Can I use the Gear S without a sim.

LinkinLake

Jan 14, 2015
Visit site
Hay guys, so I've been wanting to get the Gear S for a while now, but I would really rather not get a dedicated contract or increase my monthly bill. I've already been planning on buying off contact, but I worry I won't be able to use the watch to full functionality. Ideally I would want to use it the same way as a Gear 2, with the addition if the awesome screen, wifi functionality, and text forwarding. I don't plan on ever going without my phone unless it's for the music player so that wouldn't be a problem I believe.
What I'd really like to know is if I can use the Gear S without a dedicated Sim and contract, or even if a blank Sim would work because I have a few no contract Sims lying around. So if there's a way for me to do this then that'd be great!
Thanks guys!

Posted via the Android Central App

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Hay guys, so I've been wanting to get the Gear S for a while now, but I would really rather not get a dedicated contract or increase my monthly bill. I've already been planning on buying off contact, but I worry I won't be able to use the watch to full functionality. Ideally I would want to use it the same way as a Gear 2, with the addition if the awesome screen, wifi functionality, and text forwarding. I don't plan on ever going without my phone unless it's for the music player so that wouldn't be a problem I believe.
What I'd really like to know is if I can use the Gear S without a dedicated Sim and contract, or even if a blank Sim would work because I have a few no contract Sims lying around. So if there's a way for me to do this then that'd be great!
Thanks guys!

I'm not sure if it would work properly without a SIMM. At least all the features would not be available to you. One question I have for you is what service do you have for your cell phone? I have a T-Mobile Gear S, which has no contract (T-Mobile, the "uncarrier), and also have a TMO Note 4. My Gear S has the TMO nano SIMM and works seamlessly with my phone. Without a SIMM, I think it would just be a fancy looking, expensive wristwatch (that might not even be able to tell the correct time). Since I have a qualifying TMO Simple Choice plan, my monthly Gear S plan is:

No annual service contracts.
Just $5 monthly (after $10 monthly bill credit) when you also have a qualifying Simple Choice voice plan for a smartphone on your account.
Unlimited talk & text while on our network with no overages. Ever.
Up to 500MB of high-speed 4G LTE data.

Unlimited international data and text while roaming in 120+ countries and destinations and calls are just $0.20 per minute.
Music Freedom: unlimited streaming from great services like Milk Music™ that doesn’t count against your 4G LTE data allocation included at no extra charge with a Simple Choice Plan.

No annual service contracts.
Just $5 monthly (after $10 monthly bill credit) when you also have a qualifying Simple Choice voice plan for a smartphone on your account.
Unlimited talk & text while on our network with no overages. Ever.
Up to 500MB of high-speed 4G LTE data.

Unlimited international data and text while roaming in 120+ countries and destinations and calls are just $0.20 per minute.
Music Freedom: unlimited streaming from great services like Milk Music™ that doesn’t count against your 4G LTE data allocation included at no extra charge with a Simple Choice Plan.

I'm not sure if this helps you. But this is what I have.

mountainbikermark

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
You won't be able to use it remotely without Wi-Fi, make calls or anything else that requires a data network. As far as no physical SIM card, Verizon and Sprint don't use one anyway.

pinkivy98

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
No you do not need to have a SIM card or contract to use the watch. Just connect the watch to your phone via bluetooth.

sirCLD

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
Thanks guys!

You would be able to use it the same way as your Gear 2. As for text forwarding...messages, calendar items, weather, anything data related etc...you would have to be on a WiFi network (does NOT have to be the same WiFi network as the one your phone is on. Not the case for Apple watch! HA!). While on a WiFi network and not connected remotely to your phone, you can access data items such as the web via Opera Mini, use the CNN app...etc. It can do a lot more than tell time on a WiFi network and not connected to your phone.

Posted via the Android Central App using the Note 4

lyingfromyou

May 5, 2011
Visit site
I don't see why any of the watches wouldn't connect via bluetooth to a Samsung phone.

I bought my Gear S outright from Sprint and never activated it! In my opinion it is a unnecessary to pay extra for a data plan for a watch that does everything you need it to do via bluetooth. The only option you lack is for someone to be able to call or text your watch directly. It seems at the time anyways, a hassle to have to explain to your friends to call your watch if they can't reach you on your phone!

