Anyone get one at a Tmo store?

fkpalm

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
T mobile stores have them i held one and decided to purchase it from sprint rather then starting with new carrier.

Posted via the Android Central App

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
T mobile stores have them i held one and decided to purchase it from sprint rather then starting with new carrier.

I think it is good sense to get it from YOUR carrier for the simple reason, there might be a chance, the other carrier's Gear S, might not have all the bands, etc!! I resisted the urge to get on from ATT, even at the $299 price. I waited a couple days later and got one at $349 from Tmobile. Now, I am sure I got all the bands that Tmobile uses, plus I only pay 5/month for the extra line too..

Again, good move to stay with same carrier for all devices..

xendula

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
^
I am a T-mo customer and thought so, too, so I got it from T-mo, but the T-mo version and ATT version use the same two bands.

Also, OP be advised that T-mo will not unlock them, no matter what they promise you prior to purchase. At least that's what I was told today after escalating my unlock request.

I am returning mine and will try to get one from ATT instead, if I can get it unlocked.

As to OP's other question: none of the stores in my area had them, which is why I ordered mine over the phone. Depends where you live.

Idelgado782

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
^
I am a T-mo customer and thought so, too, so I got it from T-mo, but the T-mo version and ATT version use the same two bands.

Also, OP be advised that T-mo will not unlock them, no matter what they promise you prior to purchase. At least that's what I was told today after escalating my unlock request.

I am returning mine and will try to get one from ATT instead, if I can get it unlocked.

As to OP's other question: none of the stores in my area had them, which is why I ordered mine over the phone. Depends where you live.

But then you'd be paying g a 50 restocking fee if you return to tmo. If you just keep it you should be able to get it from unlocked for 29 from the cell unlocker. Just a thought.

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
^

I don't understand that "won't unlock" bit with Tmobile. You have to OWN the device, I do know that. For example.. My Note 3, since I didn't need it earlier, and now that I was selling it, I call Tmobile and in a couple days they sent me the unlock code and reference #.. I am quite sure they will do the same with the Gear S..

BradButter

May 18, 2011
Visit site
^

I work for T-Mobile. If you did an installment plan you have to first pay off the device and it has to be in use for 30 days. That's the unlock policy just tell customer care a rep told u that

xendula

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
I work for T-Mobile. If you did an installment plan you have to first pay off the device and it has to be in use for 30 days. That's the unlock policy just tell customer care a rep told u that
Since you work for them, could you confirm what one of the reps told me: that Tmo lists the Gear S in their system internally as a "mobile broadband device" and as such has it on a "restricted device list", which means that it can NEVER be unlocked, just like their ipads? No matter that I have a voice and text plan with it and use it as a PHONE? They wouldn't budge on that.
I was on a 3 way call with Sammy and T-mo, and basically Tmo blamed Sammy in their email back to me denying an unlock code, then backpaddled once Sammy and T-mo were both on a call with me and told me the above, then T-mo passed me to a manager who denied the existence of a "restricted device list" and claimed they do not have the "tools" to unlock it, and could only offer me their sympathy and the offer that I send it back, especially since I was told repeatedly that it could be unlocked by T-mo.

I used to really like T-mobile, but this is a bad way to treat customers. I paid up front, have been a long time customer (not that it should matter, since, again, I paid up front), and they have documented my conversations with them prior to purchase about my intent to unlock it.

ATT on the other hand is doing right by their customers, AND sells it for $50 less.

BradButter

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Since you work for them, could you confirm what one of the reps told me: that Tmo lists the Gear S in their system internally as a "mobile broadband device" and as such has it on a "restricted device list", which means that it can NEVER be unlocked, just like their ipads? No matter that I have a voice and text plan with it and use it as a PHONE? They wouldn't budge on that.
I was on a 3 way call with Sammy and T-mo, and basically Tmo blamed Sammy in their email back to me denying an unlock code, then backpaddled once Sammy and T-mo were both on a call with me and told me the above, then T-mo passed me to a manager who denied the existence of a "restricted device list" and claimed they do not have the "tools" to unlock it, and could only offer me their sympathy and the offer that I send it back, especially since I was told repeatedly that it could be unlocked by T-mo.

I used to really like T-mobile, but this is a bad way to treat customers. I paid up front, have been a long time customer (not that it should matter, since, again, I paid up front), and they have documented my conversations with them prior to purchase about my intent to unlock it.

ATT on the other hand is doing right by their customers, AND sells it for $50 less.
Than that I'm not sure. I've never heard of a list like that. I've never heard of anyone just not being able to unlock. I've heard of people not meeting requirements but it could be that the device is a wearable and so new that they are all just confused BC I honestly don't even see why this device would be locked from the start. Are there differences in carrier versions? But to answer your question it is a mobile broadband device. The plan adds a mobile internet line to your account. But I've also never heard of an iPad not being able to be unlocked. I've had customers unlock mobile hotspot and everything so I honestly think this might either be something new because its a wearable ...or nobody knows how to go about unlocking it. Have you just tried it with another Sim. It may be unlocked by default like the nexus and that's why they can't find how to unlock it.

xendula

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Yup, tried it with another SIM and it is locked. It uses the exact same bands as the ATT version.
Since I use it as a phone, and have a voice plan, it shouldn't be listed as a broadband device. I have unlimited voice&text with it and 500MB data.
Lastly, I have a copy of a chat transcript with Tmo CS during which I was informed that their ipads are never unlocked, no matter if you pay up front.
I don't have a clue, so I am just recounting the various things I was told by T-mo in the past week. Could you maybe check on your end, internally, what the deal with unlocking them is?

Neitherfanboy

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
I called a few local TMo stores trying to find one, and finally found a store that had one in stock. Went to the store and when they brought it out from the back the box said Demo Kit -- turns out it was supposed to be the store's display unit (and they had no others). They were apologetic, and started calling other stores to see if they could find me one ... and while they were doing that, their UPS order arrived. They opened the boxes and they had ONE in the shipment ... its mine. Cautiously optimistic with it so far.

jlczl

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
I called a few local TMo stores trying to find one, and finally found a store that had one in stock. Went to the store and when they brought it out from the back the box said Demo Kit -- turns out it was supposed to be the store's display unit (and they had no others). They were apologetic, and started calling other stores to see if they could find me one ... and while they were doing that, their UPS order arrived. They opened the boxes and they had ONE in the shipment ... its mine. Cautiously optimistic with it so far.

I have one and am exceedingly frustrated by it. I'm trying to like it because I don't want to eat the $75 restocking fee. I can't believe T-Mobile is charging that much!

Neitherfanboy

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Was not sure I was going to like it when I bought it, but thought I would risk it. Loving it. I get emails from multiple accounts. I get my text messages (I can reply to standard SMS but only read Google Hangouts -- hoping for Hangouts support in the future), I have traffic alerts set to my Gear. Loving it.

jlczl

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Was not sure I was going to like it when I bought it, but thought I would risk it. Loving it. I get emails from multiple accounts. I get my text messages (I can reply to standard SMS but only read Google Hangouts -- hoping for Hangouts support in the future), I have traffic alerts set to my Gear. Loving it.

You can reply to hangouts messages if you get the Notifications for Gear S app on Google Play.

xendula

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Quick update from me:

ATT came through for me, while T-mo and Samsung left me hanging!
I had to call them to inquire, and was bounced around to three different people, but I just received my ATT unlock code!! Again, I only have the grandfathered iPad plan with them, while I have my voice plan with T-mo, yet ATT ended up helping me out. So excited. Everything including call forwarding seems to be working fine.

And for $50 less.

jlczl

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Quick update from me:

ATT came through for me, while T-mo and Samsung left me hanging!
I had to call them to inquire, and was bounced around to three different people, but I just received my ATT unlock code!! Again, I only have the grandfathered iPad plan with them, while I have my voice plan with T-mo, yet ATT ended up helping me out. So excited. Everything including call forwarding seems to be working fine.

And for $50 less.

Can you test it out with a T-Mobile sim and see if it works (since T-Mobile says it needs to be provisioned as a wearable).

xendula

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Can you test it out with a T-Mobile sim and see if it works (since T-Mobile says it needs to be provisioned as a wearable).
It has a Tmo SIM in it. The ATT version came with an inactive ATT sim, which i took out, put the tmo sim in, entered the unlock code when prompted, and everything works exactly like the Tmo Gear S I originally purchased. Thing is, the Tmo one came with a nano sim, which I activated when I received the device. I am keeping the sim and the plan, just not the device.

Last edited:

jlczl

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
It has a Tmo SIM in it. The ATT version came with an inactive ATT sim, which i took ozt, out the tmo sim in, entered the unlock code when prompted, amd everythung works exactly like the Tmo Gear S I oroginally purchased. Thing is, the Tmo one came with a nano sim, which i activated when I received the device. I am keeping the sim and the plan, just not the device.

Thanks. I'm wondering if it'll work with a regular nano sim card from T-Mobile that isn't provisioned as a Wearable since I have a line I'm not using.

xendula

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
My regular phone has a micro sim, otherwise I'd try it out for you. I honestly can't imagine it NOT working. What do they care which phone you use with your SIM?!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nephalem42