Was wondering if I could buy the Gear S from Best Buy and then get a SIM card from Verizon and use it on the Verizon network? Not sure if I want to use it as a standalone unit or one where I could hook it up to the Verizon network?
    11-21-2014 12:14 PM
    No, because:
    1. Gear S on AT&T only has GSM radio. Verizon is a CDMA carrier. GSM phones won't work on Verizon.
    2. The SIM card from Verizon is for LTE data only. The calls, SMS are still going through CDMA network using an ESN registered in Verizon's database. So, it a device doesn't have a Verizon name on it, chances are it won't work even if it supports CDMA because of the ESN registration requirement.

But, you should still be able to use it with BT tethered. Just can't use the cell radio part.
    tech_fan likes this.
    11-21-2014 01:55 PM
    Im having some strange issues that could be linked to this.I purchased the Samsung Gear S for use with Verizon and was waiting on the Note Edge. As you know Verizon still hasn't released the Edge yet. I did have it paired up with a Note 3 and everything was working great until the Note 3 died. I then went and bought the Note Edge from AT&T since Verizon hasn't come out with the phone and thought I could still use it since it was a standalone unit with its on dedicated #. I still have other phones with Verizon and was going to continue to pay the 10.00 per month that the watch incurs. After getting home I rebooted the watch and linked up to the new Edge and everything was working great through Bluetooth except I couldn't use the watchs standalone phone. I went and re-activated the watch today and now the standalone phone is working but it will no longer connect via Bluetooth to the Edge. I was on the phone with Samsung for over 2 hours only to confirm what I already knew. The watch and phone are not compatible when used with different carriers! This seems like a crock but wanted to see what some of you guys opinion is on this matter. Just sell the Verizon watch and purchase a new one through AT&T?

Thanks,
    12-16-2014 12:39 PM
    Probably some coincidence rather than anything else. I have seen plenty of owners mix phones and watches from different carriers successfully. Hence I don't even use any carrier on my GS3 which is connected to internet via wifi only, no cell service at all. But normally, when the watch is connected to the phone via BT, its cell radio is auto-disabled to save battery because it is not needed. Trying to call your watch number will not work.
    12-16-2014 02:29 PM
    I'm using an AT&T Gear S with a Verizon Note 4 thru bluetooth. It works perfect. I hope you figure out how to get it to work.
    12-16-2014 06:07 PM
    Does the phone part work on it too? Meaning that if you left your phone at home and you receive a call will you be able to answer via your gear S?
    05-02-2015 09:09 AM
    It should but Verizon's call forwarding is a hit or miss depending where you are. The specific dialing code to enable auto-forwarding is not properly supported network wide on Verizon (it is a problem even for those have the Verizon Gear S). .
    05-02-2015 09:00 PM
    On your watch go to settings, connections, mobile networks, change it to auto. Turn off the Bluetooth and make a call from the watch to your phone. You'll see it's using the watch number. Turn Bluetooth back on and it'll use your phones number once Bluetooth connects. It only uses the standalone number when not connected via Bluetooth, even if you set the watch mobile network connection to always on. Auto saves a ton of battery if you're connected to Bluetooth most of the day is why I also suggest leaving it there.
    As far as Bluetooth not connecting, try unpair the watch from your phone and pair it up again on the phone. That's not that unusual after a watch factory reset.
    Hope that helps.

Support Our Troops !!!
    <
    Beast Mode 4
    05-03-2015 06:08 AM
    That's a good thing to know, someone told me that if you used cross-carriers on your phone and Gear S, it'd have a problem channeling your phone number through the watch. So its not that big a deal? So I can buy a used or new AT&T Gear S on Ebay, and via bluetooth, just be able to make calls through my phone via the watch, and people will see my phone's phone number?
    05-03-2015 06:17 PM
    That's a good thing to know, someone told me that if you used cross-carriers on your phone and Gear S, it'd have a problem channeling your phone number through the watch. So its not that big a deal? So I can buy a used or new AT&T Gear S on Ebay, and via bluetooth, just be able to make calls through my phone via the watch, and people will see my phone's phone number?
    If you get an AT&T data plan with it , yes. If you buy it outright and put no data plan on it , no. The data plan includes unlimited calling and texting. No plan, no standalone calls.