I have had absolutely no issues and am happy I didn't activate!

pinkivy98

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
I don't see why any of the watches wouldn't connect via bluetooth to a Samsung phone.

I bought my Gear S outright from Sprint and never activated it! In my opinion it is a unnecessary to pay extra for a data plan for a watch that does everything you need it to do via bluetooth. The only option you lack is for someone to be able to call or text your watch directly. It seems at the time anyways, a hassle to have to explain to your friends to call your watch if they can't reach you on your phone!

I have had absolutely no issues and am happy I didn't activate!

It's only $5 a month for me (Tmobile) and I love having the option of leaving my phone at home when I workout or leaving it at my desk when I go to meetings at work. I don't have to explain the number issue because I use my Google Voice number for my phone & watch.

mountainbikermark

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
It's only $5 a month for me (Tmobile) and I love having the option of leaving my phone at home when I workout or leaving it at my desk when I go to meetings at work. I don't have to explain the number issue because I use my Google Voice number for my phone & watch.
I just sent a text to those that matter to me from the watch asking them to save it to their address book as a second number for me. Nobody asked why, most don't even know I'm calling from my watch because I use the same Bluetooth earpiece (Moto Whisper) on my phone and watch.

Ultraman666

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
I use mine bluetooth only connected to my phone and I can pretty much do everything I want thru the watch using the gear notification extender. I dont need to pay extra for another phone line for just phone calls, I never really go anywhere with out my watch and my phone.

JnEricsonx

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
So, in the case of being able to get a AT+T Gear S fairly cheap, even plan-less off Ebay, would you say that's better version for instance me forking over a good amount more for a Verizon one?

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
So, in the case of being able to get a AT+T Gear S fairly cheap, even plan-less off Ebay, would you say that's better version for instance me forking over a good amount more for a Verizon one?

If you're going to use the watch without a SIM, it really doesn't matter what carrier the watch is from. Just buy it, set it up and connect to your phone through BT. You can still make and take calls through the watch while connected to through BT as well as send and receive text messages. You won't be able to do these though if you leave the phone at home and just take the watch.

JnEricsonx

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
So that's really the only difference in the end. While connected to my phone through BT, how does the online component work while my phone's data is on? Wifi with my phone's hotspot turned on, or what?

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
The BT will tunnel the internet connection for you. Besides, majority of the watches' feature relying on the apps on the phone to work. Only very few functions need go to internet directly, e.g. Opera Browser. In other words, your watch don't ever need to contact anything other than the phone unless you want to use the Opera. When you have phone next to you, there is really no reason to use Opera on a tiny screen anyway. But, Opera does work when going through BT connection.

JnEricsonx

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
Not sure what Opera is, but thanks for the heads up. I am strongly tempted to get the ATT version on ebay at this point, 214 bucks brand new. Gah....I need more people telling me its a cool thing to have and worth it.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Why not just get the Gear2 then? Its only Bluetooth enabled. No contract no worries. I would had gone with the S but like the 2 looks better . I wish Samsung had not changed the style. I think the 2 is more elegant...the complements I get on it confirm I baseball great choice

dorrien12

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
Why not just get the Gear2 then? Its only Bluetooth enabled. No contract no worries. I would had gone with the S but like the 2 looks better . I wish Samsung had not changed the style. I think the 2 is more elegant...the complements I get on it confirm I baseball great choice

I had the Gear 2 Neo, and I liked it. But I love the option of the Gear S having the SIM card. Most of the time, I use it Bluetooth connected but when needed I can leave my phone at home when I ride my bike, etc. And I love the big screen and the way it curves on my wrist. All in all, Samsung has a product for everyone, it's nice to have options.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I had the Gear 2 Neo, and I liked it. But I love the option of the Gear S having the SIM card. Most of the time, I use it Bluetooth connected but when needed I can leave my phone at home when I ride my bike, etc. And I love the big screen and the way it curves on my wrist. All in all, Samsung has a product for everyone, it's nice to have options.

Plus, you can use any sim card from the carrier the watch is tied to. I frequently use a sim card that had the $30 T-Mobile plan on it in my watch and it works perfectly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith