How can I get text messages to go through on my Watch?

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Text Messages On Watch

I setup my watch for the first time tonight and I have it paired with my Note Edge. Only problem that I have is that I don't get text messages on the watch when they come through on the phone. Is it possible to get the messages to show up on the watch as well?

Obviously messages will show up if I use the watch as a stand alone device sent to it's own number but not from the phones number. I have the correct messaging app selected for notifications in the gear app on the phone.

pre1561

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Re: Text Messages On Watch

Do you have the Gear S notifications app installed? If you do check the settings in the notifications app.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

alan44

Feb 2, 2015
Visit site

related but slightly off thread question:

I'm confused about the stock samsung messaging app on the watch - i presumed it to be like for text messages but it seems to show up all sorts of missed call notifications and stuff - i would have thought they would go to the phone log - i guess I'm must be doing something wrong in the settings

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

no i think thats a standard Samsung freebie??

I'm not seeing anything like that then. There is the Gear S app that I had to download in order to setup the watch. That has a built in notifications section. I do have Google Messenger selected in there but the watch does not notify me of messages.

kieso

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site

I figured out my problem. In the Gear S app, click on Notifications and turn off smart relay.

That may work but if you go to the gear app then notifications then manage notifications. You can then choose which apps to get notifications from including texts. I've said the word notifications one too many times today :)

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

That may work but if you go to the gear app then notifications then manage notifications. You can then choose which apps to get notifications from including texts. I've said the word notifications one too many times today :)
I already had it set to do that but they never came through.

I actually had to pair the watch with my Note 4 instead of my Note Edge to get things working 100%. The reason why is because pairing with another device reset the watch.

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site

I already had it set to do that but they never came through.

I actually had to pair the watch with my Note 4 instead of my Note Edge to get things working 100%. The reason why is because pairing with another device reset the watch.
Off topic. What are your thoughts on your Gear S with your Edge vs your Note 4? Is it better, different, redundant, etc? I sold my Edge, but not sure if it was the right decision; I reverted to my Note 4.

toddkageals

Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
NG X,
You seem to be on the same track as I am in terms of what you want the watch to do. I've only had mine a few days. I wonder if you have found a way to do any of the following:

1. When I leave my phone in the car (no wi-fi, no BT), phone calls get forwarded to my watch but only after it would have gone to voicemail on the phone. I'd like both devices to ring simultaneously like they do when on BT. Found a way to make that happen?
2. Same situation as #1 (no wi-fi, no BT), I want text messages sent to the phone to be relayed to the watch. This only seems to work when on BT. Of course text messages would come through if they were sent to the watch phone number but I want it to come through if they are sent to the phone's number. Found a way to make that work?

Thanks for the help.

Todd

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
NG X,
You seem to be on the same track as I am in terms of what you want the watch to do. I've only had mine a few days. I wonder if you have found a way to do any of the following:

1. When I leave my phone in the car (no wi-fi, no BT), phone calls get forwarded to my watch but only after it would have gone to voicemail on the phone. I'd like both devices to ring simultaneously like they do when on BT. Found a way to make that happen?
2. Same situation as #1 (no wi-fi, no BT), I want text messages sent to the phone to be relayed to the watch. This only seems to work when on BT. Of course text messages would come through if they were sent to the watch phone number but I want it to come through if they are sent to the phone's number. Found a way to make that work?

Thanks for the help.

Todd

Your #2 was a biggy for me. I think it was the beautiful NexusGirl who said that works if you sign into your Samsung account. Can you verify?

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

Not possible. Your carrier will only ring one phone at a time. You can manually setup immediate forwarding which will right your watch but never ring your phone and you will have to manually switch back and forth.
That should work out of box as long as you enabled Connect Remotely in Gear Manager and your watch has data plan so that you can connect remotely to the phone (the phone needs to remain connected to the internet and signed on to the Samsung account).

toddkageals

Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
Not possible. Your carrier will only ring one phone at a time. You can manually setup immediate forwarding which will right your watch but never ring your phone and you will have to manually switch back and forth.

That should work out of box as long as you enabled Connect Remotely in Gear Manager and your watch has data plan so that you can connect remotely to the phone (the phone needs to remain connected to the internet and signed on to the Samsung account).

How do I manually forward from my Galaxy S5? I'll see if I had the remote connection setup. Actually, when I was testing it, I believe I had BT and WiFi off so that I could simulate being left in the car while going on a run. When you said it had to remain connected to the internet, does that not include through cellular data? I tried this today but the text messages were not forwarded.

toddkageals

Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
Thought of another issue. When a call gets forwarded to my watch, I really want the voicemail to go back to my phone if I don't answer it but it goes to the watch's phone number. Anyway to fix that?

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
How do I manually forward from my Galaxy S5? I'll see if I had the remote connection setup. Actually, when I was testing it, I believe I had BT and WiFi off so that I could simulate being left in the car while going on a run. When you said it had to remain connected to the internet, does that not include through cellular data? I tried this today but the text messages were not forwarded.

The forwarding code depends on who is your carrier. GSM and CDMA carriers use different codes. You need google it.

Cell data connection is practically the only viable option for Gear S to connect. It has a bug that if use wifi, both your phone and watch needs to be on the same wifi network. Worse, if you leave wifi enabled in the watch, it will often fail to establish connection with cell data. So, leave wifi off on the watch. It is useless (only needs it when you want to download offline maps).

When you remotely connected, your watch will show Connected Remotely in the status screen (unless you are using a Verizon version which doesn't show anything). When this happens, your text will be forwarded to your watch and you can reply the text from watch as well.

toddkageals

Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
It looks like "Connect Remotely" is enabled and that I AM signed it to the Samsung account on the phone. Not sure why text messages did not come through. I'll give it a day in the real world tomorrow to see if it works now.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Does your watch show Connected Remotely? That's the only way to receive any notification including text message.

There are many things that could block the notifications from showing up on your remote connected watch:
1. You didn't enable "Connect Remotely" on Gear Manager
2. You didn't turn off 'Smart Relay' in Gear Manager and you are using the phone when text messages come in. It is on by default. If the Gear Manager sense you are using the phone (not sure how), it won't send any notification to your watch.
3. Your watch didn't connect remotely to the phone. The only way to tell is see the status screen on the watch and see if it show Connected Remotely vs Gear Only. Again, Verzon's version of Watch doesn't not show this status (not sure if the new firmware added it) so I'm not sure how you can check.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol