I'm thinking of buying the Gear S, but have some questions

GANote3

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
I have a Galaxy note 3 and the note pro tablet on Verizon. They both go with me most places. I use the note pro a lot and could leave my phone at home if the Gear S will do what I think it will do.

I would like to leave my phone at home especially on days when someone is watching my kids as I have not had a land line in years, they could use my note 3 as a house phone. I would use the note 3 to activate the Gear S, but I would like to not pair it to the phone so that it will use it's own number. That way if someone needs to get in touch with me from home, they can call me on the Gear s. I have a couple of different bluetooth headphones that I could pair to the watch.

Is the above doable, or once the note 3 is used to activate the Gear S will it use the phones phone number etc?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Yup, the Gear S has its own SIM card, therefore, needs its own phone number and corresponding data/voice plan to work. It's not a full-fledged phone, but it does have standalone phone functions. Since that's the case, then why not just get an extra line and phone for your home for emergencies?

GANote3

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
I like the idea of the smaller watch to wear. I haven't seen a reason to get a smart watch yet, but with the built in sim, but with the built in sim I thought it may be the first watch for me.

Posted via Android Central App

GANote3

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
I have read a lot of good things about the watch, but I don't like the idea of having to have it and the phone on me and it says you can leave your phone at home.

Posted via Android Central App

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Yes. You need the phone to do the initial set up, but once it's set, the phone and watch can act as separate entities.