02-03-2015 08:20 AM
62 123
tools
    Is on the front page. This made any other review I read almost pale in comparison.

Posted via the Android Central App
    11-26-2014 10:39 AM
    Two days worth of battery life with more features and a smaller battery than the Moto 360. THAT is impressive, even with the very-much-improvable software implementation.
    And here's the link, just in case Samsung Gear S review | Android Central
    aitt likes this.
    11-26-2014 10:48 AM
    When I read the article from CNET I agreed with pretty the entire article. If there ever an article bashing the Gear S this is it.

11-26-2014 10:51 AM
    They bashed it hard
    11-26-2014 10:58 AM
    I promise if it had Android Wear doing the exact same thing this would be praised.

dchandler likes this.
    11-26-2014 11:53 AM
    Or if it had the name "Pebble" on it.
    11-26-2014 12:08 PM
    I promise if it had Android Wear doing the exact same thing this would be praised.

Not necessarily. Most of the complaints the reviewer has concern the OS experience. Android Wear would be a different experience, so if they've already like that, yes, the review would then be favorable. BUT another complain is the sluggishness of the device, and even if that happened with Android Wear that would be a complaint as well. That was bashed as well with the Moto360 before the update came out, and it has been bashed on nearly every Samsung device that comes out with TouchWiz.
    11-26-2014 12:24 PM
    I have no problems with the issues that the Gear S has. I just see alot of nit picking and not touching on the real function. Every function was greeted with bashing except the battery. And even then didn't even touch base with the battery cradle.

priceslss likes this.
    11-26-2014 01:11 PM
    Some of the points were valid. The interesting part, was that he was annoyed with lag. Doesn't everything lag to a certain degree? I heard from a review that the Nexus 6 lags as well. Then again, does lag really matter? I was skeptical at first with the Gear S but, now that I have used it for 2 days, not sure I could go back to my Moto 360. Not that I am an attention ***** but, its interesting when you are sitting at a table waiting for your food and you start playing with your device and notice that people are looking over at you.

Flossy Carter on Youtube does a very detailed review on the Gear S after using it for a week. Its a long video but, he loves the device and I happen to agree with him. Its a major win. Just hope that it takes off. I noticed from my experience with the other GG watches, when they start to lose steam from Samsung, the updates and new apps start to slow
    rsmin likes this.
    11-26-2014 01:49 PM
    I think the smartwatchs are moving really fast as everyone is trying to adopt what should be the perfect smart watch. So I can see Samsung doing that. Sony has done the same too and updates are a crawl. I can only imagine the resources it takes to get these out and mass popularity. I think Samsung is on the right track and I don't think they are wrong using Tizen. I do however think they need to expand this to open to other phones.

11-26-2014 02:59 PM
    I have never been so angered by a review in my life. Ridiculous. Did you guys read the "it does too much" comment?! And complaints about all the swiping and the inclusion of messaging functionality?

If I did not have one, and didn't know better, this review would make me think the Gear S is a piece of garbage.
    priceslss and anon(5844091) like this.
    11-26-2014 07:03 PM
    Yeah I have to agree of all the reviews I've read and seen on YouTube this one makes me question if I have the same watch being reviewed. The watch I won't leave the house without now and the first smart watch I've ever worn daily.

I guess I want my device to do too much... If not I'd have an iPhone and be waiting on an apple watch.
    dchandler likes this.
    11-26-2014 08:39 PM
    My thing is how does this do too much when people complained Android doesn't do enough. To each their own. Like I said in my comments for the adticle, never thought I read an article from CNET that was more unbiased than "this". I never respond to review cause it's all subjective but this review really rub me incorrectly

11-26-2014 09:15 PM
    I have never understood how the Gear S "doing too much" is a negative?

If you look back at the reviews, comments, and complaints about the original Galaxy Gear many focused on it "didn't do enough."

Many reviewers complained because the watch required the user to always be connected to the smartphone which they said was dumb because it was just as easy to view notifications on the phone itself.

Back then, less than a year ago, they claimed if it had standalone ability it would be ideal. Samsung listened to and read many of those early comments and went back to the drawing board and produced a watch that does about everything these early naysayers were balking about.

Now what do hear? We hear the watch "does too much."

The bottom line is that the Gear S is the most robust and full featured smartwatch on the market, and clearly surpasses the limited functionality of the watches offered by Sony, LG, Motorola and Pebble.

Whereas these OEM's are given a pass for what could be described as lack luster features, Samsung is held to a much a higher standard.

I'm not married to Samsung so it doesn't matter to me, but the negative bias in their reviews of any Samsung product shines through despite attempts to conceal it.

Bottom line is that if you own a Samsung phone, and you want a real smartwatch, the only true recommendation should be to pick up the Gear S. Anything else pales in comparison.

