How to install Samsung Gear S app without Samsung mobile?

krazyatom

Trusted Member
Jan 4, 2015
Visit site
Hello guys,

I just purchased my Samsung Gear S tmobile recently and I realized that you can't install any apps without Samsung mobile.
I have Iphone 5s and is there any way to install app? Can I install app by connecting to a pc?

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
No. At the minimum, you need an Android phone. With Samsung phones, you just install Gear Manager and go from there. With non-Samsung Androids, you need to do some hackry to load the Gear Manager (instructions can be found in many places).

krazyatom

Trusted Member
Jan 4, 2015
Visit site
That's very disappointing. It would be really sucks to borrow Samsung device every time if I want to install something. I can't buy Samsung phone just to use this smart watch. I really like Samsung Gear S, but I may I to send it back ugh.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Without a Samsung phone, you can't even set up and use the watch. Let alone install apps. Since you have an iPhone, your only choice of smart watch is the upcoming iWatch, IMO. Most smart watches today require an Android phone.

Paul Capel III

Jul 15, 2015
Visit site
Not entirely accurate regarding the setting up of the device. You can in fact setup the device to work without a Samsung phone. All that you have to do is tap the pic of the phone approximately 25 times in the upper left corner on the initial setup screen, then long press the phone when the device asks about Bluetooth. The device will activate at that point. (Provided that you have already installed an active SIM card).;)

BarryH_GEG

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
I have Iphone 5s and is there any way to install app?

Do a Google search for "iPhone and Gear S." There's a long thread on another forum that talks about making the two work together. What you can do with the two is very limited.

Many of the apps for the Gear need to be installed via a Samsung phone that has Gear Manager running on it. Once installed some are independent and don't require a phone (EG: calculator, compass). Others only work when connected to a Samsung phone via BT or remotely.

People using non-Samsung Android phones pretty much get notifications and some of those allow responses. Other apps (EG: e-mail, scheduling) don't work at all unless you use the corresponding Samsung app on a connected Samsung phone running Gear Manager. The short of it: to get full functionality from the Gear you need a Samsung phone and ideally use Samsung's apps on it. The further away from that you get the less functionality you'll have on your Gear. Someone said it above, you're an iPhone user so should get an iWatch. People using non-Samsung Android phones or that are all-in with Google's app eco-system should get a Android Wear device. Kind of like why you don't use a screw driver to drive a nail.

krazyatom

Trusted Member
Jan 4, 2015
Visit site
Do a Google search for "iPhone and Gear S." There's a long thread on another forum that talks about making the two work together. What you can do with the two is very limited.

Many of the apps for the Gear need to be installed via a Samsung phone that has Gear Manager running on it. Once installed some are independent and don't require a phone (EG: calculator, compass). Others only work when connected to a Samsung phone via BT or remotely.

People using non-Samsung Android phones pretty much get notifications and some of those allow responses. Other apps (EG: e-mail, scheduling) don't work at all unless you use the corresponding Samsung app on a connected Samsung phone running Gear Manager. The short of it: to get full functionality from the Gear you need a Samsung phone and ideally use Samsung's apps on it. The further away from that you get the less functionality you'll have on your Gear. Someone said it above, you're an iPhone user so should get an iWatch. People using non-Samsung Android phones or that are all-in with Google's app eco-system should get a Android Wear device. Kind of like why you don't use a screw driver to drive a nail.

Thanks for your reply! That was like 6 months ago and I currently have iPhone 6 but no more gear s :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Transitspirit

Jan 13, 2017
Visit site
Hello, i have a problem with connecting my gear s device onto my phone and im hoping someone here can help me, i have a Samsung phone and have recently gotten a Samsung s device, i downloaded the "samsung gear" app and when i try to pair my device it tells me to check if my phone is compatible, not letting me connect the device, I wanna connect to the app but im having trouble, Please help someone?

wjhamel

Nov 19, 2017
Visit site
Without a Samsung phone, you can't even set up and use the watch. Let alone install apps. Since you have an iPhone, your only choice of smart watch is the upcoming iWatch, IMO. Most smart watches today require an Android phone.

Your statement is patently false. The Gear smartwatches don't require a "Samsung Phone" of any sort. All you need is a phone running the appropriate version of android.

heatheriac

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
Your statement is patently false. The Gear smartwatches don't require a "Samsung Phone" of any sort. All you need is a phone running the appropriate version of android.

That is not necessarily true. I installed Lineage OS on my Galasy S5 and lost the ability to use Samsung Gear software through Google Play (the app notes 'unauthorized modifications') and refuses to run the software. And going to Samsung's link (apps.samsung.com/gear) to get the software for non-Galaxy devices takes me to that exact Google Play listing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21