Support Our Troops !!!
    <><
    Beast Mode 4
    Tamara Pretlor likes this.
    05-03-2015 06:22 PM
    Right, I would obviously have my phone with me to bluetooth connect. Its just that someone told me that even when you BT connect, sometimes it doesn't show your phone number to people when you call/text via the watch, it shows the watch's number. Honestly, I'm torn. I mean, FFS, I can get a AT&T one on ebay flat new for 200 bucks, and the average verizon one being sold is closer to 300. Gahh....
    05-03-2015 06:24 PM
    Its just that someone told me that even when you BT connect, sometimes it doesn't show your phone number to people when you call/text via the watch, it shows the watch's number.
    Whoever told you that is flat out wrong. You only see watch's number when you are not connected with BT. In that case, you will have to have a GSM carrier's SIM card and plan (hence the phone number) to work. Since all Gear S sold in US is locked, that means you need an AT&T, or those use AT&T's network, SIM card to work. SIM unlock is not that easy without an AT&T account.
    05-03-2015 07:56 PM
    Ok, so in the end it comes to down simply if I want to save money, and know that I can't use the watch standalone, I can get a Sprint/ATT/T-mobile because they tend to run cheaper. Now, if I BT connect to my phone, and my phone's internet is on, does that mean I can piggyback off it, or does the wifi on the phone have to be+phone hotspot has to be on too, etc? I figure I might as well get all my questions answered before I consider pulling the trigger on this.
    05-03-2015 09:11 PM
    Yes you can piggy bank off of the phones data connection. The S also has Wi-Fi built in.

Support Our Troops !!!
    <><
    Beast Mode 4
    05-04-2015 05:27 AM
    So while Bluetooth connected, I get data through my phone too as long as its data is on? Geez, this is looking more and more like I shouldn't bother getting the more expensive Verizon version. One other question-how worrying is it about sweat? Isnt the underside/charging ports resting against ones arm, and with the weather the way its going, wouldn't you sweat right onto the charging point?
    05-04-2015 04:29 PM
    Nope sweat is fine, I have ridden for 2 hours with it on my wrist with a good sweat going.

Don't go swimming with it, but it can get damp.
    05-04-2015 04:57 PM
    So while Bluetooth connected, I get data through my phone too as long as its data is on? Geez, this is looking more and more like I shouldn't bother getting the more expensive Verizon version. One other question-how worrying is it about sweat? Isnt the underside/charging ports resting against ones arm, and with the weather the way its going, wouldn't you sweat right onto the charging point?
    Time will tell how long until the electrolytes in sweat cause problems. I'm a heavy sweater so that's a concern for me as well.

Support Our Troops !!!
    <><
    Beast Mode 4
    05-04-2015 05:44 PM
    05-04-2015 08:10 PM
    Well hell, I'm OCD about wiping my Note 2 with a microfiber cloth every 90 seconds, I'm sure I can wipe the underside of the Gear S that I want to buy with the same thing.
    05-04-2015 08:41 PM
    On your watch go to settings, connections, mobile networks, change it to auto. Turn off the Bluetooth and make a call from the watch to your phone. You'll see it's using the watch number. Turn Bluetooth back on and it'll use your phones number once Bluetooth connects. It only uses the standalone number when not connected via Bluetooth, even if you set the watch mobile network connection to always on. Auto saves a ton of battery if you're connected to Bluetooth most of the day is why I also suggest leaving it there.
    As far as Bluetooth not connecting, try unpair the watch from your phone and pair it up again on the phone. That's not that unusual after a watch factory reset.
    Hope that helps.

Support Our Troops !!!
    <
    Beast Mode 4
    So, I can make a call from the watch, without a SIM card when connected via Bluetooth?
    11-16-2015 04:05 PM
    and you're able to get texts? I have a gear s2 I got from ATT and trying to pair to a Google Pixel phone. I can send messages out but not receive
    01-17-2017 10:37 AM