Watchstyler Issues

Blowndakrt

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
Hello, I am hoping someone can give me some insight to an issue I am having with Watch Styler and my new Gear S.

I can't get any pre-loaded watch themes to work with my Gear S. All I get is the basic "Create A Theme" message. I haven't had a chance to start creating some of my own watch faces yet for this watch.

Now, I also have a Gear 2 Neo and when I connect to it, I can use the other Watch Styler app (Watch Styler Gear) to change the faces on that watch. So I don't have an issue with that watch. And I have made sure that the when I connect to the Gear S that the Watch Styler for Gear S is what is loading.

I first thought that there might be a conflict between the 2 watches, but they will only allow me to connect one at a time. And when they connect, they both show the correct Watchstyler app in the Home Screen Styler. Even uninstalling the Watch Styler Gear app, did not make a difference.

I have tried to uninstall and re-install the Watch Styler Gear S app, but still no change.

Does anyone have any other suggestions on things I could try?

Thanks

Shawn

DonShock

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site
I apologize if some of what I am about to say seems redundant, since it appears you already know how to get Watch Styler working on your Gear Neo. But the problems you are describing with the Gear S appear similar to some of the confusion I was experiencing when trying to use Watch Styler for the first time and went to load new themes. Part of the solution came when I read another post on this forum which mentioned the Gear Faces website as a source of premade themes. It's a great resource if, like me, you lack the artistic touch.

Most of my confusion arose because of how the Gear Manager and the Watch Styler apps work with each other and it took me a bit to figure out what worked by trial and error. It's confusing because it seems the Home Screen Styler within the Gear Manager app will trigger a part of the Watch Styler app when you click the settings icon, but it doesn't actually open the entire Watch Styler app to give you full functionality. You actually have to open the Watch Styler app from the app drawer to get the full functionality, including loading new themes. I'm no programmer so I don't know this is what's actually happening, but it's how it appears to be working based on my observations.

Here's the steps I used: (skip #1-3 if you just want the stock ones)

1. Go to the Gear Faces website and download any WS themes that catch your fancy.

2. Copy the downloaded files to your phone.

3. Open the Watch Styler app and use the Load Themes button to access and load the downloaded themes into the WS app. Since I downloaded the files to my phone, I used the My Files option. But you could probably use the Wi-Fi Direct or Beam Share options to combine steps 2 and 3 to get the files directly from your computer or another phone.

4. In the Watch Styler app, click on the desired theme to select it. Or use the New Theme button to create your own from scratch.

5. Once selected in the Watch Styler app, you can click Apply to put that theme in the list of available ones to use from within the Gear Manager settings for Watch Styler. You also have the option to Edit, Preview, Share or Delete the theme at this point.

6. Go to Gear Manager, then Home Screen Styler, then Clock, select WatchStylerGear3, then click the Settings icon.

7. The Settings screen that appears is very similar to the Theme screen in the Watch Styler app and can confuse you into thinking you are in the Watch Styler app where things should be editable. But you are not, it is only a selection point for themes previously sent from the Watch Styler app to the Gear Manager app. If you just loaded a different theme in Step #5 from what was previously loaded, you will see both the currently applied theme and the theme that "will be" applied. Otherwise, this will be the point where you can select a different theme to use for the "will be" applied selection.

8. Now another confusing step, that "will be" applied means just that: it "will be" applied the next time you switch to the Watch Styler as your Clock Type on the Gear S itself. It DOES NOT change your currently applied Watch Styler theme if you are currently using Watch Styler as your current Clock Type. To get the "will be" applied theme to load, you must change the Clock Type on the Gear S to a different Clock Type, let it change, then change it back to the Watch Styler. At this point, the "will be" applied theme will finally load from the phone to the Gear S and be usable.

I apologize if I have been even more confusing. I know I can tend to include too much detail in my instructions for others. But I am hoping you can follow along well enough to do the switching back and forth between the Gear Manager app, the Watch Styler app, and the Gear S itself to successfully get new themes loaded. Even after doing it several times, I still tend to lose track of where I am in the process. But the big picture way I think of it is this: Use the Watch Styler app alone to make changes to the styles you can use. The Gear Manager app can only see the finished product and deliver them, one at a time, to the Gear S. And finally, the Gear S only can store one Watch Styler theme at any time and asks the Gear Manager app for a new theme only when the Clock Type is changed from a different clock type to the Watch Styler.

Blowndakrt

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
Thank You for the detailed explanation.

I believe I am follow these instructions to the letter, but the watch does not respond at all. I bring up the Watch Styler app, select one of the pre-loaded watch faces. Then I click on apply.

Then I go into the Gear manager and select Home Screen Styler. Then I move over to Clocks tab and scroll down to the bottom where the Watch Styler icon is listed. Then I select that, but nothing happens. I do not get a loading icon. All I get is the "Create a theme" message and then the very basic 24hr clock below that message.

Thanks

Shawn

karsdroid

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Thank You for the detailed explanation.

I believe I am follow these instructions to the letter, but the watch does not respond at all. I bring up the Watch Styler app, select one of the pre-loaded watch faces. Then I click on apply.

