Why isn't my wifi sign-in with browser not working on Galaxy gear S (OS- Tizen Browser- Opera)?

Niceguy Nomore

Dec 9, 2014
Visit site
WiFi sign-in with browser not working on Galaxy gear S (OS- Tizen; Browser- Opera)

My office WiFi is configured to open a browser on which UN/PW is to be provided to then connect to the whole internet. Works flawlessly on my Note 3/Chrome browser combo. On my Galaxy Gear S watch [Tizen OS and tweaked Opera browser (the only browser available for this device for now)], instead of the browser opening, an error message pops up saying "WiFi sign-in procedure not supported". Why can this be?

Since browser based WiFi authentication is pretty common- most hotels use this- it would be really strange for a device to miss this.

Please advise... much thanks in advance.

phadin

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Yes, it would be strange, and yet it does. Why samsung, why? The watch supports Opera browser which could be used to sign in so, why won't you allow us to connect to and use wifi that requires web browser login?!

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
It is because the browser on the watch is Opera Mini which uses a proxy server from Opera to access all web pages. As such it is not possible to interaction with any of the public/private hotspots that needs a sign-in page. Those web pages are local to the hotspot. You can't access Opera proxy server before you access the sign-in page. But if you can't access the local sign-in page, you can't get to the internet to access the Opera proxy server.

You will need full brown browser to perform this action. I learnt that last month while traveling abroad. It makes the Watch quite useless stand alone.

ougum1

Oct 26, 2014
Visit site
Re: WiFi sign-in with browser not working on Galaxy gear S (OS- Tizen; Browser- Opera)

Yeah. That's pretty messed up. I can't sign in to wi fi at work either.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Re: WiFi sign-in with browser not working on Galaxy gear S (OS- Tizen; Browser- Opera)

I leave wifi on my watch permanently off. No use for it at all. Mobile data for remote connection or BT when phone nearby.

phadin

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Are you able to keep a remote connection to a phone that is only on wifi while your watch is on the data connection? I don't have a plan on the phone that I have connected to the Gear S, and I only use the phone for notification forwarding but I can only connect to it if the watch is connected to wifi.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
My phone doesn't have data either and is on wifi. You need to turn off the wifi on the watch in order to get remote connection working reliably. If you leave it on, even if there is no connection, it will fail the remote connection, a bug in the firmware.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
faret