My Gear S charging cradle doesn't fit anymore, had to send all to Samsung Support to resolve

Ed Tranosky

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
It has always been very difficult to clip the charging cradle on the gear s. but all of a sudden yesterday, it will no longer fit at all. So, I was on with support, and they provided me with shipping label ( ups 2nd day ) and i sent them the watch and charging cradle. They are most likely replace both items. The charging cradle, while it holds it own charge, is not the best thought out device, because it shouldn't be that hard to clip it on!!

aitt

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Should just had taped it on... I kid.

I hate the cradle design.

Posted via the Android Central App

aitt

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Wish the charger was made on the watch like cell phones.

Wireless charging the best way. I actually like the cradle I just hate the way it's built. But the extra charger makes it definitely worth it.

Jim Buono

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
I put my charger on my Gear S last night just before bed. The light came on the cradle, as always. When I got up this morning the watch was dead. Took the cradle off, put it back on, the blue light came on. Inserted the mini usb plug and the S started charging from zero. A couple of hours later it was fully charged and working. Go figure. The cradle attachment is not Samsung's best engineering effort.

As far as attaching the cradle, the method that works best for me is: line up the cradle on the back of the watch. Hold the cradle in place with the right thumb pressing against the lower right corner. Use the left thumb to press against the upper left corner. Cradles snaps right into place.

dorrien12

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
I tried charging with it on and it kept shutting off, he got a little hot as well. Waited for it to cool off then it charged fine. Will be watching the next few times.

xendula

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
There are slight variations: with the Tmo Gear S I had, it was difficult to figure out when the charger was connected correctly. There was no real click.
The ATT version I have is easier to connect.
I doubt it's a carrier specific thing, but what this tells me is that manufacturing must be very precise, otherwise alignment is just off enough to cause issues.

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
There are slight variations: with the Tmo Gear S I had, it was difficult to figure out when the charger was connected correctly. There was no real click.
The ATT version I have is easier to connect.
I doubt it's a carrier specific thing, but what this tells me is that manufacturing must be very precise, otherwise alignment is just off enough to cause issues.

The little indicator LED on the charger lights when it connects.

Posted via Android Central App

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
Mine was stiff at first, and the lining up helps. Now, it just clicks in.. I can imagine something happening if it is not lined up and just regular force is used. IMO, something could go amiss. .

Samsung should fix the problem with the OP's Gear S.

Let us know how this turns out...

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Mine had a similar issue with the charger last night. Verizon is covering it. Basically, the plastic hook it the back of the charging cradle broke and that is why mine would not stay attached. So, till mine comes in, I have to use a zip tie or rubber band to hold it in place while it charges. I have owned all the generations of Galaxy Gear and this design is by far the worst.

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
My charging cradle no longer will stay connected to the watch.

Everything was working fine until last night when I went to connect the cradle and was shocked it would not attach?

I will work with Samsung to get it replaced or repaired, but I am a bit disappointed that after only 2 months of use to be experiencing a hardware failure. :-(

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I decided to buy another cradle from Amazon. I found it for $20 with Prime shipping. It will be here on Monday.

I was going to contact Samsung product support, and still may do so, but I decided to spend $20 and buy another one then deal with the hassle of sending my watch in and waiting for I don't know how long to get it back.

dorrien12

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
I had to swap watches, didn't have any problems with my first cradle. But this second one, doesn't act right. It lines up but I have to be careful with it, it looks like one of the pins are bent down slightly.

clietreo

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I decided to buy another cradle from Amazon. I found it for $20 with Prime shipping. It will be here on Monday.

I was going to contact Samsung product support, and still may do so, but I decided to spend $20 and buy another one then deal with the hassle of sending my watch in and waiting for I don't know how long to get it back.

I'm real curious to see how this works out.

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm real curious to see how this works out.

Once the new one arrives I'll provide an update.

The bad part of all of this is that there is no other way to charge the watch. If the cradle breaks or is damaged the watch is rendered useless.

It's the weekend, so as a backup I'm using my original Galaxy Gear. It's kind of a bummer not having my Gear S.

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
Once the new one arrives I'll provide an update.

The bad part of all of this is that there is no other way to charge the watch. If the cradle breaks or is damaged the watch is rendered useless.

It's the weekend, so as a backup I'm using my original Galaxy Gear. It's kind of a bummer not having my Gear S.

Do you have a link to the $20 charger?

I only see some for $50+.

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Do you have a link to the $20 charger?

I only see some for $50+.

I am so sorry and feel so silly.

I did in fact order the wrong cradle. I was so excited to have purchased a cradle for $20 that I didn't pay full attention to what I had ordered. I mistakenly ordered the cradle for the original Gear. :-(

I have since ordered the correct cradle for the Gear S. Since I'm prime member the wrong cradle has already shipped so I'll just send it back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabrieldavis