My Gear S charging cradle doesn't fit anymore, had to send all to Samsung Support to resolve

dorrien12

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
I am so sorry and feel so silly.

I did in fact order the wrong cradle. I was so excited to have purchased a cradle for $20 that I didn't pay full attention to what I had ordered. I mistakenly ordered the cradle for the original Gear. :-(

I have since ordered the correct cradle for the Gear S. Since I'm prime member the wrong cradle has already shipped so I'll just send it back.

Posted via the Android Central App

Samsung now has the cradles on their site. If you register the gear s with them don't they still give out the 50% off coupons for accessories?

If so, I can buy 2 cradles for the price of 1. I was hoping they had the replacement bands as well.

johnboo21

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
Samsung now has the cradles on their site. If you register the gear s with them don't they still give out the 50% off coupons for accessories?

If so, I can buy 2 cradles for the price of 1. I was hoping they had the replacement bands as well.

Samsung might have them on their site for $29.99 but I've tried to order one several times and they are always on back order. The only accessory they have on their site for Gear S and they don't have them. And if you order from Amazon they only have the white one for $49.99

carldc

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site
Samsung might have them on their site for $29.99 but I've tried to order one several times and they are always on back order. The only accessory they have on their site for Gear S and they don't have them. And if you order from Amazon they only have the white one for $49.99

Just checked Amazon and they'll have the black one back in stock this week. But guess what... it'll be $59.99!

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I ordered the one for $49.99. I ordered the white one although my watch is black.

But I figure since it's just the charging cradle the color doesn't matter.

xendula

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Ever since I started following this thread, I am super crazy careful when attaching and detaching my Gear S from the cradle. If this place is any indication, the cradle has quite a high failure rate :(

Having to spend money on a second cradle due to QC or design issues would not sit well with me. I'm curious how your dealings with Samsung customer service will go, DAS.

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Ever since I started following this thread, I am super crazy careful when attaching and detaching my Gear S from the cradle. If this place is any indication, the cradle has quite a high failure rate :(

Having to spend money on a second cradle due to QC or design issues would not sit well with me. I'm curious how your dealings with Samsung customer service will go, DAS.

I did not realize it, but you do have to be very careful with attaching and detaching the cradle.

At each end of the cradle there are clips that are designed to allow it to snap onto the watch. After further inspection I discovered the bottom clip had broken off. If one or both clips breaks, the cradle will not attach.

In my case I suspect it broke when I detached it in the morning, and I just didn't realize it until the evening when I went to reattach it.

xendula

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
I did not realize it, but you do have to be very careful with attaching and detaching the cradle.

At each end of the cradle there are clips that are designed to allow it to snap onto the watch. After further inspection I discovered the bottom clip had broken off. If one or both clips breaks, the cradle will not attach.

In my case I suspect it broke when I detached it in the morning, and I just didn't realize it until the evening when I went to reattach it.

I sometimes have to pull pretty hard to get the Gear S off the charging cradle. Could you theoretically fix the Gear S to the cradle with a rubber band, like the OP, or are the contacts now not even touching the watch any more?

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I sometimes have to pull pretty hard to get the Gear S off the charging cradle. Could you theoretically fix the Gear S to the cradle with a rubber band, like the OP, or are the contacts now not even touching the watch any more?

I read what the OP said about using a rubber band or tie wrap, but I have not found that method to be a viable option or work with any success.

Posted via Android Central App

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
I like to see a good resolution on this. Like another poster stated, I wouldn't be too happy to have to BUY or even NEED another charging dock after only a couple months of use. I noticed that you really have to be careful in lining up the dock. IMO, if it is not lined up, and just a tad over force is used, there might be the chance of something getting damaged. Just trying to figure out how this could happen. There has to be a reason.. Like another poster stated, I am real careful on the connecting and unconnecting the dock. I will only use but so much force, mainly when connecting up. If it does not click in with normal force, I re position it, until it clicks in with normal force. Knocking on wood, so far this has worked for me.

Hoping Samsung stands behind this and replaces the non working dock or Gear free of charge.

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
According to Samsung, and after checking through the details of the warranty, this was the official response I received:

"I should inform you that Samsung provides a 12 month warranty for devices from the date for purchase. Unfortunately, your situation places the device cradle under physical damage. Physical damages are not covered under the Samsung warranty. In this case, you will need to purchase a new cradle."

While I am very disappointed in this response I suspected this is what they would say. I went ahead and ordered my new cradle, and it according to Amazon it should be here today. By the way, I did return the wrong one I ordered by mistake.

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I got an extra from samsung for $29.99 I just wanted an extra and they only are selling the black but color does not matter when you have a dead watch right?
SEARCH SAMSUNG

Everytime I tried to order the cradle from Samsung direct the checkout screen indicates the item is "back ordered." How did you order one? You may just become my new best friend!

priceslss

Nov 15, 2014
Visit site
Everytime I tried to order the cradle from Samsung direct the checkout screen indicates the item is "back ordered." How did you order one? You may just become my new best friend!
I didn't do anything special lol it was here in less than a week. I ordered during the holiday shopping period had it before Christmas...

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
According to Samsung, and after checking through the details of the warranty, this was the official response I received:

"I should inform you that Samsung provides a 12 month warranty for devices from the date for purchase. Unfortunately, your situation places the device cradle under physical damage. Physical damages are not covered under the Samsung warranty. In this case, you will need to purchase a new cradle."

While I am very disappointed in this response I suspected this is what they would say. I went ahead and ordered my new cradle, and it according to Amazon it should be here today. By the way, I did return the wrong one I ordered by mistake.

In other words, Samsung said "you broke it(physical damage), and that is not covered under warranty"??

Since that dock is a tough nut to put on/off they could have offered you a big discount or any discount on the new dock.. Now, we all know what we are up against with that dock connection now..

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
In other words, Samsung said "you broke it(physical damage), and that is not covered under warranty"??

Since that dock is a tough nut to put on/off they could have offered you a big discount or any discount on the new dock.. Now, we all know what we are up against with that dock connection now..

Indeed! Users will need to be very careful attaching and detaching the cradle.

xendula

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site

This is a very disappointing answer from them. Considering we are all early adopters, you would think that they have an interest in making things right at this crucial stage.

I for one know that if my cradle breaks and they don't stand behind their products, I will not be upgrading to a Samsung phone or watch again, out of principle, and no matter how much I love my Gear S.

Every time I connect and disconnect the cradle now I am ready to pass out. This thing should not be so darn delicate.

scann1

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
My Gear S charging cradle broke last night, I called tmobile and they are shipping me out a new one it should be here Tuesday. I only paid $11.99 for 3 to 5 day shipping. I purchased my Gear S through tmobile I'll update this post once I receive the new cradle.

Last edited: