How can I keep my Group Messages from separating?

toddkageals

Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
Group Messaging Question

Hello,

I just got my Gear S (had a Gear 2 for a few months). I just noticed that when I receive a group message, the gear separates the messages by sender as opposed to the way the phone groups the messages into a conversation. Is there a fix for this? I just want the watch to do it the same way the phone does it. Love the watch by the way!

Thanks

Todd

toddkageals

Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
Re: Group Messaging Question

Am I the only one with this issue or nobody has an answer? Maybe I did not describe it well? Is anyone receiving group messages that have the texts from multiple people grouped or does it list them like they are all separate conversations?

toddkageals

Feb 22, 2015
Visit site

This is VERY annoying as you can't follow the conversation.....I can't see why this would not be just like on a Samsung phone. This has got to be a software glitch. Maybe I should have asked if anyone receives group messages that are NOT separated?

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

Group messages are pure software tricks. So it is depending the messaging app to display them in a way you like. You can always write your own app :)

toddkageals

Feb 22, 2015
Visit site

I'm using the messaging app that came on the watch.....maybe there is a better one? I'm surprised the built in app would not be able to display the group messages properly. A Samsung phone handles this automatically. I'm going to guess this is something someone forgot! I'm sure this is doable on the watch. As for writing my own App.....yeah right.....I can't even figure out how to connect my watch to my wi-fi networks because there is no way to enter the passwords! Don't think I will be writing my on app anytime soon!

InfamousUnknown

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site

Assuming your issue with passwords is the symbols you can enter the passwords by using svoice. Saying "equal sign" if you need a = etc.

That said, wifi is not generally very useful for the gear s, stick with cell or BT.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

I'm using the messaging app that came on the watch.....maybe there is a better one? I'm surprised the built in app would not be able to display the group messages properly. A Samsung phone handles this automatically. I'm going to guess this is something someone forgot! I'm sure this is doable on the watch. As for writing my own App.....yeah right.....I can't even figure out how to connect my watch to my wi-fi networks because there is no way to enter the passwords! Don't think I will be writing my on app anytime soon!

What I meant is that we all know the apps on watches are all bare minimum in features compare to phone counter parts. Group messages are not exactly easy to implement (Apple uses one way to send out group messages while others use another way) due to lack of standards. I won't be surprised that it can't group messages together. There is nothing wrong with your watch, nor you are missing anything. You expected too much from the watch and Samsung's capability to deliver capable software.

toddkageals

Feb 22, 2015
Visit site

Assuming your issue with passwords is the symbols you can enter the passwords by using svoice. Saying "equal sign" if you need a = etc.

That said, wifi is not generally very useful for the gear s, stick with cell or BT.

No... that's not the issue....I never get a "field" that requests a password and I KNOW all my work networks require a user name and password. There's nowhere to enter that information that I have been able to find.

toddkageals

Feb 22, 2015
Visit site

Well.... that would seem like a fairly basic function. MOST of the messages I receive ARE group messages and the lack of ability to handle this makes the conversation practically impossible to follow. Hopefully this is a feature they can add in the near future.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

TBH, I'd like to see they truly implement some decent sync between watch and phone, not just some simple notification system. Right now, I have to manually delete emails/notifications from both the watch and phone separately. That is really annoying in these day of age. My emails are synced across all my devices, tablets, and PCs. I delete email in one place, it get deleted from all devices. Just not with Watch. What a shame.

InfamousUnknown

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site

Ok, there are 2 different things here.
1) A true wifi password (such as WPA)
2) A "Open" wifi network where the first time you open a browser the router requires you to fill in an ID and password.

The 1st should work. The second will generally not work. I'm told you can use Opera Mini browser, but that is actually using a relayed browser off of a server somewhere, so it can't reach that server to prompt you for the credentials.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

Ok, there are 2 different things here.
1) A true wifi password (such as WPA)
2) A "Open" wifi network where the first time you open a browser the router requires you to fill in an ID and password.

The 1st should work. The second will generally not work. I'm told you can use Opera Mini browser, but that is actually using a relayed browser off of a server somewhere, so it can't reach that server to prompt you for the credentials.
Wrong thread, bro.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

Most work place wifi networks don't rely on wifi password (WPA or else) because that is too weak for enterprise security. They rely on secondary security like VPN or other much more stringent measures where the watch most likely won't support. It definitely doesn't support the login web page that most public wifi networks do because the Opera Mini browser can't be used for that.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci