02-03-2015 07:20 AM
62 123
tools
    I didn't see bias. I see someone expecting the S to work as seamlessly as AndroidWear. I know because I was the same way. I say was, because in attempting to save a restocking fee, I'm trying hard to like the S and one thing I've realized, is that I need to think about the S more as a standalone phone than a companion screen. It makes the S easier to understand.

I don't think the S does too much. As a matter of fact I feel it doesn't do enough. I love everything it does but it needs to reflect the same notification status as the phone. 2 way sync is missing and is the last piece of the puzzle to make this watch the best in class.

Posted via the Android Central App
    OK, if the Gear S isn't the "best in class", what is?

See, yours is the kind of comment that annoys. As if there's a best in class out there we should all be buying instead of the Gear S.

The fact that the Gear S is the ONLY watch with a stand alone phone make it the best in a class of 1. Don't consider the phone and I still don't see the 360 or the R or the Pebble being better.
    11-27-2014 12:36 PM
    All those positives and yet the review comes across as massively negative.

Funny how that works.
    11-27-2014 12:41 PM
    OK, if the Gear S isn't the "best in class", what is?

See, yours is the kind of comment that annoys. As if there's a best in class out there we should all be buying instead of the Gear S.

The fact that the Gear S is the ONLY watch with a stand alone phone make it the best in a class of 1. Don't consider the phone and I still don't see the 360 or the R or the Pebble being better.
    There is no clear best in my opinion. The 360 can't be a standalone phone and the S doesn't communicate with the phone it's paired to as well as the 360. If either of them could do what the other is missing, that one would be best in class.

If you're someone who has no problem having the phone with you all the time the 360 is clearly better.

If you want to leave the phone behind the S is clearly better.

11-27-2014 02:31 PM
    One thing I'm afraid of is Samsung leaving the S behind and not supporting it until maturity.

11-27-2014 02:35 PM
    There is no clear best in my opinion. The 360 can't be a standalone phone and the S doesn't communicate with the phone it's paired to as well as the 360. If either of them could do what the other is missing, that one would be best in class.

If you're someone who has no problem having the phone with you all the time the 360 is clearly better.

Aside from this one issue with deleting notifications on the watch which have been deleted on the phone, it appears the MOTO 360 lacks functionality in other areas as well.

Correct me if I'm wrong but can the 360 make and receive calls? Even the original Galaxy Gear could do that as a bluetooth only connected device.

I'm not familiar with Android Wear, but it seems the draw toward that platform are those who are equally drawn to the stock Android experience?

I believe, and this is just my opinion, that Samsung envisions the smartphone being the secondary device and the smartwatch being primary. If that's the case then 90% of all notifications would first be viewed and handled on the watch. Therefore, any action taken on the watch is synced with the phone. Thus no real need to have the same functionality in reverse.

However, operating from a view that the smartphone is primary, with 90% of all actions first taking place on the phone, and the watch is secondary, then I can see the need a user would have to want any action taken on the phone to be synced with the watch.

But understanding Samsung's vision here, and making the Gear S the primary device by giving it standalone capabilities sets it apart, and requires a shift in the way we tech heads interact with the new technology. If we are not willing, or prefer the old way, then I'd say stick with Android Wear. However, if we are willing to adopt a new way of doing things, and can embrace the smartwatch as the "go to" device, then products like the Gear S will be preferred.

In the end no one is wrong. It boils down to personal preference. I think Andrew made the mistake of focusing too much on Android Wear and not reviewing the Gear S based on its own merit.

It's like buying a Hummer, and then giving it a bad rating because it doesn't corner like that of a Porsche.

I think Samsung is betting that consumers will adopt a new way of interacting with technology and trying to move away from the "this is the way it's all ways been done" approach.

They were successful when people told them no wantes a stylus back in 2011 with the original Note. Back then they were even accused of taking technology backwards to the days of the Palm Pilot. However, they proved with the s-pen that people were willing to embrace this new direction.

Here in 2014 they have dared to introduce a new way of using a smartphone by producing the Note Edge. A radically new concept that requires a mental shift in how the user interacts with their phone.

The Gear S I believe is in that same class. I would advise Andrew and anyone else reviewing or considering this product to throw out all preconceived notions, and think about a new shift in how things are done.

11-27-2014 03:16 PM

The problem with syncing though can easily be fixed. That's not really an issue. Software is better problem than hardware. Viewing notifications is better. Be able to to have a screen and see what notification is much easier than swiping through.

I agree with you that each have their cons, but which is easier to be fixed.

But I have to agree that the 360 is clearly better. It's not. And that's no biased answer. You said it yourself there's nothing the 360 can do that the S can other than the standalone feature.

Here's where you're wrong

Gear S

Multi keyboard option (no third party needed)
    UV sensors and barometer
    Multi view for notification
    Recent app screen with option to close
    Widgets
    Option to Dismiss all notifications
    Opera Mini
    Standalone GPS
    Wireless
    Gallery with option to transfer pics to phone
    Change font for better reading (double tap when reading email texts etc)

That's just touching on several benefits.

The only and only benefits that Android has is Google Now and Devs jumping on board faster. That's it. Nothing else.

11-27-2014 04:30 PM
    @DAS, I can initiate and answer calls with my 360.

If I delete an email or dismiss a text message on my watch it still shows up on my phone as unread. Am I doing something wrong?

11-27-2014 04:54 PM
    @aitt, you say the problem with syncing can easily be fixed and that is not really an issue.

I'm not as confident about you on that. I hope you're right.

You also say software is better problem than hardware. I agree 100% That's one reason I really like the S.

You say viewing notifications is better and being able to to have a screen and see what notification is much easier than swiping. This is subjective and I disagree. The swiping to the right to dismiss and to the left to reply seems much more natural to me.

I agree with you that software is easier to fix and I hope they do fix it .

You mention the S having a multi keyboard option (no third party needed). I've tried them and I just could not get used to any of them. Voice dictation that works is better than typing on a 2 inch screen in my opinion.

As far as the UV sensors and barometer, I'm not sure if I'll ever use these.

You also mention multi view for notifications. Again, to me, the swiping away of the notifications just is a super simple UI that has become 2nd nature. I can do it without giving it a second thought. I haven't gotten to that point with my S yet.

As far as the recent app screen with option to close, I actually like that screen and feel it is a huge plus if you look at this device as a phone first.

Now widgets are actually a little more natural in AW to me because the widget shows up if you're using the app on your phone (Spotify as an example). If I'm not using the app, the widget disappears.

The option to dismiss all notifications would be great if they got dismissed on the phone too but alas, they don't. Additionally, I don't need this on my 360 because they don't pile up since they get handled immediately due to the ease to do that. In the rare time they accumulate, I agree it can be a chore to swipe them away individually....but again, if I dismiss them all on my phone, they're gone from my watch.

Opera Mini, really? I tried it and I can't find any reason to navigate a Web page on a 2 inch screen. I deleted it within a couple of hours.

Standalone GPS: Yes, this is awesome.......Battery hog though, but great if you're fully charged. Love it on my runs. Then again the 360 syncs seamlessly with the GPS on my Note without killing the battery.

Wireless........again, awesome.

Gallery with option to transfer pics is nice but I much rather see my pics on my Note 4 screen.

Change font for better reading (double tap when reading email texts etc).....Haven't done this, I'll look into it for my aging eyes.

Google Now and Devs jumping on board faster are major points and there's so much to say about a UI that's seamless.

11-27-2014 05:11 PM
    I tell you what. On the notifications screen one finger touch and hold. It will show all options of the notification and show them. It's as simple as hitting the minus sign.

And you are wrong. When you dismiss all the first thing it tells you is that will dismiss all notification on the phone. I don't know how you miss that.

Android Central review of the Gear S-screen-20141127174320-0-.jpg

11-27-2014 05:44 PM
    And yes Opera Mini is awesome for quick mobile view. Pinch to zoom is simple. I'm not talking about full Web view. That's just dumb. But I can mobile FB Twitter Gmail G+. That is nothing ridiculous about that.

Like I have went thru this thing thoroughly and the options simple make Gear S the better option. You're right those cards are subjective. But I love the fact that notification are it's own screen.

Lastly your opinion of if those options are beneficial or not is irrelevant. I'm simply pointing what the Gear S can do that Android is not capable of.

11-27-2014 05:49 PM
    You guys should stop going back and forth.
    The bottom line for everyone is to buy the product that works best for you.

I am an owner of both the Note 4 and Note Edge, and so as an owner of a Samsung phone the Gear S is for my needs the best option.

Trying to determine whether Android Wear watches are better than Tizen watches is fruitless.

In my opinion, this is what Andrew did wrong. He did not appear to review the Gear S based on its own merit, but instead allowed his preference for Android Wear to steer his opinion of the Gear S.

When a proper product review is performed it's important to know the target audience for the product and speak to the needs of that audience.

Samsung is clear that the Gear S is not for non-Samsung owners, but rather for those who own select Samsung phones and want the convenience and added value of standalone connectivity.

Knowing this cannot be viewed as a weakness because there is no attempt to mislead in that fact.