Then I go into the Gear manager and select Home Screen Styler. Then I move over to Clocks tab and scroll down to the bottom where the Watch Styler icon is listed. Then I select that, but nothing happens. I do not get a loading icon. All I get is the "Create a theme" message and then the very basic 24hr clock below that message.

Thanks

Shawn

try selecting the watch face from the settings next to the watch styler icon under the clocks tab instead of from the watch styler app....once selected if it doesn't load to the watch try selecting an entirely different watch face...let it load....and then go back and select watchstyler again.

karsdroid

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
also as a tip....i like to see my watchstyler face whenever i move my wrist so i change the setting so that "the last screen shows" on wake up.

Blowndakrt

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
Well I believe I have found the issue.

For some reason, when I uninstalled the Watch Styler app for my Gear 2, it did not fully uninstall. For whatever reason, I needed to be linked to my Gear 2 to uninstall it completely. I noticed it was still installed when I went into App Manager and seen it was still there.

It took 3 tries because it kept coming back as "unable to uninstall program" errors. But once it was finally uninstalled, I was able to the pre-loaded watch faces to load to my Gear S. So it must be some sort of program conflict between the two apps.

So it appears that I will not be able to use the Watch Styler app for my Gear 2 anymore.

Thanks for the all the tips. I am sure I will have more questions as I play around with the watch more.

Thanks

Shawn

dianamg

Aug 26, 2012
Visit site
I dont have that watch styler app after reset of my phone and with only the gear s watch styler i have the same error loading themes. Can you help me please? is it any other app conflict?thanks

LadyDi

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I apologize if some of what I am about to say seems redundant, since it appears you already know how to get Watch Styler working on your Gear Neo. But the problems you are describing with the Gear S appear similar to some of the confusion I was experiencing when trying to use Watch Styler for the first time and went to load new themes. Part of the solution came when I read another post on this forum which mentioned the Gear Faces website as a source of premade themes. It's a great resource if, like me, you lack the artistic touch.

Most of my confusion arose because of how the Gear Manager and the Watch Styler apps work with each other and it took me a bit to figure out what worked by trial and error. It's confusing because it seems the Home Screen Styler within the Gear Manager app will trigger a part of the Watch Styler app when you click the settings icon, but it doesn't actually open the entire Watch Styler app to give you full functionality. You actually have to open the Watch Styler app from the app drawer to get the full functionality, including loading new themes. I'm no programmer so I don't know this is what's actually happening, but it's how it appears to be working based on my observations.

Here's the steps I used: (skip #1-3 if you just want the stock ones)

1. Go to the Gear Faces website and download any WS themes that catch your fancy.

2. Copy the downloaded files to your phone.

3. Open the Watch Styler app and use the Load Themes button to access and load the downloaded themes into the WS app. Since I downloaded the files to my phone, I used the My Files option. But you could probably use the Wi-Fi Direct or Beam Share options to combine steps 2 and 3 to get the files directly from your computer or another phone.

4. In the Watch Styler app, click on the desired theme to select it. Or use the New Theme button to create your own from scratch.

5. Once selected in the Watch Styler app, you can click Apply to put that theme in the list of available ones to use from within the Gear Manager settings for Watch Styler. You also have the option to Edit, Preview, Share or Delete the theme at this point.

6. Go to Gear Manager, then Home Screen Styler, then Clock, select WatchStylerGear3, then click the Settings icon.

7. The Settings screen that appears is very similar to the Theme screen in the Watch Styler app and can confuse you into thinking you are in the Watch Styler app where things should be editable. But you are not, it is only a selection point for themes previously sent from the Watch Styler app to the Gear Manager app. If you just loaded a different theme in Step #5 from what was previously loaded, you will see both the currently applied theme and the theme that "will be" applied. Otherwise, this will be the point where you can select a different theme to use for the "will be" applied selection.

8. Now another confusing step, that "will be" applied means just that: it "will be" applied the next time you switch to the Watch Styler as your Clock Type on the Gear S itself. It DOES NOT change your currently applied Watch Styler theme if you are currently using Watch Styler as your current Clock Type. To get the "will be" applied theme to load, you must change the Clock Type on the Gear S to a different Clock Type, let it change, then change it back to the Watch Styler. At this point, the "will be" applied theme will finally load from the phone to the Gear S and be usable.

I apologize if I have been even more confusing. I know I can tend to include too much detail in my instructions for others. But I am hoping you can follow along well enough to do the switching back and forth between the Gear Manager app, the Watch Styler app, and the Gear S itself to successfully get new themes loaded. Even after doing it several times, I still tend to lose track of where I am in the process. But the big picture way I think of it is this: Use the Watch Styler app alone to make changes to the styles you can use. The Gear Manager app can only see the finished product and deliver them, one at a time, to the Gear S. And finally, the Gear S only can store one Watch Styler theme at any time and asks the Gear Manager app for a new theme only when the Clock Type is changed from a different clock type to the Watch Styler.

This helped me loads and yes, I just picked this baby up a couple weeks ago. Love it!! Thank you Don Shock!!