Sammuel1973, scann1 and aitt like this.
    11-26-2014 10:13 PM
    No such thing as something doing too much..you rather it do too much than roo little
    11-27-2014 03:34 AM
    I was on Windows Phone with a Lumia 1520 and was about to get an iPhone 6 Plus because I wanted a smart watch and the Apple Watch looked to be the best coming out......then I saw the Gear S and knew that it had the most features and suited more (if not all) of my needs than any other smartwatch so my decision was easy and I came back to Android. The Gear S is what other smart watches SHOULD be aspiring to.

sent from my Galaxy s5
    Sammuel1973 likes this.
    11-27-2014 06:24 AM
    It's obvious the reviewer went into the device not wanting to like it, and has fan boy syndrome. I don't care what he thinks. The Gear S is just right for me. Would better notification syncing be nice, sure but it really doesn't take much to just clear the watch. No device is perfect, but this watch does so much right for me that I can appreciate the watch for what it is. Unlike this reviewer.
    anon(5844091) and dchandler like this.
    11-27-2014 08:31 AM
    I think the thing that bothered be off bat is all the negativity captions. Every single one of the bold outline was negative. Whatever reviews are subjective and people have their opinions. But I always believed that bias should be minimal. To each their own. I'm glad people in the comment corrected him cause there was SO much that not talked about.

11-27-2014 08:37 AM
    I didn't see bias. I see someone expecting the S to work as seamlessly as AndroidWear. I know because I was the same way. I say was, because in attempting to save a restocking fee, I'm trying hard to like the S and one thing I've realized, is that I need to think about the S more as a standalone phone than a companion screen. It makes the S easier to understand.

I don't think the S does too much. As a matter of fact I feel it doesn't do enough. I love everything it does but it needs to reflect the same notification status as the phone. 2 way sync is missing and is the last piece of the puzzle to make this watch the best in class.

scann1 likes this.
    11-27-2014 09:52 AM
    I don't understand all the love Android Wear gets. I have the LG G Watch, the original Pebble, the Samsung Gear 2 Neo, and I previously had the Gear 2.

I find the Gear 2 to be superior to them all. If I had not gotten the Droid Turbo I probably would have sold the LG G Watch.

Literally the only negative of Samsung Smart watches is that they are required to have a Samsung phone.

11-27-2014 10:53 AM
    I didn't see bias. I see someone expecting the S to work as seamlessly as AndroidWear. I know because I was the same way. I say was, because in attempting to save a restocking fee, I'm trying hard to like the S and one thing I've realized, is that I need to think about the S more as a standalone phone than a companion screen. It makes the S easier to understand.

I don't think the S does too much. As a matter of fact I feel it doesn't do enough. I love everything it does but it needs to reflect the same notification status as the phone. 2 way sync is missing and is the last piece of the puzzle to make this watch the best in class.

If you can't see it it's obvious your and Android Wear lover. I don't mean that in any rude way either. But as most has said, they don't disagree with improvements that are need all of which can and mostly will be fixed in software update. But for people who scroll reviews, you see the caption prints like

Trying to run phone-like software on your watch is a bad idea. Full stop.

It takes time to wrap your head around everything happening on this watch.

The Gear S may be powerful, but the Gear Manager is still a necessary crutch.

There's a downside to doing this much on the watch — performance suffers.

Come on you can't be blind to the bias on this review.

And let's put this into perspective. Android has been out and announced since what June? It's had time to build refine, and mature. Gear S has been out barely a month. And even still the Gear S does more than Wear is capable of. I don't disagree with notification sync, is it a big deal? Not it's fixable. Google Fit sucks in comparison to S Health.

Why not speak about the cradle charger, swipe, or Gear QWERTY options? Why not Opera for alternative mobile apps? Not Here. Conmecting Bluetooth headphones for if yoi think the speaker is not loud enough. Come on. This was a poorly written review that didn't touch on alot of the real functions of the phone. Just all the negative. Virtually everything talked about was met with negative ending.

And I never respond to reviews. I'm no Fanboy and love all versions of anything. This is poor and not informative other than this is bad and that is bad and it does too much.

How can something do too much when Android Wear is heading the same route. First time I ever said a review is a joke on here.

11-27-2014 11:24 AM
    I have never owned an android wear watch maybe that's why I cant relate to the S being so terrible.

I have owned Sony, Metawatch, Pebble and Gear 1 so to me this watch isn't only top of it's class... it is in a class of it's own.
    anon(5844091) and aitt like this.
    11-27-2014 11:25 AM
    I have never owned an android wear watch maybe that's why I cant relate to the S being so terrible.

I have owned Sony, Metawatch, Pebble and Gear 1 so to me this watch isn't only top of it's class... it is in a class of it's own.
    When I owned the TOQ even that was better than Android Wear on initial release. I like Wear mostly for its Google Now implementation, however one click to dismiss all notifications on the Gear S compared to having to dismiss each by swipe after swipe after swipe alone is beneficial.