Andrew, unfortunately, has a dislike of large screen phones (based on his own comments). This dislike impacts his use of, and ability to be objective. Because the Gear S is primarily paired with a large screen phone like the Note 3, 4, or Edge I believe it's difficult for him to immerse himself into the product for a proper review because if the truth be told he is probably longing to get rid of the thing so he can go back to the size and OS of his preference.

That is why for me I don't let paid reviewers, who have not spent their own money influence my buying decisions. I'd much rather listen to, or read the comments of true "end users" because they are likely to be brutality honest and say what they like and don't like.

11-27-2014 06:45 PM
    Just one more point and then I'm done.

Andrew, and everyone asociated with Android Central, have a vested interested to push Android Wear.

They don't work for, or are they paid by, the folks at Tizen. When you consider the obvious conflict of interest it's not hard to understand the inability to approach the product with full objectivity.

When you and I watch a commercial on tv and we see a caption like "this is a paid actor being compensated for this endorsement" we don't expect objectivity.

The folks at Android Central are nice people, but there job is to promote Android. I say there is nothing wrong at all with this.
    I understand that reality everytime I click to open the site.

11-27-2014 06:56 PM
    I have no problem with jlczl I think he's a great guy doing a lot better about his opinion than that Android Review. I'm just point out thing in a neutral debate. There's thugs he hasn't found out yet that I'm pointing out. He's doing a 12 day review and I definitely can respect that because he's going through the trenches finding things he like and don't like. I have full respect for that. We differ on opinions but I like the back and forth
    It leaves people who are still wondering to see the real pros and cons of both OS.

Sammuel1973 likes this.
    11-27-2014 06:57 PM
    I have no problem with jlczl I think he's a great guy doing a lot better about his opinion than that Android Review. I'm just point out thing in a neutral debate. There's thugs he hasn't found out yet that I'm pointing out. He's doing a 12 day review and I definitely can respect that because he's going through the trenches finding things he like and don't like. I have full respect for that. We differ on opinions but I like the back and forth
    It leaves people who are still wondering to see the real pros and cons of both OS.

I can understand that. It makes perfect sense.

11-27-2014 06:59 PM

Yup, and I really appreciate aitt pointing out what he likes, uses and finds beneficial because it helps me arrive at a thoroughly educated conclusion. Plus, I think others will benefit when they decide which smart watch fits their needs best.

@aitt, I still have to check out some of the things you just pointed out in your previous post. Thanks.

Sammuel1973 and aitt like this.
    11-27-2014 08:27 PM
    If leaving your phone home and still being able to make and receive calls is of little importance to you, then sure, the moto 360 is a very viable choice. Style will likely be the major deciding factor.

But reviewing the Gear S and comparing it to another smart watch as if they are equivalent because you don't care about the device's most significant feature is IMHO, nonsense.
    11-27-2014 11:09 PM
    Tech reviewers are just people with opinions too. In the end who cares what they think. I love my Gear S.
    CehowardNote7 likes this.
    11-28-2014 08:43 AM
    I think all these reviews are just opinions of the person doing the review. I had a pebble original gear the gear 2 and moto 360 and without a doubt the Gear S is the best in my opinion. Now i feel that the biggest fault that alot of reviewers have of the S is that it is tied in with the Samsung Echo system. If samsung decided to open it up to more adroid phones the reviews will be much better.

11-28-2014 12:01 PM
    I think all these reviews are just opinions of the person doing the review. I had a pebble original gear the gear 2 and moto 360 and without a doubt the Gear S is the best in my opinion. Now i feel that the biggest fault that alot of reviewers have of the S is that it is tied in with the Samsung Echo system. If samsung decided to open it up to more adroid phones the reviews will be much better.

Without a doubt they're opinions. The good thing is that when actual users post their experiences, it helps others decide if they'll work for them. I know it helps me.

aitt likes this.
    11-28-2014 01:48 PM

Reviews are only as good when given accurate information and not misleading people. Information can be good or bad but it needs to be accurate.

Telling people that the watch doesn't have an always on option, for example, is inaccurate.

