I'm thinking about making the move now that I've seen it in person and it isn't as "crazy big" as I thought it was.

Was it worth the switch? Do you miss the camera if you had the Gear 2? I don't think I would be using the Gear S as a standalone phone. I would just buy it with no contract and use it the same as my Gear 2.

Thoughts from those who have made the switch?
    02-06-2015 10:37 AM
    02-06-2015 10:46 AM
    You might want to read this thread: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...ch-gear-s.html
    Thanks for the heads up. It seems my main concern (the camera) is missed by most. I wonder if they make an S2 would it include a camera?
    02-06-2015 11:30 AM
    I don't think the camera will come back but that is an uneducated guess based on the way things are going.

Frankly I would think an external camera, like one mounted on your shirt, or the HTC handheld would be much easier to work with off of the watch screen.
    02-06-2015 12:58 PM
    I had all the Gear series and then switched to the Moto 360 and then went to the Gear S. At first I did not like the Moto 360 however, as I started to get used to it more, I liked it. Then I made the switch the Gear S. Like you, I opted to get the data plan and buy it outright with no contract. I figured that in a years time or less, they will come out with the next version of the Gear S. After all, how many version of the Gear did they roll out within 12 months? Did not seem to make sense entering into a 2 year contract with the device.

I do not miss the camera at all. To be honest, I really did not find it that useful. I used it about 3 or 4 times since I owned it.

The data connection for the Gear S has been great. There has been a couple times where the battery was low on the phone so, I left the phone on charge and walked out the door. There has been other times where I walk my dogs and leave my phone behind knowing that the phone calls will be forwarded to the watch. Battery life is also wayyy better than the other Gear versions along with the Moto 360. There are also a lot of apps available and the screen is really nice on the Gear S.

When I walk around in public, I have been asked if this is the new Apple watch.
    Sammuel1973 likes this.
    02-07-2015 09:01 PM
    I liked having the camera on my Gear, but I don't miss it as much with what the Gear S has to offer. I ended going with the 2 year contract for $249. Buying it outright was $399. Buying it at $249 with a contact was almost about the same as buying it outright. Also by having the cellular contract feature, I'm able to use it without having to carry my phone with me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    02-08-2015 02:44 PM
    I'm actually thinking about going back to the Gear 2 for the camera.
    02-09-2015 11:01 PM
    I'm actually thinking about going back to the Gear 2 for the camera.
    Ha, I went back to the Gear 2 from the Gear S for a week for the reason of the camera, but went back to the Gear S, and sold the Gear 2 (and Note Edge). I just love the ability to do so much more on the Gear S on my wrist, and the standalone feature on the Gear S is the real motivation to return to it, for me.
    02-10-2015 10:52 AM
    I've had the Gear S since November, and I ended up buying a Gear 1 a few weeks ago because of the camera, and rooted & flashed Android on it, so I could install regular Android apps on it. Never owned a Gear watch before the S, so I went totally backwards, but kept both. That way, when I go running, I have my Android apps and camera on one wrist and track my run on the other wrist, still smaller than lugging my phablet around with me... In a sexy fanny pack, which is what I had to do before.

Amazon sells the lime Gear 1 new for a bit over $100. Guess people must really hate that color!
    02-24-2015 05:07 PM
    Well....I had the Gear2 and then sold it and bought the Gear S. I did that because of stand alone capability and the awesome screen. I don't miss the camera as it was fairly crappy and difficult to use on a watch anyway.
    02-25-2015 12:41 PM