Note 3 running 4.4.2 compatibility

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I plan on upgrading to the Galaxy Gear S and wanted to know if its compatible with the Note 3 on Verizon which runs 4.4.2. I plan on upgrading to the Note Edge which is due out in December but in the interim, I wanted to use this device over my Moto 360 that I have now.

Thanks

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Yes, it should. Samsung just updated S Health app for older phones. So, you will get full functionality with your Note 3.

Note Edge is already out for other carriers like AT&T. But for $399 on contract, almost $1k off contract, I personally don't think it's worth the money.

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Yes, it should. Samsung just updated S Health app for older phones. So, you will get full functionality with your Note 3.

Note Edge is already out for other carriers like AT&T. But for $399 on contract, almost $1k off contract, I personally don't think it's worth the money.

Wow. $1000 off of contract? Maybe I will just go with the Note 4 then and not the Edge. Not sure I want to pay that much for it. That's even more than an IPhone 6 plus.

priceslss

Nov 15, 2014
Visit site
Yes it works with the Note 3 verizon I have had mine for a week plus now and love it. Verizon had just sent me a loyalty discount of $20 a month the week before I got the Gear S so $5 a month was a no brainer. I will be getting the Edge as well and know I will have to set everything up again when I get a new phone.

I am up for upgrade and don't mind the extra fee I am a techy. :D

terrain

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
Even with the update my Note 3 did not have the same functionality that my Note 4 has. Gear S App store was broken on my 3, as was the app install process. When I swapped out to my Note 4 everything works like it should.

NOTE - you will have to WIPE your Gear S if you want to use it when your new phone. Moment you try to pair it with another phone it will ask you to wipe it.

dorrien12

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
Even with the update my Note 3 did not have the same functionality that my Note 4 has. Gear S App store was broken on my 3, as was the app install process. When I swapped out to my Note 4 everything works like it should.

NOTE - you will have to WIPE your Gear S if you want to use it when your new phone. Moment you try to pair it with another phone it will ask you to wipe it.

Like what, I have the Note 3, can't upgrade til next year. What were you missing?

jong54

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
In Gear manager, when I click S Health it tells me I need to update it. When it tries to download I get an error message. "Product does not exist in this store. (4002)"

Primetimeplaya

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
I own the Note 3 and since Verizon wouldn't update me to 4.4.4, I went to the Samsung center at my local Best Buy and they did. I thought I was going crazy when I couldn't get my Gear S to respond to email. I found out something that Samsung customer service couldn't tell me.

You need the Note 4 or S5 to get the respond to email function to work no matter what the version of android you have. The Note 3 is just not set up yet to allow that option. They're expecting an update for it but who knows when that will happen.

dorrien12

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
I own the Note 3 and since Verizon wouldn't update me to 4.4.4, I went to the Samsung center at my local Best Buy and they did. I thought I was going crazy when I couldn't get my Gear S to respond to email. I found out something that Samsung customer service couldn't tell me.

You need the Note 4 or S5 to get the respond to email function to work no matter what the version of android you have. The Note 3 is just not set up yet to allow that option. They're expecting an update for it but who knows when that will happen.

That's not completely true, I have AT&T Note 3 4.4.4 and Gear S, I can reply to and delete emails on my Gear S. But I can't compose emails on the Gear S.

When I had 4.4.2 couldn't reply to emails only could read them and couldn't delete, but the update enabled the reply and delete feature.

Primetimeplaya

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site

That's not completely true, I have AT&T Note 3 4.4.4 and Gear S, I can reply to and delete emails on my Gear S. But I can't compose emails on the Gear S.

When I had 4.4.2 couldn't reply to emails only could read them and couldn't delete, but the update enabled the reply and delete feature.

OMG. You're Right! I never tried it since I was shown the info on the screen at Best Buy showing the Note 3 wasn't compatible for returning emails. I hadn't set it up as an email but only used the gmail app. The app doesn't show the option at all but when I set it up through the email client, I immediately got this option and saw that I could return emails.

Thanks for the catch.

xendula

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
My Note II is on 4.4.2 and I can reply to emails and delete them, as well as access all the features that are supposed to work between Gear S and phone. My Note is the unbranded international version.
I thought I'd mention it here in case other Note II owners stumble over this thread and wonder about Gear S compatibility.

I wonder if carriers simply screwed up their past firmware, and as long as you have pure Samsung on your phone, everything should work.

Primetimeplaya

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
My Note II is on 4.4.2 and I can reply to emails and delete them, as well as access all the features that are supposed to work between Gear S and phone. My Note is the unbranded international version.
I thought I'd mention it here in case other Note II owners stumble over this thread and wonder about Gear S compatibility.

I wonder if carriers simply screwed up their past firmware, and as long as you have pure Samsung on your phone, everything should work.

You can bet that carriers have changed the updates to suit their purposes. I doubt that Verizon even plans on releasing the 4.4.4 update themselves for the Note 3.

The wife has my old Note 2 and the last update on it from Verizon was back on June 18th and that was 4.4.2. I haven't connected my Gear S to it but I'm pretty sure it will act the same as my Note 3 did before I got it updated to the newest version of KitKat.

xendula

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
You can bet that carriers have changed the updates to suit their purposes. I doubt that Verizon even plans on releasing the 4.4.4 update themselves for the Note 3.

The wife has my old Note 2 and the last update on it from Verizon was back on June 18th and that was 4.4.2. I haven't connected my Gear S to it but I'm pretty sure it will act the same as my Note 3 did before I got it updated to the newest version of KitKat.
Yet another reason to stay away from carrier branded phones. Not that you have much of a choice on Verizon, sadly. At least I can buy mine overseas and put in my own SIM card.

I wish Samsung would just let people buy phones directly from them.

On my Note II, there is actually an update waiting to be installed since 12/12. I haven't pushed the button yet, for fear it may break something, like connectivity with my Gear S :(