I never seen so many people upset in review comments as I've seen with this. It's not just me of a few of us in the forums, but for real everyday users who knows the reports are either not fully reviews, misleading, and constantly meet with restrictive negativity

11-30-2014 08:06 AM
    It's odd that the reviews (Android Central, CNET, Engages) are negative, while most user comments are very positive.
    What makes the reviewer's comments suspect is the nature of the negativity. The Gear S doesn't work with every phone made, it doesn't do everything a smart phone will do, it doesn't do things as easily as a smart phone.
    I'd like to say it's just a case of unrealistic expectations, but these are experienced tech reviewers.
    Do we have an Apple camp, an Android camp, a tiny Microsoft camp and, it seems, an even smaller Samsung camp?
    It's gotten to the point the only use for the reviews is to generate user comments, which are more helpful than the review.
    12-01-2014 09:00 PM
    It's odd that the reviews (Android Central, CNET, Engages) are negative, while most user comments are very positive.
    What makes the reviewer's comments suspect is the nature of the negativity. The Gear S doesn't work with every phone made, it doesn't do everything a smart phone will do, it doesn't do things as easily as a smart phone.
    I'd like to say it's just a case of unrealistic expectations, but these are experienced tech reviewers.
    Do we have an Apple camp, an Android camp, a tiny Microsoft camp and, it seems, an even smaller Samsung camp?
    It's gotten to the point the only use for the reviews is to generate user comments, which are more helpful than the review.
    I actually believe it's because the reviewers from those sites you mentioned are a little bit more objective. They have access to a wide variety of devices and operating systems so they compare it to what they have used. On the other hand, you have users that have invested their money and have a tendency to need to justify their purchases. Nobody likes seeing the devices they spent their hard earned money on getting negative reviews so they tend to comment a little bit more positive.

12-03-2014 10:35 AM
    I actually believe it's because the reviewers from those sites you mentioned are a little bit more objective. They have access to a wide variety of devices and operating systems so they compare it to what they have used. On the other hand, you have users that have invested their money and have a tendency to need to justify their purchases. Nobody likes seeing the devices they spent their hard earned money on getting negative reviews so they tend to comment a little bit more positive.

You're kidding, right?

Tech product reviewers on internet sites are known for their objectivity? Sorry, there goes your credibility.

Even people who don't own the Gear S but have looked at it in best buy smell a rat. And its not just the Gear S. Its anything by Microsoft. On the Apple sites like Cnet, its anything Android. On the Android sites its anything Apple.

Why do you feel the need to defend such obvious shilling?
    12-03-2014 01:49 PM
    You're kidding, right?

Tech product reviewers on internet sites are known for their objectivity? Sorry, there goes your credibility.

Even people who don't own the Gear S but have looked at it in best buy smell a rat. And its not just the Gear S. Its anything by Microsoft. On the Apple sites like Cnet, its anything Android. On the Android sites its anything Apple.

Why do you feel the need to defend such obvious shilling?
    LOL, OK I guess I've lost my credibility because of my opinion that websites doing reviews can be objective.

Let's face it, it's normal human tendency not to see the flaws in ourselves. I think that tends to extend to the things we purchase and like/enjoy. I've seen those reviews and I didn't see much bias if any. I see people trying to figure out the S. Am I naive? Maybe so, but I don't really think so.....especially about the reviews here on AC. Eventhough some people might, not everyone has an agenda.

At any rate, it isn't anything to get super excited about. It is what it is.

I have my Gear S and my Moto 360. They're both better than the other at certain things. Yes, I prefer the 360 but I still like my S.

I just notice a lot of people getting worked up over other's opinions about our watches. Who cares? The important thing is that it works for you.

12-03-2014 04:47 PM
    LOL, OK I guess I've lost my credibility because of my opinion that websites doing reviews can be objective.

Let's face it, it's normal human tendency not to see the flaws in ourselves. I think that tends to extend to the things we purchase and like/enjoy. I've seen those reviews and I didn't see much bias if any. I see people trying to figure out the S. Am I naive? Maybe so, but I don't really think so.....especially about the reviews here on AC. Eventhough some people might, not everyone has an agenda.

At any rate, it isn't anything to get super excited about. It is what it is.

I have my Gear S and my Moto 360. They're both better than the other at certain things. Yes, I prefer the 360 but I still like my S.

I just notice a lot of people getting worked up over other's opinions about our watches. Who cares? The important thing is that it works for you.

Here are a couple of things for you to consider because you are naïve.

Tech sites get their money from advertising and advertising means eyeballs. Eyeballs are generated by tips, rumors and invitations to see and test new products. Apple is especially bad about freezing out reviewers who give less than glowing reviews or who favor other products in comparisons.
    If you're an Android site you don't care about Apple not giving you early info, you just don't want to annoy Google, while still creating the impression of being evenhanded.

The tech world runs on rumor and access to information.

When people have a financial interest in having access to information from a specific manufacturer or will lose money if a manufacturer freezes them out, bias will exist in reviews.

While you may think that owners countering biased reviews is just purchase justification, when so many owners are incensed, the Gear S review, for example, even you must see there's something there.

While biased, negative reviews on Apple sites weren't enough to kill the Note phones, I want to see the Gear S type product succeed and for development to continue. A fair evaluation of the product is all we want.
    12-03-2014 06:54 PM
62 123