To be honest. Google said Android Wear is the way a watch is suppose to be and I have yet to see it. Adding GPS and NFC made all early adoption outdated, wait till wifi, standalone, and data comes. Oh wait, sounds like...

11-27-2014 11:47 AM
    I have never been so angered by a review in my life. Ridiculous. Did you guys read the "it does too much" comment?! And complaints about all the swiping and the inclusion of messaging functionality?

If I did not have one, and didn't know better, this review would make me think the Gear S is a piece of garbage.
    Swiping...

Something the entire Android Wear is based on. You swipe to swipe to swipe to get something.

11-27-2014 11:52 AM
    Lol… It’s not all bad by any means. He’s just stuck in the “I used to do it this way, why do I have to learn something new” mode of thinking in some regards. He hasn’t made the JUMP to the Gear S as the GO TO DEVICE yet. He’s still thinking the Smartphone in his packet is the go to device. The Gear S makes the Smartphone in your pocket the secondary device. Let’s start by pointing out these clearly positive quotes; many of which are the first sentences of a section paragraph:

“Going in the opposite direction of the “less is more” philosophy of Android Wear, Samsung is simply going with more on the Gear S. It has a huge 2-inch curved AMOLED display, piles of features and a bevy of health-related sensors on board. Samsung even went a step further, including standalone Wifi and 3G support so you can leave your phone at home and go watch-only when needed.” (I say: THE MOST IMPORTANT FEATURE OF THIS DEVICE.)

Calling this a “smartwatch” actually sells it short a bit — the Gear S is a full smartphone on your wrist.” (I say: YOU GOT THAT RIGHT; SOMETHING NONE OF THE MAJOR PLAYERS EVEN OFFER CURRENTLY.)

“The big standout feature of the Gear S is its massive 2-inch rectangular display…” (I say: THE FANTASTIC SCREEN AND THE STANDALONE ABILITY ARE PRETTY MUCH A TIE FOR THE STANDOUT FEATURE; NEITHER OF WHICH CAN BE HAD ELSEWHERE CURRENTLY.)

“In addition to the standard accelerometer, compass and gyroscope you'll find on most smartwatches today, the Gear S goes over the top by adding a heart rate sensor, UV sensor, GPS and even a barometer. Those last two come in handy when you're away from your phone and need location information, while the other sensors help boost the S Health functionality of the Gear S.” (I say: YUP! ALL POSITIVE OVER-THE-TOP FEATURES.)

“It's clear that Tizen — Samsung's in-house, customized operating system — is the way of the future for its wearables.” (I say: NOTE TO AUTHOR – MAKE THE MENTAL JUMP TO TIZEN NOW AND DON’T LOOK BACK – EVEN YOU STATE IT IS THE WAY OF THE FUTURE.)

“Even though it isn’t running Android, Samsung has the Gear S working flawlessly with its Android devices thanks to the Gear Manager app.” (I say: BRAVO!)

“The Gear S is an incredibly interesting device that really pushes the boundaries of what can be done with a smartwatch today. It’s quite a feat to see something in a watch-like form factor with a 2-inch display be capable of doing all of the basic tasks of a smartphone, even if it does have some compromises in implementation.” (I say: SPOT ON.)

“In many ways I appreciate what Samsung is trying with the Gear S, and I know there are more than a few people out there who will see the appeal of having so much power in a tiny device on your wrist that — at least for short periods of time — doesn't need a smartphone nearby.” (I say: AGAIN, SPOT ON. I USE IT AS MY ONLY PHONE.)

With that said, the author seems to follow those clearly positive statements with somewhat negative ones or “his” version of possible improvements. I won’t go into all of those with my personal 2-cent comments, but I will say IMO he hasn’t used it long enough to make the mental JUMP to the wrist being your GO TO location, not the giant Smartphone in your pocket (if you even have one in your pocket at all). The complaint about notifications is a good example of going to the wrong place to get them. If the WRIST is where he gets the notification, then just delete them there. Even if notifications are not fully synced (yet), how hard is it to: swipe right>drag down>click Clear all?

In addition, the author seems to dwell on the negatives a bit more by choosing some of those as his highlighted comments. I’m not sure why. Even in his summary, he downplays the TWO MOST IMPORTANT FEATURES OF THE GEAR S; its’ unique first-in-class ability to standalone and the super fantastic 2” curved screen by stating, “…there are far better — and cheaper — options to consider.” as his final conclusion for those wanting to drag their Smartphone around with them too. Oh really? What other Dumbwatch has that screen? No one!

IMHO Samsung has made one of the most important JUMPS in the cell phone industry by introducing the STANDALONE Gear S with a SIM card. I don’t care what the paid reviewers say. I no longer have to carry a giant behemoth in my pocket and repeatedly pull it in and out throughout the day.

Samsung you not only hit a homerun, it’s a GRANDSLAM! Two thumbs and both big toes up!!!
    11-27-2014 01:12 PM
62 123