached to the watch that supposedly saves battery. Last night it was 11:30 and I was at 35-40%. I took it off charge at 7:30 a.m. so that was 16 hours on the battery.

The manager at Verizon, took it with him to Disneyland all day and left his phone at home. He used it all day there with battery to spare. Maybe you got a bum unit? The battery life on my Moto was way worse. I would take it off charge at 6:30 and it was dead by 7:00 pm so, that was about 12.5 hours. By around 6 it would go into power saving mode.

I really do miss the cards and the utilization of Google Now. At first the cards were annoying with the 360 but I grew attached to it.
    Yup, I have Mobile Data on auto switch. I don't have auto call forwarding set up on it because I'm using Google Voice on it. It doesn't need the call forwarding to ring on my watch because of GV.

When using it as a standalone device it is a battery hog. Especially if you're streaming music. I'd say total battery life when doing that I'd about 2 hours. If it's idle it can go much longer apparently. Yesterday I finished the day with 50% after working out 45 minutes in the morning while streaming music (I topped it off for about 30 minutes afterward) and then bluetoothed the rest of the day.

I agree on the Google Cards. I miss them, as well as being able to reply to most any notification I would get on my 360.

11-26-2014 01:59 PM
    I have not hooked up my google voice to my phone yet. When I get a chance I will try it. I also have not tried out the bluetooth streaming music thing on it as well. That will be next but I am not sure about the battery when I stream. Not sure I want to go through the hassle just to stream music and then see it kill my battery.

Btw, yesterday I took it off charge at 6 a.m. and did not put it back on the charger until 11:30 p.m. I left my phone at home and went to disneyland for about 5 hours and when I put it on the charger, it was at 30%.
    11-26-2014 03:37 PM
    Hi folks, I am also interested in getting a galaxy gear s. Is there a way to add calendar events to my Google Calendar on the actual device? Thanks
    11-26-2014 11:13 PM
    Hi folks, I am also interested in getting a galaxy gear s. Is there a way to add calendar events to my Google Calendar on the actual device? Thanks
    I just checked with the stock calendar app on the S and I can only view calendar entries, not create. There may be an app that does and there may be a way of doing it with the stock app that I didn't figure out though.

curney likes this.
    11-27-2014 08:42 PM
    So based on what I read here I pulled the trigger and got the Gear S and will be selling my Moto360 I am very happy with the S so far and the keyboard is surpisingly quick and accurate! I plan on testing the navigation feature on this shortly. Very happy so far and I have until January to return it if I dont like it
    11-29-2014 04:00 PM
54 123