Running/GPS tracking apps

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Depends on what your definition of a runner is. I'm a runner and cant imagine an activity tracker watch replacing my dedicated Running/Tri computers(ie watches). You can use Nike + but since it does not work with my HRM+ it's of no use. Same goes for S-Health. I also don't get the 'not wanting to run with phone.....' I run with my Note 4 either in pocket or in a arm band - no problem.

In winter it's no great deal as I usually wear track suit trousers (pants to you Americans lol) and can have my phone in my pocket but in summer I wear shorts and have no pockets and there's no way I'm wearing one of those arm band things...they're so uncomfortable and they don't look great. I'll compare the Gear S stats against my Garmin Watch for a few long runs and if they are compatible then what's the point in still using the Garmin when I can carry one less bulky device?

sent from my Galaxy s5

xendula

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Depends on what your definition of a runner is. I'm a runner and cant imagine an activity tracker watch replacing my dedicated Running/Tri computers(ie watches). You can use Nike + but since it does not work with my HRM+ it's of no use. Same goes for S-Health. I also don't get the 'not wanting to run with phone.....' I run with my Note 4 either in pocket or in a arm band - no problem.

Definition for me is someone who runs regularly.

In regards to not wanting to run with a phone:
I've been running with my Note 2 in a frigging waist pack, because my arms are thinner than the Note2 is wide, so armbands would not work for me at all, and my running skirts/shorts/tights all have tiny zippered pockets in the back that could fit an iPhone 4 or a BB at the most. I had actually almost made my mind up to get an iPhone, then even Apple decided to get into large phones, so the Gear S is a God sent to me.

Other runners I am friends with just leave their phones in the car, or they have smaller phones, iPhones mostly.

terrain

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
Yeah - I never could get used to the fanny pack while running. It also comes down to what shorts I wear... some work fine and I don't notice my phablit and others not so much. I have been testing/evaluating s health accuracy for the last 100 miles and it's consistently off by 20% or more. Example Today I ran my "easy 15" (that's what I call this particular route) and had the following results;

S = 17.2
910 = 15.1
Fenix2 = 15.3
920XT = 15.1
Note 4 Runtastic Pro = 14.9

So while I can feel like a hero with the S if I was using it to measure my mileage it does nothing for my actual training goals. + I rely on HRM + data and I have yet to find anything on the S that works with my HRM +'s.....

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Yeah - I never could get used to the fanny pack while running. It also comes down to what shorts I wear... some work fine and I don't notice my phablit and others not so much. I have been testing/evaluating s health accuracy for the last 100 miles and it's consistently off by 20% or more. Example Today I ran my "easy 15" (that's what I call this particular route) and had the following results;

S = 17.2
910 = 15.1
Fenix2 = 15.3
920XT = 15.1

So while I can feel like a hero with the S if I was using it to measure my mileage it does nothing for my actual training goals. + I rely on HRM + data and I have yet to find anything on the S that works with my HRM +'s.....

Ouch that's a crazy difference. I heard Nike+ was generous so was gonna rely on S-Health for better accuracy. I'm gonna do a few comparisons too. My trusty old Garmin Forerunner 205, Galaxy s5 with Runkeeper and Gear S with S-Health and see how they stack up on a 10 miler tonight.

sent from my Galaxy s5

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

S = 17.2
910 = 15.1
Fenix2 = 15.3
920XT = 15.1

Very simple explanation is that your watch didn't get an accurate position yet before you started running. It's all GPS and should be close enough, IMO. Did you check the map track?

I have no problem with the S Health accuracy.

jeffruby

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Gotta make sure to disconnect from phone well before your run. Otherwise it will use your phones location for a bit, until your putts range.

terrain

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
Phone is never farther than two feet from the s. S is way off for my use. Might prove to be good enough for others purposes and goals.

Gotta make sure to disconnect from phone well before your run. Otherwise it will use your phones location for a bit, until your putts range.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Phone is never farther than two feet from the s. S is way off for my use. Might prove to be good enough for others purposes and goals.
In that case, the GPS in the watch is never used. It uses your phone's GPS instead.

TBH, the GPS reception on the watch is on the weak side due to small size but once it locked on, it is very accurate.

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Yeah if the Gear S and phone are still connected by bluetooth and you have them both with you running that's your phone GPS that's in use and inaccurate. Your Gear S gps only kicks in when the bluetooth link is disconnected

sent from my Galaxy s5

JakeRaceEgal

Dec 10, 2014
Visit site
I want to use the nike+ app and have my run stats included with S Health. Anyone know if that's possible on the Gear S? Or the reverse, use S-Health and upload the stats to Nike+?

kev83202

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
I'm a avid runner (7 marathons this year.) To me it looks like the Endomondo app is the closest to being a replacement for a running watch. Everyone should take a few min and comment on the website, they have a feature request section. We need to let them know we want stand alone features!

terrain

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
My posted results are with BT off on S. Side by side the GPS on N4 is quite a bit better than S.

In that case, the GPS in the watch is never used. It uses your phone's GPS instead.

TBH, the GPS reception on the watch is on the weak side due to small size but once it locked on, it is very accurate.

kev83202

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Tonight I ran with the gear using S health and my Garmin 310 xt. My Garmin had 9.00 miles and the Gear had 9.02, this is pretty close to perfect.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
My posted results are with BT off on S. Side by side the GPS on N4 is quite a bit better than S.
Wait for the GPS to lock on before you start the run. It needs a lot more time to lock on than a cell phone. Once locked on, it should have the same accuracy as others.

toddkageals

Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
Any updates on this? I too don't like to bring my phone and it's one of the major reasons I bought the Gear S (stand alone GPS). I would not classify myself as a serious runner but I do need accurate time/distance/pace results. GPS mapping like in Map My Run and Runtastic Pro is nice too. I do believe that the Nike App and the S health app are both installed and working. Just want to know that they are accurate. I use the data to measure my improvement so it needs to be fairly reliable.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad